Обсуждение: PostgreSQL user documentation wiki open for business

PostgreSQL user documentation wiki open for business

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
I'm pleased to announce that wiki.postgresql.org is now open for business!

The PostgreSQL Wiki replaces the technical documentation area
("techdocs") on the PostgreSQL website and provides an easy-to-use
area for PostgreSQL users and developers to read and document
experiences with any area of PostgreSQL such as migration issues,
integration with other applications or networks, tips and tricks, or
useful HOWTOs. All documentation from the old site has been migrated
to the wiki.

The wiki can be accessed at

     http://wiki.postgresql.org/

To add or edit pages you will need a PostgreSQL Community logon. If
you do not already have an account, you can register one at

     http://www.postgresql.org/community/signup

--
Dave Page
PostgreSQL Core Team

Re: PostgreSQL user documentation wiki open for business

От
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Дата:
Hello all,

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 15:53:57 +0000 Dave Page wrote:

> I'm pleased to announce that wiki.postgresql.org is now open for business!

Oh, very good!

> The wiki can be accessed at
>
>      http://wiki.postgresql.org/

Is it ok to have a category like "external resources"? Links to other
websites?

One link comes into my mind: there is a well-used german PG forum which
is managed by a guy who is not active in the community. The same
applies to the english speaking forum. Just to give two examples.

Kind regards

--             Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: PostgreSQL user documentation wiki open for business

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
Hi Ads,

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 5:11 PM, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
<adsmail@wars-nicht.de> wrote:

>  > The wiki can be accessed at
>  >
>  >      http://wiki.postgresql.org/
>
>  Is it ok to have a category like "external resources"? Links to other
>  websites?
>
>  One link comes into my mind: there is a well-used german PG forum which
>  is managed by a guy who is not active in the community. The same
>  applies to the english speaking forum. Just to give two examples.

Sure - in fact there are already a bunch of offsite links in the
documents that were moved from techdocs.

I did just discuss using it for different languages with someone else
- I suggested that perhaps we should add a 'language specific' set of
links on the front page (which can only be edited by sysops). Would
that work for you? Then you could add any German documents or
resources as you saw fit.

--
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK Ltd: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: PostgreSQL user documentation wiki open for business

От
"Jonah H. Harris"
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 11:53 AM, Dave Page <dpage@postgresql.org> wrote:
> I'm pleased to announce that wiki.postgresql.org is now open for business!

Awesome!

--
Jonah H. Harris, Sr. Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation | fax: 732.331.1301

Re: PostgreSQL user documentation wiki open for business

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Dave Page a écrit :
> Hi Ads,
>
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 5:11 PM, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
> <adsmail@wars-nicht.de> wrote:
>>
>>  > The wiki can be accessed at
>>  >
>>  >      http://wiki.postgresql.org/
>>
>>  Is it ok to have a category like "external resources"? Links to other
>>  websites?
>>
>>  One link comes into my mind: there is a well-used german PG forum which
>>  is managed by a guy who is not active in the community. The same
>>  applies to the english speaking forum. Just to give two examples.
>
> Sure - in fact there are already a bunch of offsite links in the
> documents that were moved from techdocs.
>
> I did just discuss using it for different languages with someone else
> - I suggested that perhaps we should add a 'language specific' set of
> links on the front page (which can only be edited by sysops). Would
> that work for you? Then you could add any German documents or
> resources as you saw fit.

And french ones, that would be great :)

--
Guillaume. http://www.postgresqlfr.org http://dalibo.com

Re: PostgreSQL user documentation wiki open for business

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 8:13 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>  > I did just discuss using it for different languages with someone else
>  > - I suggested that perhaps we should add a 'language specific' set of
>  > links on the front page (which can only be edited by sysops). Would
>  > that work for you? Then you could add any German documents or
>  > resources as you saw fit.
>  >

>  And french ones, that would be great :)

OK, please let me know when you (anyone) wants to start work on a
language specific area and I'll add an appropriate link to the front
page. I won't do it until you're ready to start though.

--
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK Ltd: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: PostgreSQL user documentation wiki open for business

От
Peter Eisentraut
Dave Page wrote:
> I did just discuss using it for different languages with someone else
> - I suggested that perhaps we should add a 'language specific' set of
> links on the front page (which can only be edited by sysops). Would
> that work for you? Then you could add any German documents or
> resources as you saw fit.

The Debian wiki (http://wiki.debian.org) has a reasonably-working language
support.  Maybe get some inspiration there.

Re: PostgreSQL user documentation wiki open for business

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 9:35 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
>  > I did just discuss using it for different languages with someone else
>  > - I suggested that perhaps we should add a 'language specific' set of
>  > links on the front page (which can only be edited by sysops). Would
>  > that work for you? Then you could add any German documents or
>  > resources as you saw fit.
>
>  The Debian wiki (http://wiki.debian.org) has a reasonably-working language
>  support.  Maybe get some inspiration there.

Yeah, my multi-language skills are poor, but from what I can gather
they're doing a mix of 'same page in different languages' and some
stuff only in a single language. I don't believe we have anything like
the resources to do the former effectively, but I see no reason not to
add some language specific areas.

--
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK Ltd: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: PostgreSQL user documentation wiki open for business

От
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Дата:
On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 20:24:08 +0000 Dave Page wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 8:13 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> >  > I did just discuss using it for different languages with someone else
> >  > - I suggested that perhaps we should add a 'language specific' set of
> >  > links on the front page (which can only be edited by sysops). Would
> >  > that work for you? Then you could add any German documents or
> >  > resources as you saw fit.
> >  >

> >  And french ones, that would be great :)
>
> OK, please let me know when you (anyone) wants to start work on a
> language specific area and I'll add an appropriate link to the front
> page. I won't do it until you're ready to start though.

Go for it, i will take a look into the german section.
It seems, the france section also got support;-)

Kind regards

--             Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: PostgreSQL user documentation wiki open for business

От
"Gevik Babakhani"
Дата:
> The wiki can be accessed at
>
>      http://wiki.postgresql.org/

Thank you everyone for all the hard work to make this possible.

Regards,
Gevik

Re: PostgreSQL user documentation wiki open for business

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum a écrit :
> On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 20:24:08 +0000 Dave Page wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 8:13 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
>> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>>>  > I did just discuss using it for different languages with someone else
>>>  > - I suggested that perhaps we should add a 'language specific' set of
>>>  > links on the front page (which can only be edited by sysops). Would
>>>  > that work for you? Then you could add any German documents or
>>>  > resources as you saw fit.
>>>  >

>>>  And french ones, that would be great :)
>> OK, please let me know when you (anyone) wants to start work on a
>> language specific area and I'll add an appropriate link to the front
>> page. I won't do it until you're ready to start though.
>
> Go for it, i will take a look into the german section.
> It seems, the france section also got support;-)

Yes, I'll take care of the french one. I have a few links to add... just
need to find if I already have a PostgreSQL Community login. Don't think
so but I'll check now.

--
Guillaume. http://www.postgresqlfr.org http://dalibo.com

Re: PostgreSQL user documentation wiki open for business

От
Alvaro Herrera
Dave Page wrote:

> Yeah, my multi-language skills are poor, but from what I can gather
> they're doing a mix of 'same page in different languages' and some
> stuff only in a single language. I don't believe we have anything like
> the resources to do the former effectively, but I see no reason not to
> add some language specific areas.

FWIW there's a quite a bunch of people interested in translating stuff
but they don't know what to translate :-)  Having translatable wiki
material would rock.

Re: PostgreSQL user documentation wiki open for business

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 10:07 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum a écrit :
>
> > On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 20:24:08 +0000 Dave Page wrote:
>  >
>  >> On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 8:13 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
>  >> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>  >>>  > I did just discuss using it for different languages with someone else
>  >>>  > - I suggested that perhaps we should add a 'language specific' set of
>  >>>  > links on the front page (which can only be edited by sysops). Would
>  >>>  > that work for you? Then you could add any German documents or
>  >>>  > resources as you saw fit.
>  >>>  >
>  >>>
>  >>>  And french ones, that would be great :)
>  >> OK, please let me know when you (anyone) wants to start work on a
>  >> language specific area and I'll add an appropriate link to the front
>  >> page. I won't do it until you're ready to start though.
>  >
>  > Go for it, i will take a look into the german section.
>  > It seems, the france section also got support;-)
>  >

>  Yes, I'll take care of the french one. I have a few links to add... just
>  need to find if I already have a PostgreSQL Community login. Don't think
>  so but I'll check now.

OK, I've added sections for German, French and Spanish.

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Main_Page#Alternate_Languages

I'm not convinced 'Alternate' is the correct word as I don't think
these sections will simply contain translations of all the English
docs, so if anyone has any better ideas...

--
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK Ltd: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: PostgreSQL user documentation wiki open for business

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 10:22 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
>
>  > Yeah, my multi-language skills are poor, but from what I can gather
>  > they're doing a mix of 'same page in different languages' and some
>  > stuff only in a single language. I don't believe we have anything like
>  > the resources to do the former effectively, but I see no reason not to
>  > add some language specific areas.
>
>  FWIW there's a quite a bunch of people interested in translating stuff
>  but they don't know what to translate :-)  Having translatable wiki
>  material would rock.

My gut feeling is that 90% or more of the content (which I believe is
well over 100 pages already) will never be translated, so I think we
should just add sections (as I've done for French, German and Spanish)
and let folks fill them up as they like. If they do translate lots of
the existing stuff, great, if they just add their own docs thats cool
too imho.  My suspicion is though that we'll get far more authors than
translators.

If it seems like I'm wrong once things have got underway, let me know
and we can rethink how we organise things (I believe there is a
translation module for example).

--
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK Ltd: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: PostgreSQL user documentation wiki open for business

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Mittwoch, 12. März 2008 schrieb Dave Page:
> Yeah, my multi-language skills are poor, but from what I can gather
> they're doing a mix of 'same page in different languages' and some
> stuff only in a single language. I don't believe we have anything like
> the resources to do the former effectively

Neither do they.  Hence the mixing.