Обсуждение: Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL 8.3.1, 8.2.7 Update Release

Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL 8.3.1, 8.2.7 Update Release

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Updates for versions 8.3 and 8.2 of the PostgreSQL database management
> system are available today.  This minor release fixes more than 20 minor
> issues uncovered by our community in PostgreSQL 8.3.0 and 8.2.6 over the
> last few weeks.  All users of 8.3 and 8.2 are urged to schedule an upgrade
> at the earliest reasonable opportunity.
>
> As with other minor releases, users are not required to dump and reload
> their database in order to apply this update release; you may simply
> upgrade the PostgreSQL binaries.  However, users affected by the Windows
> locale issue (see release notes) may need to REINDEX some indexes.
>
> Release Notes: http://www.postgresql.org/8.3/static/release-8-3-1.html
>     http://www.postgresql.org/8.2/static/release-8-2-7.html

These links are clearly wrong. Please at least try to click on them
before you post them.

I have fixed the broken docs links in the announcement on the website.
Which funny enough had *different* errors, three in total, but were
still wrong. Someone should probably send an update on this announcement...

The binary links look ok AFAICS.

//Magnus

Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL 8.3.1, 8.2.7 Update Release

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL 8.3.1, 8.2.7 Update Release

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
All,

> Now that the horse is out of the barn, could we at least put in a
> one-time redirect for the links above so they aren't 404?

Also, can someone please clear my correction announcement?  As far as I can
tell, it still hasn't gone out.

Sigh.  I'm still paying for Marc accidentally deleting my e-mail account 2
weeks ago.  Several people who I thought had reviewed the announcement
didn't because they never received it ...

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL 8.3.1, 8.2.7 Update Release

Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> > Now that the horse is out of the barn, could we at least put in a
> > one-time redirect for the links above so they aren't 404?
>
> Also, can someone please clear my correction announcement?  As far as I can
> tell, it still hasn't gone out.
>
> Sigh.  I'm still paying for Marc accidentally deleting my e-mail account 2
> weeks ago.  Several people who I thought had reviewed the announcement
> didn't because they never received it ...

Uh, you sent out the announcement.  I don't see how you can blame Marc
for the wrong URLs at this point.

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL 8.3.1, 8.2.7 Update Release

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Bruce,

> Uh, you sent out the announcement.  I don't see how you can blame Marc
> for the wrong URLs at this point.

I *can* blame him for not being subscribed to pgsql-packagers, when I
thought I was.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL 8.3.1, 8.2.7 Update Release

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
All,

Anyway, we clearly need a mailing list to run the announcements through
which includes web people, or this'll keep happening.  Should that be
-packagers or -slaves?  If the former, can we get Robert and Stefan added
to -packagers?  Or at least *me*?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL 8.3.1, 8.2.7 Update Release

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 05:03:16PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> > Uh, you sent out the announcement.  I don't see how you can blame
> > Marc for the wrong URLs at this point.
>
> I *can* blame him for not being subscribed to pgsql-packagers, when
> I thought I was.

I need to be subscribed to that list, too.

Cheers,
David (not a packager, but I do need to know in advance when and why
releases are going out for what should be pretty obvious reasons)

Remember to vote!

Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL 8.3.1, 8.2.7 Update Release

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL 8.3.1, 8.2.7 Update Release

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Josh,

> Why not press?

That's an alias for response to public inqury, not a mailing list.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL 8.3.1, 8.2.7 Update Release

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL 8.3.1, 8.2.7 Update Release

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL 8.3.1, 8.2.7 Update Release

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:

> Anyway, we clearly need a mailing list to run the announcements
> through  which includes web people, or this'll keep happening.  Should
> that be -packagers or -slaves?  If the former, can we get Robert and
> Stefan added  to -packagers?  Or at least *me*?

I'd vote for -slaves list. Let's keep packagers list for packaging
discussions only.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE

Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL 8.3.1, 8.2.7 Update Release

Дата:
Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@CommandPrompt.com> writes:
> On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 17:08 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Anyway, we clearly need a mailing list to run the announcements
>> through  which includes web people, or this'll keep happening.  Should
>> that be -packagers or -slaves?  If the former, can we get Robert and
>> Stefan added  to -packagers?  Or at least *me*?

> I'd vote for -slaves list. Let's keep packagers list for packaging
> discussions only.

+1.  Last-minute checks of announcements seem like material for that
group.

The -packagers list knows about security problems well in advance
of releases, so there are obvious reasons to keep that as tightly
held as possible.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL 8.3.1, 8.2.7 Update Release

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

>>> Release Notes: http://www.postgresql.org/8.3/static/release-8-3-1.html
>>>     http://www.postgresql.org/8.2/static/release-8-2-7.html
>> I have fixed the broken docs links in the announcement on the website.
>
> Now that the horse is out of the barn, could we at least put in a
> one-time redirect for the links above so they aren't 404?

