Обсуждение: new mailing list procedure

new mailing list procedure

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Hi,

Do we document the procedure to create a new mailing list somewhere?
I ask because I see that the pgsql-rrreviewers has existed for several
days, but it is not listed on http://archives.postgresql.org/ nor
http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/  To me this is pretty obvious
since the list wasn't added to the wwwmaster database.  However, maybe
we should make it clear the procedure so that next time we don't have
this problem.

I think the people creating lists (Marc?) and/or the people requesting
lists (Josh?) should be aware of the need to add lists to the database.

Josh Berkus
Дата:
Alvaro,

> I think the people creating lists (Marc?) and/or the people requesting
> lists (Josh?) should be aware of the need to add lists to the database.

Ah, first time I've heard of the database.  Where do I add stuff?

--Josh

Re: [sysadmins] new mailing list procedure

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do we document the procedure to create a new mailing list somewhere?
> I ask because I see that the pgsql-rrreviewers has existed for several
> days, but it is not listed on http://archives.postgresql.org/ nor
> http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/  To me this is pretty obvious
> since the list wasn't added to the wwwmaster database.  However, maybe
> we should make it clear the procedure so that next time we don't have
> this problem.

Has the creation even been announced/discussed on -www? I admit I may
well have missed it in the past couple of days ;-), but I would think I
had reminded people of that if it had.

But +1 for documenting the procedure.

//Magnus

Re: [sysadmins] new mailing list procedure

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: [sysadmins] new mailing list procedure

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Tuesday 04 November 2008 16:16:24 Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Do we document the procedure to create a new mailing list somewhere?
> > I ask because I see that the pgsql-rrreviewers has existed for several
> > days, but it is not listed on http://archives.postgresql.org/ nor
> > http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/  To me this is pretty obvious
> > since the list wasn't added to the wwwmaster database.  However, maybe
> > we should make it clear the procedure so that next time we don't have
> > this problem.
>
> Has the creation even been announced/discussed on -www? I admit I may
> well have missed it in the past couple of days ;-), but I would think I
> had reminded people of that if it had.

I think it was created on the sly, elsewise I'm sure I would have groused that
the issues discussed there could probably be discussed on hackers, that we
should be trying to avoid closed lists, and that we really don't need another
mailing list...

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net

"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 21:38 -0500, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 November 2008 16:16:24 Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > > Hi,

> I think it was created on the sly, elsewise I'm sure I would have groused that
> the issues discussed there could probably be discussed on hackers, that we
> should be trying to avoid closed lists, and that we really don't need another
> mailing list...

Well I don't know about the sly but I would certainly agree that there
probably isn't any reason for it to be private.

Joshua D. Drake

> --
> Robert Treat
> Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net
> Consulting: http://www.omniti.com

Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:
> I think it was created on the sly, elsewise I'm sure I would have groused that
> the issues discussed there could probably be discussed on hackers, that we
> should be trying to avoid closed lists, and that we really don't need another
> mailing list...

The creation of this list was mentioned on -core, and I did raise those
exact same objections. ;-)

Re: [sysadmins] new mailing list procedure

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> - --On Tuesday, November 04, 2008 11:06:00 -0300 Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
> > I think the people creating lists (Marc?) and/or the people requesting
> > lists (Josh?) should be aware of the need to add lists to the database.
>
> Oops, sorry, my impression from JoshB was that this wasn't a public list, so
> shouldn't be listed on archives / community-lists ...

If the list is supposed to be private, you must add it to the exclusions
of the rsync server; otherwise it will get copied.

In any case, it's obviously not private because Josh announced the
archives.pg.org URL publicly.

I agree with Robert and Peter about the (lack of) need for it.

"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 08:32 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> If the list is supposed to be private, you must add it to the exclusions
> of the rsync server; otherwise it will get copied.
>
> In any case, it's obviously not private because Josh announced the
> archives.pg.org URL publicly.
>
> I agree with Robert and Peter about the (lack of) need for it.

