Обсуждение: Re: IM

Re: IM

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Hi,

I'm unhappy about our Jabber server.  This is what Bruce just told me
about it:

> Frankly I think the whole idea of running our own jabber server is crazy
> and has caused all sorts of confusion.

In my opinion, it has been a very useful tool, but there are some
implementation restrictions that make it much less useful than it could
be.  Bruce continues:

> I have been promised an account
> on that server many times but it never happened.  For me the jabber
> server has turned into a secret clubhouse, which isn't very effective
> for moving the community forward.  Do you guys look at girely magazines
> in there or what?  :-)

You have to admit that this "secret clubhouse" thing is there all right.
Who gets an account, and how it is named, is a complete mistery.  I see
two accounts that have never connected at all: one is named
"brucemomjian" and the other is "petereisentraut".  Does anybody think
that they are inactive members of the community?  I don't.

But I also have no clue why would anyone choose such an username.  I
know I would be very annoyed if somebody offered me an account named
"alvaroherrera".

Bruce closes with

> As far as I know I don't have an account, and if I do I have no idea
> what my password is.

So there's another problem here: somebody created accounts, but the
person who was supposed to use it has no clue about it.

This all started because Bruce wasn't able to talk to me on IM.  I said
"hey, add my jabber.postgresql.org account to your momjian.us account
and we should connect."  But it didn't work at all.  Bruce gets a weird
XMPP 404 error; apparently the Jabber server is just not able to talk to
outside jabber servers.  I know it was capable of doing so some days ago
-- I tested it myself.  Now it's messed up again.

I really hate to have to waste time complaining about something that
someone else wasted time to set up.  But if we're gonna offer a service,
let's provide said service.

--
Alvaro Herrera                        http://www.advogato.org/person/alvherre
"The eagle never lost so much time, as

Re: IM

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 4:29 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
>  > As far as I know I don't have an account, and if I do I have no idea
>  > what my password is.
>
>  So there's another problem here: somebody created accounts, but the
>  person who was supposed to use it has no clue about it.

Yeah, the same thing happened to me a while back. I re-installed the
OS on may laptop and for a few weeks was unable to login. It was only
when I managed to chat with JD on the phone that we realised my
username was davepage instead of dpage which I use pretty much
everywhere else :-(

>  This all started because Bruce wasn't able to talk to me on IM.  I said
>  "hey, add my jabber.postgresql.org account to your momjian.us account
>  and we should connect."  But it didn't work at all.  Bruce gets a weird
>  XMPP 404 error; apparently the Jabber server is just not able to talk to
>  outside jabber servers.  I know it was capable of doing so some days ago
>  -- I tested it myself.  Now it's messed up again.
>
>  I really hate to have to waste time complaining about something that
>  someone else wasted time to set up.  But if we're gonna offer a service,
>  let's provide said service.

Much as I hate to say it, the jabber service is almost entirely a
CommandPrompt thing. That's not to say we don't support the idea of
having one - just that the guys there (obviously not you) set it up
and maintain it, whilst none of the rest of us know anything about it.
It is documented on PMT, but unfortunately not in a particularly
useful way (it basically says - jabber(.postgresql.org) is a jabber
server!!).

I'm happy for us to take a more active role managing it, but we could
use some details on how it all works on PMT.

--
Dave Page

Re: IM

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Donnerstag, 8. Mai 2008 schrieb Alvaro Herrera:
> You have to admit that this "secret clubhouse" thing is there all right.
> Who gets an account, and how it is named, is a complete mistery.  I see
> two accounts that have never connected at all: one is named
> "brucemomjian" and the other is "petereisentraut".  Does anybody think
> that they are inactive members of the community?  I don't.

I know I have this account, but I did not actually request it and I never
bothered to use it because I have enough other IM accounts (including jabber)
that are relatively public knowledge and that PostgreSQL folks are welcome to
use.  In my experience, there are plenty of free Jabber services available.
I don't see an advantage in running our own, considering the management
overhead.

Re: IM

От
Alvaro Herrera
Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 4:29 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

> >  This all started because Bruce wasn't able to talk to me on IM.  I said
> >  "hey, add my jabber.postgresql.org account to your momjian.us account
> >  and we should connect."  But it didn't work at all.  Bruce gets a weird
> >  XMPP 404 error; apparently the Jabber server is just not able to talk to
> >  outside jabber servers.  I know it was capable of doing so some days ago
> >  -- I tested it myself.  Now it's messed up again.
> >
> >  I really hate to have to waste time complaining about something that
> >  someone else wasted time to set up.  But if we're gonna offer a service,
> >  let's provide said service.
>
> Much as I hate to say it, the jabber service is almost entirely a
> CommandPrompt thing. That's not to say we don't support the idea of
> having one - just that the guys there (obviously not you) set it up
> and maintain it, whilst none of the rest of us know anything about it.