I'd vote against it. If we keep putting in redirects everytime someone
posts incorrect URLs, we'll end up with so many redirects we'll soon
enough be entirely unable to add new pages to the site...

The links from the version list on the frontpage are correct, so just
removing the path from the URL will bring you to the right spot - which
is what I'd expect to be standard practice if you encounter a broken URL
in an announcement.

//Magnus

Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL 8.3.1, 8.2.7 Update Release

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Magnus,

> These links are clearly wrong. Please at least try to click on them
> before you post them.

I did actually run the announcement past 16 people, none of whom caught the
error.  However, since they weren't web people, nobody looked at the
links.  For some reason, the core web team was booted off -packagers,
something I was unaware of, so I didn't know they'd gone unexamined.

Unfortunately, I don't have a composer for e-mail which allows me to "click
on" the links; so if I forget a "cut & paste" test for some of the links
they don't get fixed.  Oddly, I did actually check & fix the ones on
wwwmaster, but those didn't save, apparently?

Anyway, we obviously need the core web team (you, Robert, Stefan) in the
review lineup since nobody else checks things like links.  What's the best
way to do that?

--
--Josh Berkus

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Project Core Team
www.postgresql.org

(all opinions expressed are my own; I do not speakfor the Project unless specifically noted.)

Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL 8.3.1, 8.2.7 Update Release

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Josh,

> Then let's make it a open, no subscribe list. It wouldn't behave any
> differently than it does now but would allow us to service the
> announcement review etc...

Absolutely not.  Requests made to press@ are often semi-confidential;
companies don't want to share their requests about export certification
with Google, and reporters *definitely* don't want to share their story
ideas with their collegues!

I'm really confused on why you're trying to turn a confidential,
quick-response alias into a public mailing list, when you'd just force us
to create another alias.

It sounds like -slaves is the way to go.  Anyone have any other ideas?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL 8.3.1, 8.2.7 Update Release

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL 8.3.1, 8.2.7 Update Release

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Tuesday 18 March 2008 22:15, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 17:08 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Anyway, we clearly need a mailing list to run the announcements
> > through  which includes web people, or this'll keep happening.  Should
> > that be -packagers or -slaves?  If the former, can we get Robert and
> > Stefan added  to -packagers?  Or at least *me*?
>
> I'd vote for -slaves list. Let's keep packagers list for packaging
> discussions only.

THe issue I have with the slaves list is that it's very high noise to signal,
and I'd be concerned about missing such an email... can we not just do it on
www ?

--
Robert Treat

Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL 8.3.1, 8.2.7 Update Release

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 March 2008 22:15, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 17:08 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> Anyway, we clearly need a mailing list to run the announcements
>>> through  which includes web people, or this'll keep happening.  Should
>>> that be -packagers or -slaves?  If the former, can we get Robert and
>>> Stefan added  to -packagers?  Or at least *me*?
>> I'd vote for -slaves list. Let's keep packagers list for packaging
>> discussions only.
>>

> THe issue I have with the slaves list is that it's very high noise to signal,
> and I'd be concerned about missing such an email... can we not just do it on
> www ?

Most of that noise is from the nagios alerts, right? Perhaps we should
look over how we do those notifies. Since a lot of them seem to simply
be ignored, they should at least not be distributed to all the people
who cannot possibly do anything about them...

//Magnus

Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL 8.3.1, 8.2.7 Update Release

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 12:21 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> Most of that noise is from the nagios alerts, right? Perhaps we should
> look over how we do those notifies. Since a lot of them seem to simply
> be ignored, they should at least not be distributed to all the people
> who cannot possibly do anything about them...

+1.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE

Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL 8.3.1, 8.2.7 Update Release

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL 8.3.1, 8.2.7 Update Release

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
> > These links are clearly wrong. Please at least try to click on them
> > before you post them.

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier on this. The email ended up in
the grayzone that is "deal with this later"-emails...

> I did actually run the announcement past 16 people, none of whom caught the
> error.  However, since they weren't web people, nobody looked at the
> links.  For some reason, the core web team was booted off -packagers,
> something I was unaware of, so I didn't know they'd gone unexamined.

I think that was by mistake really.

> Unfortunately, I don't have a composer for e-mail which allows me to "click
> on" the links; so if I forget a "cut & paste" test for some of the links

Wow, such mail programs even exist? :-) I can even do that through mutt
on the commandline :-P

> they don't get fixed.  Oddly, I did actually check & fix the ones on
> wwwmaster, but those didn't save, apparently?

Maybe we fixed them at the very same time? There is no locking for edits
on that page, so if you started editing it and I also started editing it
before you saved, I got the non-fixed version.

> Anyway, we obviously need the core web team (you, Robert, Stefan) in the
> review lineup since nobody else checks things like links.  What's the best
> way to do that?

A good start is probably to add "verify all web links" to the release
checklist? Doesn't have to be a core web guy to do that - it just
requires someone with a browser...

//Magnus