Обсуждение: wiki.postgresql.org is awfully slow this evening

wiki.postgresql.org is awfully slow this evening

Дата:
Is anyone else seeing verrrry slllooowww response from the PG wiki?
        regards, tom lane

Re: wiki.postgresql.org is awfully slow this evening

От
Josh Berkus
Tom Lane wrote:
> Is anyone else seeing verrrry slllooowww response from the PG wiki?

Yep.  I've given up on assigning reviewers for the evening.  Keeps
timing out.

--Josh

Re: wiki.postgresql.org is awfully slow this evening

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Is anyone else seeing verrrry slllooowww response from the PG wiki?
>
> Yep.  I've given up on assigning reviewers for the evening.  Keeps
> timing out.

I have received Nagios timeouts today on the French boxen. I believe the
wiki is hosted over there. I am sure they will report on the status
shortly; they are pretty good about that.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> --Josh

Re: wiki.postgresql.org is awfully slow this evening

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Is anyone else seeing verrrry slllooowww response from the PG wiki?
>>
>> Yep.  I've given up on assigning reviewers for the evening.  Keeps
>> timing out.
>
> I have received Nagios timeouts today on the French boxen. I believe the
> wiki is hosted over there. I am sure they will report on the status
> shortly; they are pretty good about that.

while I cannot confirm an actual network related issue (latency tracking
from remus which is in austria shows no problem for the last 24h) we had
two runaway cvsps processes in the git jail(which is on the same
physical host as the wiki) that more or less hogged all the CPU on the box.

Stefan

Re: wiki.postgresql.org is awfully slow this evening

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

Re: wiki.postgresql.org is awfully slow this evening

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg@turnstep.com> wrote:

>> from remus which is in austria shows no problem for the last 24h) we had
>> two runaway cvsps processes in the git jail(which is on the same
>> physical host as the wiki) that more or less hogged all the CPU on the box.
>
> Oh for Pete's sake, can we please get away from jails and just use
> dedicated servers? We've had enough people volunteer hardware and
> time to make this happen.

No we haven't - not even remotely. At a rough count we'd need at least
another 17 servers (based on the current number of VMs), and we'd lose
the ability to move services between hardware quickly and easily. Oh,
and we'd have the management headache of dealing with a bunch more
hosting providers, as I doubt the current ones will give us that many
boxes.

--
Dave Page

Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg@turnstep.com> wrote:
>>

>>> from remus which is in austria shows no problem for the last 24h) we had
>>> two runaway cvsps processes in the git jail(which is on the same
>>> physical host as the wiki) that more or less hogged all the CPU on the box.
>> Oh for Pete's sake, can we please get away from jails and just use
>> dedicated servers? We've had enough people volunteer hardware and
>> time to make this happen.
>
> No we haven't - not even remotely. At a rough count we'd need at least
> another 17 servers (based on the current number of VMs), and we'd lose
> the ability to move services between hardware quickly and easily. Oh,
> and we'd have the management headache of dealing with a bunch more
> hosting providers, as I doubt the current ones will give us that many
> boxes.

*cough*

Yes I think they would.

That being said :) I think its a mistake. It would be a complete waste
of resources to go to dedicated machines. Some of the machines we have
we hardly use at this point.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: wiki.postgresql.org is awfully slow this evening

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 3:32 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> No we haven't - not even remotely. At a rough count we'd need at least
>> another 17 servers (based on the current number of VMs), and we'd lose
>> the ability to move services between hardware quickly and easily. Oh,
>> and we'd have the management headache of dealing with a bunch more
>> hosting providers, as I doubt the current ones will give us that many
>> boxes.
>
> *cough*
>
> Yes I think they would.

Ya think? I'm struggling to see which of our 6 providers would pony up
more than a couple more machines.

> That being said :) I think its a mistake. It would be a complete waste of
> resources to go to dedicated machines. Some of the machines we have we
> hardly use at this point.

I think most are certainly used, but some require much fewer resources
than others.

--
Dave Page