Обсуждение: An actually *useful* mail-list message footer

An actually *useful* mail-list message footer

Дата:
I present for your consideration an example of what Apple is appending to
lists.apple.com traffic these days:
 _______________________________________________Do not post admin requests to the list. They will be ignored.X11-users
http://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/x11-users/tgl%40sss.pgh.pa.usThisemail sent to tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us

(This is in addition to List-Unsubscribe and the other standard headers.)

I don't know whether the mail software we use can cope with customizing
trailers per-user like this.  But if it can, I submit that an
unmistakable how-to-unsubscribe link would be lots more useful than the
TIPS are.
        regards, tom lane

Re: An actually *useful* mail-list message footer

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: An actually *useful* mail-list message footer

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: An actually *useful* mail-list message footer

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Done, almost ... can't do it "per user", since Majordomo sends out messasges in
> batches, not one per individual user, *unless* delivery has failed at which
> point it starts sending out individual messages for that particular user so
> that it can count 'bounces' ...

Can we have the TIP start with "-- " on a line by itself?  That would
help email clients to mark it as a signature.

I tried on pgsql-es-ayuda, but I noticed that it removed the trailing
blank, which is significant :-(

Re: An actually *useful* mail-list message footer

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: An actually *useful* mail-list message footer

Дата:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> Example of what you mean?

I think Alvaro's point is that the traditional standard divider line for
signature-like stuff is "-- ".  Two dashes, one space, not more nor
less.  Right now we're using
"---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------"
You can be sure there is no software anywhere in the world that
recognizes that as a divider line.
        regards, tom lane

Re: An actually *useful* mail-list message footer

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: An actually *useful* mail-list message footer

Дата:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> Hrmmm, I think there is a limitation on the footer, but ... try his one ...

I got one dash and no space ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: An actually *useful* mail-list message footer

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: An actually *useful* mail-list message footer

Дата:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> this may not be possible, but if "-- " generates just one dash,let's try "--- "
> and see if that makes a difference ...

Hm, two dashes and no space ... better, certainly, but not perfect.
        regards, tom lane

Re: An actually *useful* mail-list message footer

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

- ----

Re: An actually *useful* mail-list message footer

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"