Обсуждение: The template/en/about/features.html file

The template/en/about/features.html file

От
"Adrian Maier"
Дата:
Hello,

While translating the different files in template, i have stumbled
upon  about/features.html.
Perhaps I am not looking at the right place, but i haven't been
able to find any links to this page.

The question is: should i spend time with translating this file?

--
Adrian Maier

Re: The template/en/about/features.html file

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Thursday 03 May 2007 09:16, Adrian Maier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> While translating the different files in template, i have stumbled
> upon  about/features.html.
> Perhaps I am not looking at the right place, but i haven't been
> able to find any links to this page.

It's not currently being pushed out to the live site, so from that standpoint
it is unused.

> The question is: should i spend time with translating this file?

Currently I would say no since it isn't on the live site... the better
question is do people feel this page should be added into the website?  You
can view it at http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/about/features.html.  We could
link to it in the about nav, though it probably needs an update first (also
we don't normally list authorship on specific pages, not sure if people want
that to be removed)

--
Robert Treat

Re: The template/en/about/features.html file

От
"Adrian Maier"
Дата:
On 5/3/07, Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> On Thursday 03 May 2007 09:16, Adrian Maier wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > While translating the different files in template, i have stumbled
> > upon  about/features.html.
> > Perhaps I am not looking at the right place, but i haven't been
> > able to find any links to this page.
> >

> It's not currently being pushed out to the live site, so from that standpoint
> it is unused.
>
> > The question is: should i spend time with translating this file?
>
> Currently I would say no since it isn't on the live site... the better
> question is do people feel this page should be added into the website?  You
> can view it at http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/about/features.html.  We could
> link to it in the about nav, though it probably needs an update first (also
> we don't normally list authorship on specific pages, not sure if people want
> that to be removed)

Thanks for the clarification , Robert !
For the moment i'll skip over this file.

Cheers,
Adrian Maier

Re: The template/en/about/features.html file

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Robert,

> Currently I would say no since it isn't on the live site... the better
> question is do people feel this page should be added into the website?  You
> can view it at http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/about/features.html.  We
> could link to it in the about nav, though it probably needs an update first
> (also we don't normally list authorship on specific pages, not sure if
> people want that to be removed)

Seems somewhat duplicative of the current /about/, which we're also having
trouble keeping up to date.  BTW, I just noticed that the "advantages" menu
link doesn't link to anything.  What page is supposed to be there?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Most of /about tree is missing

От
Josh Berkus

Re: Most of /about tree is missing

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Devs,
>
> Clearly we need an automated link checker
>
> All of these pages have recently gone missing. Please check ASAP for site
> build problems:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/advantages
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/quotesarchive
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/awards
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/users
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/history
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/sponsors
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/newsarchive
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/eventarchive
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/licence

erm ? all those seem to work both on the mirrors and wwwmaster itself -
so not sure what you are complaining about ?

Stefan

Re: Most of /about tree is missing

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Stefan,

> erm ? all those seem to work both on the mirrors and wwwmaster itself -
> so not sure what you are complaining about ?

I'm getting a 404.  How do I determine which mirror I'm on?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Most of /about tree is missing

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: Most of /about tree is missing

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Devs,
> >
> > Clearly we need an automated link checker
> >
> > All of these pages have recently gone missing. Please check ASAP for site
> > build problems:
> >
> > http://www.postgresql.org/about/advantages
> > http://www.postgresql.org/about/quotesarchive
> > http://www.postgresql.org/about/awards
> > http://www.postgresql.org/about/users
> > http://www.postgresql.org/about/history
> > http://www.postgresql.org/about/sponsors
> > http://www.postgresql.org/about/newsarchive
> > http://www.postgresql.org/about/eventarchive
> > http://www.postgresql.org/about/licence
>
> erm ? all those seem to work both on the mirrors and wwwmaster itself -
> so not sure what you are complaining about ?

Well, they only start working when you add the ".html" stuff at the back :-)

Re: Most of /about tree is missing

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Alvaro,

> > erm ? all those seem to work both on the mirrors and wwwmaster itself -
> > so not sure what you are complaining about ?
>
> Well, they only start working when you add the ".html" stuff at the back
> :-)

Right, which is not what the menu links do.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Most of /about tree is missing

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: Most of /about tree is missing

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
> Have you tried the links without the .html? :)  They work for me *without*
> the .html and with them ... and if you check the menu on the left, you will
> notice none of them have .html either :)

Not Found
The requested URL /about/awards was not found on this server.
Apache/2.2.3 Server at www.postgresql.org Port 80
(tested: Firefox 2.0, Konqueror 3.4)

... they're not working for me, which means that they're not working for other
people as well.  I think this may be mirror-configuration specific; again,
how do I tell which mirror I'm on?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Most of /about tree is missing

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> - --On Friday, May 04, 2007 11:57:03 -0400 Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
> > Well, they only start working when you add the ".html" stuff at the back :-)
>
> Have you tried the links without the .html? :)  They work for me *without* the
> .html and with them ... and if you check the menu on the left, you will notice
> none of them have .html either :)

I've been checking the mirrors for Stefan, and the URLs do work for some
mirrors but not others.  YMMV depending on source IP and traffic
conditions.

