Обсуждение: pgsql-committers list is misconfigured

pgsql-committers list is misconfigured

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Hi,

Again a message to pgsql-committers went unsent.  Bruce committed
changes to several README files, and I didn't get the email and it's not
on the archives either:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2008-03/
(I guess it's somewhere on Maia's queue.)  For example see rev 1.5 here:
http://anoncvs.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/src/backend/access/gin/README

Also, I sent an email with a fake @pgfoundry.org address this morning,
and it passed without requiring moderator approval.  Also, I added a
X-No-Archive header to avoid having the test message appearing on the
archives, but to no effect -- the message is there all right:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2008-03/msg00393.php

I think the idea here is that any pgfoundry.org address passes through
unmolested to allow the pgfoundry projects to publish their changes to
pgsql-committers.  I think this is a mistake, and others have vouched
against this idea too (most notably Peter Eisentraut.)

Finally, and what prompted this test message, was the fact that Heikki
committed a patch this morning and his message got stuck in the
moderation queue.  I wonder how smart it is to be letting @pgfoundry.org
mails unchecked, but have @postgresql.org addresses filtered ... ??

Re: pgsql-committers list is misconfigured

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 7:25 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:

>  Also, I sent an email with a fake @pgfoundry.org address this morning,
>  and it passed without requiring moderator approval.  Also, I added a
>  X-No-Archive header to avoid having the test message appearing on the
>  archives, but to no effect -- the message is there all right:
>  http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2008-03/msg00393.php

I'm not sure that we actually honour that header.

>  I think the idea here is that any pgfoundry.org address passes through
>  unmolested to allow the pgfoundry projects to publish their changes to
>  pgsql-committers.  I think this is a mistake, and others have vouched
>  against this idea too (most notably Peter Eisentraut.)

No, this is entirely intentional.

>  Finally, and what prompted this test message, was the fact that Heikki
>  committed a patch this morning and his message got stuck in the
>  moderation queue.  I wonder how smart it is to be letting @pgfoundry.org
>  mails unchecked, but have @postgresql.org addresses filtered ... ??

We only add postgresql.org addresses very occasionally, but pgFoundry
committers may be added much more frequently and without our
knowledge.

--
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK Ltd: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: pgsql-committers list is misconfigured

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Again a message to pgsql-committers went unsent.  Bruce committed
> changes to several README files, and I didn't get the email and it's not
> on the archives either:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2008-03/
> (I guess it's somewhere on Maia's queue.)  For example see rev 1.5 here:
> http://anoncvs.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/src/backend/access/gin/README

It has come through here, I think. But the list server has had major
issues today, so commit mails have been backing up for a *long* time on
the cvs server.

> Also, I sent an email with a fake @pgfoundry.org address this morning,
> and it passed without requiring moderator approval.> Also, I added a
> X-No-Archive header to avoid having the test message appearing on the
> archives, but to no effect -- the message is there all right:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2008-03/msg00393.php

Not sure if majordomo is supposed to listen to that header. Are we sure
it is?

> I think the idea here is that any pgfoundry.org address passes through
> unmolested to allow the pgfoundry projects to publish their changes to
> pgsql-committers.  I think this is a mistake, and others have vouched
> against this idea too (most notably Peter Eisentraut.)

Yes, I believe that's the idea.

> Finally, and what prompted this test message, was the fact that Heikki
> committed a patch this morning and his message got stuck in the
> moderation queue.  I wonder how smart it is to be letting @pgfoundry.org
> mails unchecked, but have @postgresql.org addresses filtered ... ??

Generally, the first mail from a new committer is approved and at that
time it's whitelisted as well, IIRC. Which could certainly be applied to
pgfoundry commits as well, as long as the moderators don't mind dealing
with it.

//Magnus

Re: pgsql-committers list is misconfigured

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: pgsql-committers list is misconfigured

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: pgsql-committers list is misconfigured

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: pgsql-committers list is misconfigured

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: pgsql-committers list is misconfigured

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

- --
Marc G. Fournier        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A. (http://www.hub.org)

Re: pgsql-committers list is misconfigured

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Does anyone know of anything that can be run on an interface that would show
> 'unusual traffic' to a specific IP?  I was able to easily login to all the
> servers remotely, so running such would be a piece of cake, just need some sort
> of tool that I can start up to listen generate a report, similar to top maybe,
> on 'most busy' IP?

ntop perhaps?

Re: pgsql-committers list is misconfigured

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: pgsql-committers list is misconfigured

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> I'm using ipaudit right now, which does a reasonable job of dumping the data,
> but its at least a half hour out before I really know if a change I've made is
> having the desired effect ... would really like to find something more 'real
> time' for dealing with identifying a DOS recipient ...
>
> Is there anything I can do with a Cisco switch for this, maybe?  Something more
> granular then mrtg?

If you have a "decent size" cisco switch, you can use netflow. But you
still need a piece of software to analyze it.

There are a lot of other trafic control "appliances" out there, but
they're pretty expensive... It's not all unusual that this service is
provided datacenter-wide by the ISP - but I assume you've checked with them?

//Magnus

Re: pgsql-committers list is misconfigured

От
hubert depesz lubaczewski
Дата:
On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 08:44:39PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> Does anyone know of anything that can be run on an interface that would show
> 'unusual traffic' to a specific IP?  I was able to easily login to all the
> servers remotely, so running such would be a piece of cake, just need some sort
> of tool that I can start up to listen generate a report, similar to top maybe,
> on 'most busy' IP?

iptraf.

depesz

--
quicksil1er: "postgres is excellent, but like any DB it requires a
highly paid DBA.  here's my CV!" :)

Re: pgsql-committers list is misconfigured

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата: