Обсуждение: Kicking people off planetpostgresql.org?

Kicking people off planetpostgresql.org?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Devrim,

I've gotten a report that several people were arbitrarily kicked off
planetpostgresql.org.  Surely if people's RSS feeds are going to be
cancelled, we'd discuss it on this list?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Kicking people off planetpostgresql.org?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: Kicking people off planetpostgresql.org?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Josh,

> Not one single person was kicked off Planet. The policy for using
> headlines was enforced and Devrim removed the long posts with
> notification and request that they recontact him once they fix the
> blogs.

OK, cool, thanks.  I was a little surprised; it was hard to imagine Devrim
taking unilateral action.  That's very unlike him.

Is the headline policy up anywhere?  Like on the wiki, for example, so that
we can point people to it?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Kicking people off planetpostgresql.org?

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 13:54 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> I've gotten a report that several people were arbitrarily kicked off
> planetpostgresql.org.  Surely if people's RSS feeds are going to be
> cancelled, we'd discuss it on this list?

I did not "kick off" . I remove them temporarily, because of the rules.

The rule is simple:

==============
*If* your posts are very long, please break them into two parts. One
that's included on planetpostgresql.org and a second that's available
after clicking a link. This will keep the layout of planetpostgresql.org
easy and quick for our visitors. See examples on Planet PostgreSQL.
==============

I e-mailed this information to our bloggers on Jan 8.

..and I informed everyone PLUS planet list (a list hosted
@postgresql.org) so that everyone would be kept up2date. That list
includes at least 3 prominent community members other than me : Magnus,
Robert (Treat) and Jim (Nasby).

As the blogs are "fixed", I'll add them again. This is what I explicitly
wrote in the e-mail that I sent to 3 people today.

I hope this is clear for everyone.

I'm upset that this thread took my half of the day. Also, I'm upset that
you are writing this e-mail to a public list without asking me first.
I'm a few clicks away from you on Jabber.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE

Re: Kicking people off planetpostgresql.org?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: Kicking people off planetpostgresql.org?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Devrim,

> I'm upset that this thread took my half of the day. Also, I'm upset that
> you are writing this e-mail to a public list without asking me first.
> I'm a few clicks away from you on Jabber.

I'm sorry, I phrased it badly. What I meant was "Surely you wouldn't kick
people off planetpostgresql.org arbitrarily, so what's really going on?"
I realize now that the e-mail came out sounding like an accusation.
Apologies.

Can we put that policy up somewhere findable on postgresql.org, so that if
this happens again in the future we can just point the disgruntled blogger
to the policy?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Kicking people off planetpostgresql.org?

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 14:09 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Is the headline policy up anywhere?  Like on the wiki, for example, so
> that  we can point people to it?

Well, I e-mailed this policy to everyone 2 months ago. For example, sent
the same e-mail to Gregory (Stark) a few hours ago, just after adding
him to planet.

You are right, it is not written anywhere publicly. I will give it a
priority this weekend and post the link to the right hand side of Planet
PostgreSQL.

-HTH.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE

Re: Kicking people off planetpostgresql.org?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: Kicking people off planetpostgresql.org?

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> You are right, it is not written anywhere publicly. I will give it a
> priority this weekend and post the link to the right hand side of Planet
> PostgreSQL.

That's a very good idea. It'll make the life easier for those of us that  field questions about it now and then (apart
fromthis specific issue)

//Magnus

Re: Kicking people off planetpostgresql.org?

От
"Merlin Moncure"
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

>  On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 13:54 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
>  > I've gotten a report that several people were arbitrarily kicked off
>  > planetpostgresql.org.  Surely if people's RSS feeds are going to be
>  > cancelled, we'd discuss it on this list?
>
>  I did not "kick off" . I remove them temporarily, because of the rules.
>
>  The rule is simple:
>
>  ==============
>  *If* your posts are very long, please break them into two parts. One
>  that's included on planetpostgresql.org and a second that's available
>  after clicking a link. This will keep the layout of planetpostgresql.org
>  easy and quick for our visitors. See examples on Planet PostgreSQL.

I have a small question about this.  I have a small blog that is
carried by planet but hosted on blogger...AFAIK, there is no way to
break up the post there.  Should I be looking for a new place to blog?
(I can't stand serendipity).

merlin

Re: Kicking people off planetpostgresql.org?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: Kicking people off planetpostgresql.org?

От
Guillaume Smet
Дата:
Merlin Moncure a écrit :
> I have a small question about this.  I have a small blog that is
> carried by planet but hosted on blogger...AFAIK, there is no way to
> break up the post there.  Should I be looking for a new place to blog?
> (I can't stand serendipity).

I don't know planet software at all but isn't it possible to make it
shorten the entries coming from external blogs to an acceptable
introduction?

--
Guillaume

Planet software (was:Re: Kicking people off planetpostgresql.org?)

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
Hi Guillaume,

On Sat, 2008-03-08 at 14:32 +0100, Guillaume Smet wrote:
> I don't know planet software at all

http://planetplanet.org

Cheers,
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE

Re: Planet software (was:Re: Kicking people off planetpostgresql.org?)

От
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Дата:
Hello,

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 15:54:06 -0800 Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-03-08 at 14:32 +0100, Guillaume Smet wrote:
> > I don't know planet software at all
>
> http://planetplanet.org

I miss planetpostgresql.org in the list of powered platforms.

Bye

--             Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: Kicking people off planetpostgresql.org?

От
"Merlin Moncure"
Дата:
On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 11:18 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>  > I have a small question about this.  I have a small blog that is
>  > carried by planet but hosted on blogger...AFAIK, there is no way to
>  > break up the post there.  Should I be looking for a new place to blog?
>  > (I can't stand serendipity).
>
>  You set your feed to short under feed settings.

set...thanks for that.

merlin

Re: Planet software

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Sun, 2008-03-09 at 12:22 +0100, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> > http://planetplanet.org
>
> I miss planetpostgresql.org in the list of powered platforms.

I e-mailed them lots of times, but they are ignored. Well, I'm afraid
they are updating website :)

Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE