Обсуждение: Commit fest Wiki URLs

Commit fest Wiki URLs

Дата:
Now that the September commitfest is over, the InProgress commitfest URL
should point to November:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/CommitFestInProgress

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Commit fest Wiki URLs

Дата:
> Now that the September commitfest is over, the InProgress commitfest URL
> should point to November:

Well, no, because November isn't "in progress" yet.

ISTR that we were going to have a dummy page to point the redirect to
between fests.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Commit fest Wiki URLs

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Now that the September commitfest is over, the InProgress commitfest URL
> > should point to November:
>
> Well, no, because November isn't "in progress" yet.
>
> ISTR that we were going to have a dummy page to point the redirect to
> between fests.

Well, I was hoping for something that would hope to the new open commit
fest page when the previous one closed.  That commit fest is in progress
in the sense that people can commit from there anytime, even before the
commit fest officially starts.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Commit fest Wiki URLs

Дата:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> ISTR that we were going to have a dummy page to point the redirect to
>> between fests.

> Well, I was hoping for something that would hope to the new open commit
> fest page when the previous one closed.  That commit fest is in progress
> in the sense that people can commit from there anytime, even before the
> commit fest officially starts.

You're confusing "in progress" with "open".  The open page is the one
linked to by CommitFestOpen.  Please don't fuzz the distinction between
two perfectly good links.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Commit fest Wiki URLs

От
"Brendan Jurd"
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 8:34 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> You're confusing "in progress" with "open".  The open page is the one
> linked to by CommitFestOpen.  Please don't fuzz the distinction between
> two perfectly good links.

Correct.  CommitFestOpen was changed to point at the November
commitfest as soon as the September one closed for new submissions
(started).

CommitFestOpen = the place to submit your patch
CommitFestInProgress = the place we are reviewing patches

Whilst November isn't technically "in progress" yet, it is the place
that a person wishing to review a patch would want to go.  And I think
having InProgress redirect there probably has more utility than a
dummy page.

Cheers,
BJ

Re: Commit fest Wiki URLs

Дата:
"Brendan Jurd" <direvus@gmail.com> writes:
> Whilst November isn't technically "in progress" yet, it is the place
> that a person wishing to review a patch would want to go.  And I think
> having InProgress redirect there probably has more utility than a
> dummy page.

Okay, but there's still a problem with this proposal.  With the current
templates it's easy (one more click) to get from InProgress to Open.
If we change this there won't be any simple way to get to "the fest just
past".  Personally I've had occasion to refer to the September page more
times than the November page since September closed.  I realize that the
half-life of that need will be fairly short, but it's a real need at the
moment.

Perhaps we could solve this if each fest page had a link back to the
prior one?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Commit fest Wiki URLs

От
"Brendan Jurd"
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 11:00 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Okay, but there's still a problem with this proposal.  With the current
> templates it's easy (one more click) to get from InProgress to Open.
> If we change this there won't be any simple way to get to "the fest just
> past".
> Perhaps we could solve this if each fest page had a link back to the
> prior one?

I agree, and I proposed a solution for this [1] a while back.  Nobody
seemed to care much so I didn't pursue it.  The idea was to have a
navigation bar at the bottom (or top -- I don't have a strong
preference but these things are usually found at the bottom in
Wikipedia articles) of each commitfest page, with links to the
previous and following commitfests.

In hindsight my proposal may well have been overkill.  By virtue of
the fact that we are using categories, there is a Zero Additional
Effort way to navigate around the various commitfest pages: just go to
the category page.  The closed commitfest pages are partioned off into
a subcategory:
   http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Category:CommitFest   http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Category:Closed_Commitfests

I don't know if this is convenient enough for your needs, but it's there now.

Cheers,
BJ

[1] http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/37ed240d0807060758u36f25efbwa71d519c770f8b07@mail.gmail.com

Re: Commit fest Wiki URLs

Дата:
"Brendan Jurd" <direvus@gmail.com> writes:
> In hindsight my proposal may well have been overkill.  By virtue of
> the fact that we are using categories, there is a Zero Additional
> Effort way to navigate around the various commitfest pages: just go to
> the category page.

Maybe zero effort from the wiki maintainer's point of view ;-).  That
path requires at least three clicks, plus the mental bandwidth to decide
which of the closed-fest pages is the most recent.  Bruce is complaining
about *one* extra click to get from CommitFestInProgress to where he
really wants to be --- which is legitimate, but I don't want to serve
that need at the cost of a large complexity increase in going the other
way.

Plan B would be to have a CommitFestPast redirect, which would be
updated as a part of the close-a-commitfest procedure.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Commit fest Wiki URLs

От
"Brendan Jurd"
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 11:26 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Plan B would be to have a CommitFestPast redirect, which would be
> updated as a part of the close-a-commitfest procedure.

Yep, that works too =)

Although maybe "Past" is a little ambiguous.  All of the closed
commitfests are "past", we want to indicate that it's the most
recently closed one.  "Previous"?

Or, since we are database developers after all,
"SelectNameFromCommitFestWhereStatusEqualsClosedOrderByDateDescLimitOne"
should do the trick.

Cheers,
BJ

Re: Commit fest Wiki URLs

Дата:
"Brendan Jurd" <direvus@gmail.com> writes:
> On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 11:26 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Plan B would be to have a CommitFestPast redirect, which would be
>> updated as a part of the close-a-commitfest procedure.

> Although maybe "Past" is a little ambiguous.  All of the closed
> commitfests are "past", we want to indicate that it's the most
> recently closed one.  "Previous"?

Sure, works for me.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Commit fest Wiki URLs

От
"Brendan Jurd"
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 12:15 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Although maybe "Past" is a little ambiguous.  All of the closed
>> commitfests are "past", we want to indicate that it's the most
>> recently closed one.  "Previous"?
>
> Sure, works for me.

It's done.  CommitFestPrevious now points to September, I've added
instructions in CommitFest Help, and listed the new redirect at
CommitFest.

Cheers,
BJ