Re: Most of /about tree is missing

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:

> ... they're not working for me, which means that they're not working for other
> people as well.  I think this may be mirror-configuration specific; again,
> how do I tell which mirror I'm on?

(12:13:09) alvherre@jabber.postgresql.org/Gaim: hmm, how do I know what
mirror I was using the first time?
(12:13:20) Stefan Kaltenbrunner: you don't

Re: Most of /about tree is missing

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 12:56:22PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Josh may have hit it mid-build?

Should make no difference - the files are not removed during build, they're
overwritten. In theory if a mirror rsynced right in the middle of build,
*one* file could be broken.

//Magnus

Re: Most of /about tree is missing

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Magnus,

> Should make no difference - the files are not removed during build, they're
> overwritten. In theory if a mirror rsynced right in the middle of build,
> *one* file could be broken.

The issue appears to be that our left-hand menu links are created
without .html, and that doesn't resolve on all mirrors.  We're going to have
to change our way of generating the menus.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Most of /about tree is missing

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Have you tried the links without the .html? :)  They work for me *without*
>> the .html and with them ... and if you check the menu on the left, you will
>> notice none of them have .html either :)
>
> Not Found
> The requested URL /about/awards was not found on this server.
> Apache/2.2.3 Server at www.postgresql.org Port 80
> (tested: Firefox 2.0, Konqueror 3.4)

hmm the only server with that response in the rotation is horta though
it does work for me - maybe an issue with content negotiation ?

> ... they're not working for me, which means that they're not working for other
> people as well.  I think this may be mirror-configuration specific; again,
> how do I tell which mirror I'm on?

you just did ;-)

Stefan

Re: Most of /about tree is missing

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 09:27:52AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Magnus,
>
> > Should make no difference - the files are not removed during build, they're
> > overwritten. In theory if a mirror rsynced right in the middle of build,
> > *one* file could be broken.
>
> The issue appears to be that our left-hand menu links are created
> without .html, and that doesn't resolve on all mirrors.  We're going to have
> to change our way of generating the menus.

No. They *must* be generated without the .html, or they will break the
language negotiation stuff.

The problem is that apparantly one mirror is not serving them up properly.

//Magnus

Re: Most of /about tree is missing

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Magnus,
>
>> Should make no difference - the files are not removed during build, they're
>> overwritten. In theory if a mirror rsynced right in the middle of build,
>> *one* file could be broken.
>
> The issue appears to be that our left-hand menu links are created
> without .html, and that doesn't resolve on all mirrors.  We're going to have
> to change our way of generating the menus.

it looks like the actual issue is that one mirror (horta) is troubled -
but not in the way you think it is.
I suspect this is simply a partial sync issue especially since horta had
some issues during the last few days connectivity wise.
We will take it out of the rotation for further investigation ...

Stefan

Re: Most of /about tree is missing

Дата:
> I've been checking the mirrors for Stefan, and the URLs do work for some
> mirrors but not others.  YMMV depending on source IP and traffic
> conditions.

I noticed a few days ago that the "more" links at the bottom of the home
page (eg, "more news") were broken, and was meaning to file a complaint
about that, and then when I looked again it seemed fixed.  I bet it is
mirror-specific.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Most of /about tree is missing

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 12:46:10PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I've been checking the mirrors for Stefan, and the URLs do work for some
> > mirrors but not others.  YMMV depending on source IP and traffic
> > conditions.
>
> I noticed a few days ago that the "more" links at the bottom of the home
> page (eg, "more news") were broken, and was meaning to file a complaint
> about that, and then when I looked again it seemed fixed.  I bet it is
> mirror-specific.

Yeah. A look at it now shows those links broken on Horta, but working on
others. Horta is now gone from DNS, we're just waiting for some
propagation..

//Magnus

Re: The template/en/about/features.html file

От
"Adrian Maier"
Дата:
On 5/4/07, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Robert,
>
> > Currently I would say no since it isn't on the live site... the better
> > question is do people feel this page should be added into the website?  You
> > can view it at http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/about/features.html.  We
> > could link to it in the about nav, though it probably needs an update first
> > (also we don't normally list authorship on specific pages, not sure if
> > people want that to be removed)
>
> Seems somewhat duplicative of the current /about/, which we're also having
> trouble keeping up to date.

> BTW, I just noticed that the "advantages" menu
> link doesn't link to anything.  What page is supposed to be there?

Josh,  the "Advantages" link seems to be ok from here ;  it links
to http://www.postgresql.org/about/advantages .

--
Adrian Maier