Обсуждение: Problems with pgsql-announce

Problems with pgsql-announce

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
All,

1) I thougth we'd set up pgsql-announce so that it didn't bounce to the
sender?   I'm still getting 20-30 bounce messages every time I post to
-announce.

2) For some reason, I got four duplicate checksum warnings for *one*
posting to announce.  Example:

Duplicate posting detected
Duplicate Message-ID - <200701080946.29019.josh@postgresql.org> (Mon Jan  8
13:46:12 2007)
Duplicate Partial Message Checksum (Mon Jan  8 13:46:12 2007)

I'm certain that I sent the message only once, and it showed up on the list
promptly.  Huh?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Problems with pgsql-announce

От
"Dan Langille"
Дата:
On 8 Jan 2007 at 10:55, Josh Berkus wrote:

> 1) I thougth we'd set up pgsql-announce so that it didn't bounce to the
> sender?   I'm still getting 20-30 bounce messages every time I post to
> -announce.

That is often not the sending MTAs fault.  It is often the fault of
the receiving MTA which does not or can not differentiate between
sender and author, and replies to the author regardless.

--
Dan Langille : Software Developer looking for work
my resume: http://www.freebsddiary.org/dan_langille.php

Re: Problems with pgsql-announce

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

Re: Problems with pgsql-announce

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

>> 1) I thougth we'd set up pgsql-announce so that it didn't bounce to the
>> sender?   I'm still getting 20-30 bounce messages every time I post to
>> -announce.
>
> Could be misconfigured on the sender's end. If you want, send me a list
> of the offenders and I'll remove 'em. That goes for anyone else as well.
>
>> 2) For some reason, I got four duplicate checksum warnings for *one*
>> posting to announce.  Example:
>
> Yeah, something weird is going on there. From looking at the moderation
> queue, it seems everyone is getting three or four duplicates. Maybe
> we can simply turn that off, Marc?

I think we've seen a lot of examples of that "partial message duplicate"
filter blocking things it shouldn't. I know Dave had some problems
before, and at some point it started blocking almost all mail to the
slaves list (because those are very similar *by design*).

Do we have any indication that this helps *at all*? If not, we should
just turn it off on all the lists...

Which reminds me - I saw several emails pop through today after spending
>48 hours in the Maia Mailguard. Does that one actually help noticably
for list traffic, or just for mailboxes? Because it certainly happens
often that it slows down or stops list traffic completely..

//Magnus

Re: Problems with pgsql-announce

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Greg,

> Yeah, something weird is going on there. From looking at the moderation
> queue, it seems everyone is getting three or four duplicates. Maybe
> we can simply turn that off, Marc?

... not if duplicates are actually being received; we don't want 3-4 or
each message.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Problems with pgsql-announce

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

Re: Problems with pgsql-announce

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Greg,

> Hm...just checked the -announce queue...their are three identical
> messages from Josh Berkus about the new releases, all claiming the
> checksum errors. Josh, did you ever get those checksum errors bounced
> back to you before the change when you posted previously to announce?
> ISTR this change started with someone complaining about getting those
> sent back to them?

Today's announcement is the first time it's happened to me.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Problems with pgsql-announce

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

- --On Monday, January 08, 2007 20:59:19 +0100 Magnus Hagander
<magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
>>
>>> 1) I thougth we'd set up pgsql-announce so that it didn't bounce to the
>>> sender?   I'm still getting 20-30 bounce messages every time I post to
>>> -announce.
>>
>> Could be misconfigured on the sender's end. If you want, send me a list
>> of the offenders and I'll remove 'em. That goes for anyone else as well.
>>
>>> 2) For some reason, I got four duplicate checksum warnings for *one*
>>> posting to announce.  Example:
>>
>> Yeah, something weird is going on there. From looking at the moderation
>> queue, it seems everyone is getting three or four duplicates. Maybe
>> we can simply turn that off, Marc?
>
> I think we've seen a lot of examples of that "partial message duplicate"
> filter blocking things it shouldn't. I know Dave had some problems
> before, and at some point it started blocking almost all mail to the
> slaves list (because those are very similar *by design*).
>
> Do we have any indication that this helps *at all*? If not, we should
> just turn it off on all the lists...

If ppl want me to remove it altogether, I can ... and we'll see what happens
... you call it :)

> Which reminds me - I saw several emails pop through today after spending
>> 48 hours in the Maia Mailguard. Does that one actually help noticably
> for list traffic, or just for mailboxes? Because it certainly happens
> often that it slows down or stops list traffic completely..