Here is a +1 vote to remove it. If it is a public list, -hackers can
handle it. If it is a private list... why?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Josh Berkus
Дата:
Josh, Robert, Peter,

> Here is a +1 vote to remove it. If it is a public list, -hackers can
> handle it. If it is a private list... why?

I adore the fact that none of you has volunteered to help organize the
commitfest or the Round Robin Reviewers, but seem intent on telling me
how to do so.   Is this an open source project, or a government agency?

Excuse me for being angry, but the assumption by members of this list
that I am either an idiot or have sinister intentions is both completely
undeserved and aggravating.

The -rrreviewers list exists to assign patches to volunteer Round Robin
Reviewers (which you would know if you'd bothered to read the list
description, or the RRR wiki page).  There is no discussion on the list,
just assignments.  As the person doing the assignments, the list makes
my life much easier.  Otherwise, I am forced to use private e-mail and
keep a list of who the reviewers are and their e-mail addresses on a
scratch pad.  Painful, time-consuming, and I lose track of people.  And
I can't easily turn over the task to others, as I have to do on Nov. 8
to Dave Page.

If we had *real* software for the commitfests, of course the
--rreviewers list would be unnecessary; I could assign a patch to a
volunteer and the system would e-mail them.   But we don't have the
software, so we need the list.

--Josh Berkus

Re: [sysadmins] new mailing list procedure

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:

> The -rrreviewers list exists to assign patches to volunteer Round Robin
> Reviewers (which you would know if you'd bothered to read the list
> description, or the RRR wiki page).

Hey, I came up with the list description out of thin air ;-)

> There is no discussion on the list,
> just assignments.  As the person doing the assignments, the list makes
> my life much easier.  Otherwise, I am forced to use private e-mail and
> keep a list of who the reviewers are and their e-mail addresses on a
> scratch pad.  Painful, time-consuming, and I lose track of people.  And
> I can't easily turn over the task to others, as I have to do on Nov. 8
> to Dave Page.

OK, so I was going to opine that it's just as good to post the
assignments to pgsql-hackers, but then thought that it's not such a hot
idea given the wider distribution of it.  However, I just checked the
archives of -rrreviewers and I notice two things:

1. the traffic is very low
2. reviews have started being crossposted to -rrreviewers and -hackers
(worse yet, posted only to the former)

Josh Berkus
Дата:
Alvaro,

>> The -rrreviewers list exists to assign patches to volunteer Round Robin
>> Reviewers (which you would know if you'd bothered to read the list
>> description, or the RRR wiki page).
>
> Hey, I came up with the list description out of thin air ;-)

Huh?  There's a full description on the listserv, from the creation of
the list.  Are you not able to access that?

> 1. the traffic is very low

I'm not concerned about the impact it would have on -hackers.  I am
concerned about reviewers missing their assignments because -hackers is
~~100 posts/day.   Also, --rrreviews makes it easy and clear how to join
as an RRR; you subscribe to the mailing list (see RRR wiki page).

> 2. reviews have started being crossposted to -rrreviewers and -hackers
> (worse yet, posted only to the former)

Oh, you're right, the cross-posting is annoying.  Have posted behavioral
correction to --rrreviewers.

Again, --rrr is not an ideal solution.  We need commitfest software
which is capable of e-mailing people.  But an --rrr list is much better
than relying on my private mailbox.

--Josh

Re: [sysadmins] new mailing list procedure

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Alvaro,
>
>>> The -rrreviewers list exists to assign patches to volunteer Round
>>> Robin  Reviewers (which you would know if you'd bothered to read the
>>> list  description, or the RRR wiki page).
>>
>> Hey, I came up with the list description out of thin air ;-)
>
> Huh?  There's a full description on the listserv, from the creation of
> the list.  Are you not able to access that?

Hah -- in the majordomo interface, the lovely thing!  I do have access
to that, but I didn't remember it existed.  I just updated the database
with the description on it.

>> 1. the traffic is very low
>
> I'm not concerned about the impact it would have on -hackers.  I am
> concerned about reviewers missing their assignments because -hackers is
> ~~100 posts/day.   Also, --rrreviews makes it easy and clear how to join
> as an RRR; you subscribe to the mailing list (see RRR wiki page).

Hmm, those are both good points I think.

>> 2. reviews have started being crossposted to -rrreviewers and -hackers
>> (worse yet, posted only to the former)
>
> Oh, you're right, the cross-posting is annoying.  Have posted behavioral
> correction to --rrreviewers.

Maybe it should be a moderated list?

> Again, --rrr is not an ideal solution.  We need commitfest software
> which is capable of e-mailing people.

Something to keep in mind if we ever implement "commitfest software".

Josh Berkus
Дата:
Alvaro,

>>> 2. reviews have started being crossposted to -rrreviewers and -hackers
>>> (worse yet, posted only to the former)
>> Oh, you're right, the cross-posting is annoying.  Have posted behavioral
>> correction to --rrreviewers.
>
> Maybe it should be a moderated list?

I think it's more informative if I send people "don't post this here"
replies *on* the list.

--Josh

Re: [sysadmins] new mailing list procedure

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 11:20 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh, Robert, Peter,
>
> > Here is a +1 vote to remove it. If it is a public list, -hackers can
> > handle it. If it is a private list... why?
>
> I adore the fact that none of you has volunteered to help organize the
> commitfest or the Round Robin Reviewers, but seem intent on telling me
> how to do so.   Is this an open source project, or a government agency?
>
> Excuse me for being angry, but the assumption by members of this list
> that I am either an idiot or have sinister intentions is both completely
> undeserved and aggravating.

I feel the same way. I mean who are these people that comment on my
work? And in public too. How dare they express their opinions when it
was me that wrote the patch?  ;-)

Look on the bright side, you don't have a deadline to organise the
reviews...

Thanks for your efforts, Josh. Things are improving and discussion on
the process has helped that just as much as discussion on the software.

Re: [sysadmins] new mailing list procedure

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Marc,

> Oops, sorry, my impression from JoshB was that this wasn't a public
> list, so shouldn't be listed on archives / community-lists ...

Oh, no, it's public.  No reason for it to be secret.  I was going to
moderate subscriptions, but then I realized there was no reason to.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL
San Francisco

Robert Treat
Дата:
On Wednesday 05 November 2008 14:20:16 Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh, Robert, Peter,
>
> > Here is a +1 vote to remove it. If it is a public list, -hackers can
> > handle it. If it is a private list... why?
>
> I adore the fact that none of you has volunteered to help organize the
> commitfest or the Round Robin Reviewers, but seem intent on telling me
> how to do so.   Is this an open source project, or a government agency?

I adore the fact that at the end of the last commitfest, I mentioned that you
were supposed to have a helper and you told me you felt ok to handle things
without it, but I am now getting chastised for not volunteering to help...

Postgres, the worlds most adorable open source database.

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net
Consulting: http://www.omniti.com

"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 5:39 AM, Robert Treat
<xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 November 2008 14:20:16 Josh Berkus wrote:
>> I adore the fact that none of you has volunteered to help organize the
>> commitfest or the Round Robin Reviewers, but seem intent on telling me
>> how to do so.   Is this an open source project, or a government agency?
>>

> I adore the fact that at the end of the last commitfest, I mentioned that you
> were supposed to have a helper and you told me you felt ok to handle things
> without it, but I am now getting chastised for not volunteering to help...
>
> Postgres, the worlds most adorable open source database.

Ahh, how sweet :-). Isn't it lovely when everyone plays together nicely?

--
Dave Page

"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 08:47 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 5:39 AM, Robert Treat
> > Postgres, the worlds most adorable open source database.
>
> Ahh, how sweet :-). Isn't it lovely when everyone plays together nicely?

Does this mean I have to change this graphic?

http://www.commandprompt.com/images/mammoth_versus_dolphin_500.jpg