Okay.  Just before sending the email I was talking to Devrim about it,
and he said he doesn't want to be involved in that server at all.  So
what this leaves us with is that only Joshua Drake is in charge of the
server.

We (the community) have long seen this kind of situation as
inacceptable, where a single person is in charge of services.  Now it's
frowned upon that only Marc has access to our Majordomo or DNS, for
example (even if he chooses to ignore the raised eyebrows).  I know
Joshua is not a control freak :-) so I guess the current situation is
more the result of an unfortunate sequence of events than anything else.

> It is documented on PMT, but unfortunately not in a particularly
> useful way (it basically says - jabber(.postgresql.org) is a jabber
> server!!).

True :-(

> I'm happy for us to take a more active role managing it, but we could
> use some details on how it all works on PMT.

I'll talk to Joshua about it.  Thanks.

Re: IM

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 4:47 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:

>  We (the community) have long seen this kind of situation as
>  inacceptable, where a single person is in charge of services.  Now it's
>  frowned upon that only Marc has access to our Majordomo or DNS, for
>  example (even if he chooses to ignore the raised eyebrows).

Actually there are a couple of us with access to that stuff - in the
mj2 case though the problem is largely that only Marc has gone to the
trouble of learning how it works.

> I know
>  Joshua is not a control freak :-) so I guess the current situation is
>  more the result of an unfortunate sequence of events than anything else.

Yeah.

--
Dave Page

Re: IM

От
"Gavin M. Roy"
Дата:
> Much as I hate to say it, the jabber service is almost entirely a
> CommandPrompt thing. That's not to say we don't support the idea of
> having one - just that the guys there (obviously not you) set it up
> and maintain it, whilst none of the rest of us know anything about it.
> It is documented on PMT, but unfortunately not in a particularly
> useful way (it basically says - jabber(.postgresql.org) is a jabber
> server!!).

As a suggestion, it can easily be made into a more community thing if
we used Openfire.  It's got a nice web-UI and pgsql-www people could
be made into admins who can log into said UI and more easily manage
it.  It's also got a nice built in web based jabber client (Spark)
which could be handy.  It also (optionally) uses PgSQL as a backend
for buddy list storage and the like.

Gavin

Re: IM

От
"Selena Deckelmann"
Дата:
On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 8:51 AM, Gavin M. Roy <gmr@myyearbook.com> wrote:
>> Much as I hate to say it, the jabber service is almost entirely a
>> CommandPrompt thing. That's not to say we don't support the idea of
>> having one - just that the guys there (obviously not you) set it up
>> and maintain it, whilst none of the rest of us know anything about it.
>> It is documented on PMT, but unfortunately not in a particularly
>> useful way (it basically says - jabber(.postgresql.org) is a jabber
>> server!!).
>
> As a suggestion, it can easily be made into a more community thing if
> we used Openfire.  It's got a nice web-UI and pgsql-www people could
> be made into admins who can log into said UI and more easily manage
> it.  It's also got a nice built in web based jabber client (Spark)
> which could be handy.  It also (optionally) uses PgSQL as a backend
> for buddy list storage and the like.

We use OpenFire at work, and it rocks.

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann
United States PostgreSQL Association - http://www.postgresql.us

Re: IM

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Gavin M. Roy wrote:
>> Much as I hate to say it, the jabber service is almost entirely a
>> CommandPrompt thing. That's not to say we don't support the idea of
>> having one - just that the guys there (obviously not you) set it up
>> and maintain it, whilst none of the rest of us know anything about it.
>> It is documented on PMT, but unfortunately not in a particularly
>> useful way (it basically says - jabber(.postgresql.org) is a jabber
>> server!!).
>
> As a suggestion, it can easily be made into a more community thing if
> we used Openfire.

It does use open fire.