'k, nothing shoudl be spending >48 hours in the Maia Mailguard ... all it is is
amavisd on steroids ... it only quarantines email marked as spam (>5) and I go
through it periodically to make sure un-quarantine emails to help train the
bayes filters ... most of what gets 'falsely stuck' tend to be
subscribe/unsubscribe requests though ... if you see one that has been
'spending 48 hours', please forward it to me with full headers, as something
else is wrong ...

Re: Problems with pgsql-announce

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: Problems with pgsql-announce

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> --On Monday, January 08, 2007 12:02:53 -0800 Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Greg,
>
>>> Yeah, something weird is going on there. From looking at the moderation
>>> queue, it seems everyone is getting three or four duplicates. Maybe
>>> we can simply turn that off, Marc?
>> ... not if duplicates are actually being received; we don't want 3-4 or
>> each message.
>
> Right now, any duplicates are supposed to be shuffled to the moderators queue
> to deal with ... what the filter is *supposed* to deal with is spam, which
> tends to be alot of duplicates of the same message with different headers ...

Don't think I ever saw one in the queue. Plenty of bounces though...

> If I remove the duplicate altogether, I suspect that there won't be much change
> on the lists themselves, but I don't know for sure ...

It hasn't made any difference whatsoever to the slaves list, except that
we now get the reports we expect to see. I realise there's a difference
between that and other lists, but it does still get spam.

/D

Re: Problems with pgsql-announce

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Friday 12 January 2007 03:39, Dave Page wrote:
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > --On Monday, January 08, 2007 12:02:53 -0800 Josh Berkus
> > <josh@agliodbs.com>
> >
> > wrote:
> >> Greg,

> >> ... not if duplicates are actually being received; we don't want 3-4 or
> >> each message.
> >
> > Right now, any duplicates are supposed to be shuffled to the moderators
> > queue to deal with ... what the filter is *supposed* to deal with is
> > spam, which tends to be alot of duplicates of the same message with
> > different headers ...
>
> Don't think I ever saw one in the queue. Plenty of bounces though...
>
> > If I remove the duplicate altogether, I suspect that there won't be much
> > change on the lists themselves, but I don't know for sure ...
>
> It hasn't made any difference whatsoever to the slaves list, except that
> we now get the reports we expect to see. I realise there's a difference
> between that and other lists, but it does still get spam.

We could change some of the more public but lower traffic lists, like
pgsql-www, first and see how that goes.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Problems with pgsql-announce

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
> >>Which reminds me - I saw several emails pop through today after spending
> >> 48 hours in the Maia Mailguard. Does that one actually help noticably
> > for list traffic, or just for mailboxes? Because it certainly happens
> > often that it slows down or stops list traffic completely..
>
> 'k, nothing shoudl be spending >48 hours in the Maia Mailguard ... all it is is
> amavisd on steroids ... it only quarantines email marked as spam (>5) and I go
> through it periodically to make sure un-quarantine emails to help train the
> bayes filters ... most of what gets 'falsely stuck' tend to be
> subscribe/unsubscribe requests though ... if you see one that has been
> 'spending 48 hours', please forward it to me with full headers, as something
> else is wrong ...

I've definitly seen that happen and more than once. DOn't have one
around, but I'll eb sure to collect the headers next time it happens.

//Magnus

Re: Problems with pgsql-announce

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

Re: Problems with pgsql-announce

Дата:
>> most of what gets 'falsely stuck' tend to be
>> subscribe/unsubscribe requests though ... if you see one that has been
>> 'spending 48 hours', please forward it to me with full headers, as something
>> else is wrong ...

> I've definitly seen that happen and more than once. DOn't have one
> around, but I'll eb sure to collect the headers next time it happens.

Something else I've noticed saveral times in the last week is getting a
delayed copy of something that already came through.  These weren't the
usual newbie-sends-another-copy-after-subscribing deal because they came
from established subscribers.  I didn't save copies but will next time.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Problems with pgsql-announce

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 10:08:51AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> most of what gets 'falsely stuck' tend to be
> >> subscribe/unsubscribe requests though ... if you see one that has been
> >> 'spending 48 hours', please forward it to me with full headers, as something
> >> else is wrong ...
>
> > I've definitly seen that happen and more than once. DOn't have one
> > around, but I'll eb sure to collect the headers next time it happens.
>
> Something else I've noticed saveral times in the last week is getting a
> delayed copy of something that already came through.  These weren't the
> usual newbie-sends-another-copy-after-subscribing deal because they came
> from established subscribers.  I didn't save copies but will next time.

I'm glad it's not just me. I've noticed this a couple of times, but
didn't have time to investigate at the time either - I thought it might
be my new MUA on the cellphone acting up ;-)

//Magnus

Re: Problems with pgsql-announce

От
"Marc G. Fournier"