Обсуждение: archive threads across months (was Re: [HACKERS] List schema contents)

archive threads across months (was Re: [HACKERS] List schema contents)

Дата:
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> (The fact that archives.p.o can't properly link between threads that
> cross month boundaries is pretty annoying...)

Indeed, I was just annoyed by that (again) a few minutes ago.  Anyone
on -www have an idea how to fix it?

            regards, tom lane

Re: archive threads across months (was Re: [HACKERS] List

Tom Lane wrote:
> Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> > (The fact that archives.p.o can't properly link between threads that
> > cross month boundaries is pretty annoying...)
>
> Indeed, I was just annoyed by that (again) a few minutes ago.  Anyone
> on -www have an idea how to fix it?

I am also having problems that the date sorting often has a few entries
at the end of out of order.  I think that needs to be fixed too.

--
  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us

Re: archive threads across months (was Re: [HACKERS]

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

> Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
>> (The fact that archives.p.o can't properly link between threads that
>> cross month boundaries is pretty annoying...)
>
> Indeed, I was just annoyed by that (again) a few minutes ago.  Anyone
> on -www have an idea how to fix it?

Someone that knows mhonarc better then I might know of a way, but, I don't
believe cross-month linking is actually possible ...

majordomo stores archives by month in mbox format ... mhonarc processes
each month and deposits it into a directory YYYY-MM ... without merging
all of the mbox files into one huge archive file, and eliminating the
YYYY-MM subdirectories, I don't believe that you could do this ...

But, as I said, someone with more knowledge about mhonarc may know a way
of doing this ... ?

----

Re: archive threads across months (was Re: [HACKERS]

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
>>> (The fact that archives.p.o can't properly link between threads that
>>> cross month boundaries is pretty annoying...)
>>
>> Indeed, I was just annoyed by that (again) a few minutes ago.  Anyone
>> on -www have an idea how to fix it?
>
> I am also having problems that the date sorting often has a few entries
> at the end of out of order.  I think that needs to be fixed too.

please provide a sample of what you are talking about ... :)

----

Re: archive threads across months (was Re: [HACKERS]

Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >>
> >> Indeed, I was just annoyed by that (again) a few minutes ago.  Anyone
> >> on -www have an idea how to fix it?
> >
> > I am also having problems that the date sorting often has a few entries
> > at the end of out of order.  I think that needs to be fixed too.
>
> please provide a sample of what you are talking about ... :)

Sure, search for "misnomer" and sorty by date.  Look at the last page.
You will see 2005 entries that should have appeared earlier.

--
  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us

Re: archive threads across months (was Re: [HACKERS]

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>>> I am also having problems that the date sorting often has a few entries
>>> at the end of out of order.  I think that needs to be fixed too.
>>
>> please provide a sample of what you are talking about ... :)
>
> Sure, search for "misnomer" and sorty by date.  Look at the last page.
> You will see 2005 entries that should have appeared earlier.

Wait, you are talking Search results, not ordering in the archives
themselves ... can't help you with that one, sorry ...

----

Re: archive threads across months (was Re: [HACKERS]

От
Jim Nasby
Дата:
On Jun 10, 2006, at 12:20 AM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
>>> (The fact that archives.p.o can't properly link between threads that
>>> cross month boundaries is pretty annoying...)
>>
>> Indeed, I was just annoyed by that (again) a few minutes ago.  Anyone
>> on -www have an idea how to fix it?
>
> Someone that knows mhonarc better then I might know of a way, but,
> I don't believe cross-month linking is actually possible ...
>
> majordomo stores archives by month in mbox format ... mhonarc
> processes each month and deposits it into a directory YYYY-MM ...
> without merging all of the mbox files into one huge archive file,
> and eliminating the YYYY-MM subdirectories, I don't believe that
> you could do this ...
>
> But, as I said, someone with more knowledge about mhonarc may know
> a way of doing this ... ?

Are we wed to mhonarc? Is there another archiving tool we could use?

Re: archive threads across months (was Re: [HACKERS]

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2006, Jim Nasby wrote:

> On Jun 10, 2006, at 12:20 AM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>>> Indeed, I was just annoyed by that (again) a few minutes ago.  Anyone
>>> on -www have an idea how to fix it?
>>
>> Someone that knows mhonarc better then I might know of a way, but, I don't
>> believe cross-month linking is actually possible ...
>>
>> majordomo stores archives by month in mbox format ... mhonarc processes
>> each month and deposits it into a directory YYYY-MM ... without merging all
>> of the mbox files into one huge archive file, and eliminating the YYYY-MM
>> subdirectories, I don't believe that you could do this ...
>>
>> But, as I said, someone with more knowledge about mhonarc may know a way of
>> doing this ... ?
>
> Are we wed to mhonarc? Is there another archiving tool we could use?

I'll never say we're *wed* to anything ... do you know of another
archiving tool?

I think the first question is are there any other ones that offer the
functionality that Tom is asking for ... ?

----

Re: archive threads across months (was Re: [HACKERS]

От
John Hansen
Дата:
On Sat, 2006-06-10 at 08:48 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> > > I am also having problems that the date sorting often has a few entries
> > > at the end of out of order.  I think that needs to be fixed too.
> >
> > please provide a sample of what you are talking about ... :)
>
> Sure, search for "misnomer" and sorty by date.  Look at the last page.
> You will see 2005 entries that should have appeared earlier.

Thats due to a bug in the search engine, not the archives themselves.

... John

Re: archive threads across months (was Re: [HACKERS]

Дата:
John Hansen wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-06-10 at 08:48 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> > > please provide a sample of what you are talking about ... :)
> >
> > Sure, search for "misnomer" and sorty by date.  Look at the last page.
> > You will see 2005 entries that should have appeared earlier.
> >

> Thats due to a bug in the search engine, not the archives themselves.

OK, how does it get fixed?

--
  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us

Re: archive threads across months (was Re: [HACKERS]

От
John Hansen
Дата:
On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 21:34 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> John Hansen wrote:

> > > Sure, search for "misnomer" and sorty by date.  Look at the last page.
> > > You will see 2005 entries that should have appeared earlier.
> > >

> > Thats due to a bug in the search engine, not the archives themselves.
>
> OK, how does it get fixed?

Someone needs to fix the ASPseek source...

Re: archive threads across months (was Re: [HACKERS]

Дата:
John Hansen wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 21:34 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > John Hansen wrote:

> > > Thats due to a bug in the search engine, not the archives themselves.
> >
> > OK, how does it get fixed?
>
> Someone needs to fix the ASPseek source...

Have we submitted a bug report to them?

--
  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us

Re: archive threads across months (was Re: [HACKERS]

От
John Hansen
Дата:
On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 22:01 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> John Hansen wrote:

> > > OK, how does it get fixed?
> >
> > Someone needs to fix the ASPseek source...
>
> Have we submitted a bug report to them?

The project is more or less dead, only the userbase still exists.
And the version we're running is heavily modified.

I will get around to fixing this, I just don't have the time at present.

... John