Re: IM

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Gavin M. Roy wrote:
> > Much as I hate to say it, the jabber service is almost entirely a
> > CommandPrompt thing. That's not to say we don't support the idea of
> > having one - just that the guys there (obviously not you) set it up
> > and maintain it, whilst none of the rest of us know anything about it.
> > It is documented on PMT, but unfortunately not in a particularly
> > useful way (it basically says - jabber(.postgresql.org) is a jabber
> > server!!).
>
> As a suggestion, it can easily be made into a more community thing if
> we used Openfire.  It's got a nice web-UI and pgsql-www people could
> be made into admins who can log into said UI and more easily manage
> it.  It's also got a nice built in web based jabber client (Spark)
> which could be handy.  It also (optionally) uses PgSQL as a backend
> for buddy list storage and the like.

AFAIK it's actually OpenFire, or perhaps it's a WildFire installation
waiting to be upgraded.

Re: IM

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 4:47 PM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> I know
>>  Joshua is not a control freak :-) so I guess the current situation is
>>  more the result of an unfortunate sequence of events than anything else.
>
> Yeah.

I think people are having a tendency to forget history here. The jabber
service is something that I set up for people. It was not a .Org
service. I asked for a .Org name but it was understood at the time that
this was pretty much a JD bag. In fact at the time, there were many that
didn't even see the point in the service.

The service has grown (which I am happy about) and it is beginning to
become more of a central item for the community. This is why for example
we have been testing the ability for the service to talk to other jabber
servers (which seems to work but muc is broke). It is also why I
reaffirmed the policy with sysadmins recently. The policy is this:

Contributors may have an account if they please.
The system is being configured to allow outbound connections.

If there are people that would like to help manage the jabber service,
that's cool.

Let's keep it real.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: IM

От
"Gavin M. Roy"
Great :)

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 12:10 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Gavin M. Roy wrote:
>>>
>>> Much as I hate to say it, the jabber service is almost entirely a
>>> CommandPrompt thing. That's not to say we don't support the idea of
>>> having one - just that the guys there (obviously not you) set it up
>>> and maintain it, whilst none of the rest of us know anything about it.
>>> It is documented on PMT, but unfortunately not in a particularly
>>> useful way (it basically says - jabber(.postgresql.org) is a jabber
>>> server!!).
>>
>> As a suggestion, it can easily be made into a more community thing if
>> we used Openfire.
>
> It does use open fire.

Re: IM

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
>> On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 4:47 PM, Alvaro Herrera
>> <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>>> I know
>>>  Joshua is not a control freak :-) so I guess the current situation is
>>>  more the result of an unfortunate sequence of events than anything else.
>>
>> Yeah.
>
> I think people are having a tendency to forget history here. The jabber
> service is something that I set up for people. It was not a .Org
> service. I asked for a .Org name but it was understood at the time that
> this was pretty much a JD bag. In fact at the time, there were many that
> didn't even see the point in the service.

I'm sorry to disagree, but if you give it a postgresql.org name, then it
is implicit that it is a community service.

Re: IM

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: IM

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Thu, 8 May 2008 12:19:50 -0400
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> > I think people are having a tendency to forget history here. The
> > jabber service is something that I set up for people. It was not
> > a .Org service. I asked for a .Org name but it was understood at
> > the time that this was pretty much a JD bag. In fact at the time,
> > there were many that didn't even see the point in the service.
>
> I'm sorry to disagree, but if you give it a postgresql.org name, then
> it is implicit that it is a community service.

*sigh* it really doesn't matter does it? The facts are the facts. That
is the way the service was provisioned, that is the way it has been
since its inception.

For the record (again):
1. We use OpenFire, formerly Wildfire
2. Jabber has been configured to allow external connections. This was
tested and seemed to work. I note now that it does not for some reason
(I will check it) but the proper thing to do would have been to open a
ticket on PMT.
3. Bruce has *not* requested an account many times. He has requested
an account, yes which is why he has one. Did I perhaps forget to send
him his credentials, maybe. Should Bruce have just pinged or called
(yes, he has my phone number) me and say, "Hey JD WTH?". Yes. Which the
problem would have been resolved a lot quicker than the lovely
stateless communication we are all burning time on.
4. Any contributor can have an account.
5. If people want to help manage the jabber service, please contact me
directly. My preference is that it would be someone who is already a
.Org sysadmin.

I repeat, keep it real.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: IM

От
"Gavin M. Roy"
Дата:
With openfire an account only needs to be flagged as an admin account
and one can login to the web UI and admin the service.  Access to the
box really isn't a pre-requisite from that perspective.

