Обсуждение: Can we fix the list footer?

Can we fix the list footer?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Hello,

It has once again come up that people are struggling to unsubscribe from
our lists. Now, granted this doesn't happen very often but if we just
added a footer to the bottom of every email sent that shows the web page
for the list info, the problem would likely be resolved.

I would note that most other projects do this and I don't understand why
we don't.

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Can we fix the list footer?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
At the bottom of every mail message that goes through the list should be a set
of instructions for how to unsubscribe and/or set options on your subscription
... and, just checking, I notice that Mulberry doesn't show it, but pine did
... *sigh*

Oh well ... I can add a message footer, which are the TIPs, so I can add some
text to each TIP, but someone give me the text to add ...

As a side note, I just made one change to the lists, in that:

will now work, as will -subscribe .. so that at least streamlines the text ...
but give me some suitable (and short) text that shoudl be added ...

--On Wednesday, October 04, 2006 08:31:24 -0700 "Joshua D. Drake"
<jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It has once again come up that people are struggling to unsubscribe from
> our lists. Now, granted this doesn't happen very often but if we just
> added a footer to the bottom of every email sent that shows the web page
> for the list info, the problem would likely be resolved.
>
> I would note that most other projects do this and I don't understand why
> we don't.
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>

> --
>
>    === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===
> Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
>    Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997
>              http://www.commandprompt.com/

----

Re: Can we fix the list footer?

Дата:
> It has once again come up that people are struggling to unsubscribe from
> our lists. Now, granted this doesn't happen very often but if we just
> added a footer to the bottom of every email sent that shows the web page
> for the list info, the problem would likely be resolved.

At one time, there were a couple of the rotating TIPs that were about
unsubscribing, but I have not seen them lately --- what happened there?
ISTM it would be sufficient if the info showed up once every few
messages, which is exactly what the TIPs are for.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Can we fix the list footer?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> At the bottom of every mail message that goes through the list should be
> a set of instructions for how to unsubscribe and/or set options on your
> subscription ... and, just checking, I notice that Mulberry doesn't show
> it, but pine did ... *sigh*
>
> Oh well ... I can add a message footer, which are the TIPs, so I can add
> some text to each TIP, but someone give me the text to add ...
>
> As a side note, I just made one change to the lists, in that:

> will now work, as will -subscribe .. so that at least streamlines the
> text ... but give me some suitable (and short) text that shoudl be added

I am not exactly sure what you meant above but here is what I would do:

----------------------End of Broadcast--------------------------

Tip 9:
In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to
match

> --On Wednesday, October 04, 2006 08:31:24 -0700 "Joshua D. Drake"
> <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> It has once again come up that people are struggling to unsubscribe from
>> our lists. Now, granted this doesn't happen very often but if we just
>> added a footer to the bottom of every email sent that shows the web page
>> for the list info, the problem would likely be resolved.
>>
>> I would note that most other projects do this and I don't understand why
>> we don't.
>>
>> Joshua D. Drake
>>

>> --
>>
>>    === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===
>> Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
>>    Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997
>>              http://www.commandprompt.com/

>> TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings
>

> ----
> Email . scrappy@hub.org                              MSN . scrappy@hub.org
> Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype: hub.org        ICQ . 7615664

>       match

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Can we fix the list footer?

Дата:
> I am not exactly sure what you meant above but here is what I would do:

I concur, but we also need to fix the header and text of that page to
make it more obvious that it handles unsubscribe as well.  Perhaps

    Subscribe or Unsubscribe to Lists

    Your email address: ...

Also, it'd probably be user-friendly if there were an action
"unsubscribe me from all PG lists" instead of having to remember what
lists you are on.  That might be nontrivial though.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Can we fix the list footer?

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 10:18:11AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> I am not exactly sure what you meant above but here is what I would do:

Except that doesn't really make sense, since the URL is ".../subscribe".

If it was ".../unsubscribe"...

Re: Can we fix the list footer?

От
Robert Treat