Обсуждение: favicons

favicons

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
There is a bizarre favicon inconsistency developing on *.postgresql.org
subsites:

www et al.        blue elephant
wiki            none
developer        black elephant
archives        blue elephant
buildfarm        black elephant
git            black elephant
www.postgresqlfr.org    WTH???

Is there a secret meaning behind the black elephant or should we all move to
the blue one?

Re: favicons

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: favicons

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 7:16 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> There is a bizarre favicon inconsistency developing on *.postgresql.org
> subsites:
>
> www et al.              blue elephant
> wiki                    none
> developer               black elephant
> archives                blue elephant
> buildfarm               black elephant
> git                     black elephant
> www.postgresqlfr.org    WTH???
>
> Is there a secret meaning behind the black elephant or should we all move to
> the blue one?

Black for developer sites, blue for user? I don't think there's any
plan behind it though, just coincidence. I'm happy to use the blue one
everywhere.

--
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK Ltd: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: favicons

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Dave Page a écrit :
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 7:16 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
>> There is a bizarre favicon inconsistency developing on *.postgresql.org
>> subsites:
>>
>> www et al.              blue elephant
>> wiki                    none
>> developer               black elephant
>> archives                blue elephant
>> buildfarm               black elephant
>> git                     black elephant
>> www.postgresqlfr.org    WTH???
>>
>> Is there a secret meaning behind the black elephant or should we all move to
>> the blue one?
>
> Black for developer sites, blue for user? I don't think there's any
> plan behind it though, just coincidence. I'm happy to use the blue one
> everywhere.

Perhaps we can do like the mozilla folks just did a few days ago. They
have different favicons for their different websites but they at least
keep a small mozilla head on each of them. See http://www.mozilla.org/
with the red lizard head, see http://wiki.mozilla.org with the book and
a small red lizard head. You can also get a look here
http://www.chevrel.org/fr/carnet/index.php?2008/02/29/698-nouvelles-favicones-pour-les-sites-mozilla
(french text but the toolbar seems to me self explanatory).

Regards.

--
Guillaume. http://www.postgresqlfr.org http://dalibo.com

Re: favicons

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Guillaume Lelarge wrote:

> Perhaps we can do like the mozilla folks just did a few days ago. They
> have different favicons for their different websites but they at least
> keep a small mozilla head on each of them. See http://www.mozilla.org/
> with the red lizard head, see http://wiki.mozilla.org with the book and
> a small red lizard head. You can also get a look here
> http://www.chevrel.org/fr/carnet/index.php?2008/02/29/698-nouvelles-favicones-pour-les-sites-mozilla
> (french text but the toolbar seems to me self explanatory).

Nice idea, though my first reaction to the toolbar was "what the heck
are those little red butterflies".  I'm not sure if you're going to be
able to fit an elephant on a small area leaving enough space for the
other icon behind it.

Re: favicons

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 19:29 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 7:16 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> > There is a bizarre favicon inconsistency developing on *.postgresql.org
> > subsites:
> >
> > www et al.              blue elephant
> > wiki                    none
> > developer               black elephant
> > archives                blue elephant
> > buildfarm               black elephant
> > git                     black elephant
> > www.postgresqlfr.org    WTH???
> >
> > Is there a secret meaning behind the black elephant or should we all move to
> > the blue one?
>
> Black for developer sites, blue for user? I don't think there's any
> plan behind it though, just coincidence. I'm happy to use the blue one
> everywhere.

I'm fairly certain it's "old sites" -> "ugly black elephant" and "new
sites" -> "pretty blue elephant".

Then git and buildfarm probably just copied it off
developer.postgresql.org without checking what was available :-)

personally, I like the blue one much better, and would suggest we switch
all postgresql.org sites to it :-)

//Magnus

Re: favicons

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

Re: favicons

Дата:
"Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com> writes:
> Basically, I created the black version de novo in March of 2002
> because the project did not have one yet. At some point the newer
> blue one was created, but many sites used the black one because
> the blue was not yet created (or because they liked it better?)
> I'd not be too upset if the black one was replaced, but I'll
> point out that mine weighs in at a mere 124 bytes, which indicates
> the blue one, at 2550 bytes, might be in need of a vacuum full. :)

pngcrush?
        regards, tom lane

Re: favicons

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Mittwoch, 12. März 2008 schrieb Magnus Hagander:
> personally, I like the blue one much better, and would suggest we switch
> all postgresql.org sites to it :-)

Where is the original version of this image, so I can convert it to the format
I need?

Re: favicons

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 12. März 2008 schrieb Magnus Hagander:
> > personally, I like the blue one much better, and would suggest we
> > switch all postgresql.org sites to it :-)
>
> Where is the original version of this image, so I can convert it to
> the format I need?

The favicon? You can just grab it from the website, no? All websites
need the same format, AFAIK?

While I haven't looked at it (since I didn't turn it into the .ico), I
think there are high res (or vector even) version of it available on
the graphics project on pgFoundry.

//Magnus

Re: favicons

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Montag, 21. April 2008 schrieb Magnus Hagander:
> The favicon? You can just grab it from the website, no? All websites
> need the same format, AFAIK?

I need a PNG format file, but I got one now by "unpacking" the favicon.ico.