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 12:25 PM, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:

Re: IM

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
On Thursday 08 May 2008 09:55, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > I'm sorry to disagree, but if you give it a postgresql.org name, then
> > it is implicit that it is a community service.
>
> *sigh* it really doesn't matter does it? The facts are the facts. That
> is the way the service was provisioned, that is the way it has been
> since its inception.

<sarcasm>Heh, yet more evidence how all the CMD folks always agree with each
other.</sarcasm>

Personally, I could care less about who manages jabber if it would stop
kicking me off for 1/2 hour twice a day.

Some kind of public sign-up page would be nice, though; even if we're adding
people through this list it's still not known to be available to the larger
community.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: IM

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Thu, 8 May 2008 11:56:01 -0700
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> Personally, I could care less about who manages jabber if it would
> stop kicking me off for 1/2 hour twice a day.

I don't experience this behavior. Does anyone else?

> Some kind of public sign-up page would be nice, though; even if we're
> adding people through this list it's still not known to be available
> to the larger community.

I would agree that the service should documented somewhere. I will add
it to my things to do to the /community links.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: IM

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Thu, 8 May 2008 15:01:05 -0400
"Gavin M. Roy" <gmr@myyearbook.com> wrote:

> JD: you should consider upgrading to 3.5.1 if you haven't already...
> There are a fair # of bugfixes and such.

Actually in review I see now, that we are still running the old
wildfire. I will schedule that to be upgraded. It was jabber.cmd that
was openfire was upgraded to.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: IM

От
"Gavin M. Roy"

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 08 May 2008 09:55, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> > I'm sorry to disagree, but if you give it a postgresql.org name, then
>> > it is implicit that it is a community service.
>>
>> *sigh* it really doesn't matter does it? The facts are the facts. That
>> is the way the service was provisioned, that is the way it has been
>> since its inception.
>
> <sarcasm>Heh, yet more evidence how all the CMD folks always agree with each
> other.</sarcasm>
>
> Personally, I could care less about who manages jabber if it would stop
> kicking me off for 1/2 hour twice a day.
>
> Some kind of public sign-up page would be nice, though; even if we're adding
> people through this list it's still not known to be available to the larger
> community.
>
> --
> Josh Berkus
> PostgreSQL @ Sun
> San Francisco

Re: IM

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 8:12 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 8 May 2008 11:56:01 -0700
>
> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>

> > Personally, I could care less about who manages jabber if it would
>  > stop kicking me off for 1/2 hour twice a day.
>
>  I don't experience this behavior. Does anyone else?

I don't.

--
Dave Page

Re: IM

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Thursday 08 May 2008 15:28:37 Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 8:12 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com>
wrote:
> > On Thu, 8 May 2008 11:56:01 -0700
> >
> > Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> > > Personally, I could care less about who manages jabber if it would
> > >
> >  > stop kicking me off for 1/2 hour twice a day.
> >
> >  I don't experience this behavior. Does anyone else?
>
> I don't.

me niether.

--
Robert Treat

Re: IM

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
All,

> > >  > stop kicking me off for 1/2 hour twice a day.
> > >
> > >  I don't experience this behavior. Does anyone else?
> >
> > I don't.
>
> me niether.

Bizarre.  It's pretty regular.  Happens to me pretty much every day -- I get
kicked off and can't login again for 20min or so.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: IM

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,

> > > I don't.
> >
> > me niether.
>
> Bizarre.  It's pretty regular.  Happens to me pretty much every day
> -- I get kicked off and can't login again for 20min or so.

It doesn't happen to me either. What does happen, is that if I'm for
some reason kicked off the network itself (say the WWAN drops or
something like that), I get kicked off for 20 mins or so (error saying
something about "conflict"). But as long as my own local network
connection is stable, I don't get kicked off.

//Magnus

Re: IM

От
Tino Wildenhain
Дата:
Hi,

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 8. Mai 2008 schrieb Alvaro Herrera:
>> You have to admit that this "secret clubhouse" thing is there all right.

> use.  In my experience, there are plenty of free Jabber services available.
> I don't see an advantage in running our own, considering the management
> overhead.

personally I'm wondering whats really the use of IM when we already have
IRC available? I mean, after all IM's capabilities are just a subset of
IRC's. I use IM's to have contact with non IRC-People, but does this
service really make sense for postgres?

The only usefull thing could be to proof that Jabber can be run on top
of postgres in case something like this needs to be set up in a company.
:-)

Just my thoughts...

Tino

Re: IM