Обсуждение: Major upcoming upgrade to postgresql.org ...

Major upcoming upgrade to postgresql.org ...

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
Around the 1st of May, I'm planning on migrating the postgresql.org
vServer to our new FreeBSD 6.x / amd64 server ... this will involve a few
hours of downtime, as the ports used within the vServer will have to be
upgraded, but that is why we've been moving off of using the older
templates, to make this smoother ...

Over the next 2 weeks, I'm going to be migrating a couple of other
vServers over to there, to test upgrading a vServer from i386 -> amd64,
and FreeBSD 4.x -> FreeBSD 6.x, to see if it causes any problems ...

Two reasons for posting this:

    1. to give a heads up

    2. to make sure that there isn't anything that anyone knows about
       happening on / about the 1st of May that suggests it should be
       postponed a bit ...

Checking the calendar ... May 1st is a Monday ... preferring to do it on a
weekend, will do it either April 29th, or May 6th, both Saturdays ...
right now, I'm favoring the 29th date (the sooner, the better) ...

Once completed, a replica of this will be maintained at our new Toronto
Data Center, to provide us with an "up to date" network failover backup

----

Re: Major upcoming upgrade to postgresql.org ...

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 06:51:05PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> Checking the calendar ... May 1st is a Monday ... preferring to do it on a
> weekend, will do it either April 29th, or May 6th, both Saturdays ...
> right now, I'm favoring the 29th date (the sooner, the better) ...

Out of curiosity, do we have traffic stats for pgFoundry? I'm
specifically wondering if the site gets more hits during the week
(indicating professional usage) or during the weekend (hobbyists).

Actually, having that info for the main site would be interesting as
well...

Re: Major upcoming upgrade to postgresql.org ...

От
"Guido Barosio"
Дата:
    2. to make sure that there isn't anything that anyone knows about
      happening on / about the 1st of May that suggests it should be
      postponed a bit ...

In many countries the 1st of may is a non working day, just a heads up.
(Traffic should be less, and, in my case for example [a single
reader], I will probably be off [but why not others also?])

Just a comment :)

g.-

On 4/21/06, Jim C. Nasby <jnasby@pervasive.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 06:51:05PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > Checking the calendar ... May 1st is a Monday ... preferring to do it on a
> > weekend, will do it either April 29th, or May 6th, both Saturdays ...
> > right now, I'm favoring the 29th date (the sooner, the better) ...
>
> Out of curiosity, do we have traffic stats for pgFoundry? I'm
> specifically wondering if the site gets more hits during the week
> (indicating professional usage) or during the weekend (hobbyists).
>
> Actually, having that info for the main site would be interesting as
> well...
> --
> Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      jnasby@pervasive.com
> Pervasive Software      http://pervasive.com    work: 512-231-6117
> vcard: http://jim.nasby.net/pervasive.vcf       cell: 512-569-9461

Guido Barosio
-----------------------
http://www.globant.com
guido.barosio@globant.com

Re: Major upcoming upgrade to postgresql.org ...

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Guido Barosio wrote:

>    2. to make sure that there isn't anything that anyone knows about
>      happening on / about the 1st of May that suggests it should be
>      postponed a bit ...
>
> In many countries the 1st of may is a non working day, just a heads up.
> (Traffic should be less, and, in my case for example [a single
> reader], I will probably be off [but why not others also?])

Actually, will do the upgrade on the Saturday before the 1st (April 29th)

----

Re: Major upcoming upgrade to postgresql.org ...

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
http://www.pgfoundry.org/awstats.pl?month=04&year=2004&output=main&config=pgfoundry.org

nobody had asked before, so I hadn't been running it ... its setup to
auto-update now, and is processing through "old logs" as we speak ...

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 06:51:05PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> Checking the calendar ... May 1st is a Monday ... preferring to do it on a
>> weekend, will do it either April 29th, or May 6th, both Saturdays ...
>> right now, I'm favoring the 29th date (the sooner, the better) ...
>
> Out of curiosity, do we have traffic stats for pgFoundry? I'm
> specifically wondering if the site gets more hits during the week
> (indicating professional usage) or during the weekend (hobbyists).
>
> Actually, having that info for the main site would be interesting as
> well...
> --
> Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      jnasby@pervasive.com
> Pervasive Software      http://pervasive.com    work: 512-231-6117
> vcard: http://jim.nasby.net/pervasive.vcf       cell: 512-569-9461

----

Re: Major upcoming upgrade to postgresql.org ...

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 03:47:24PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> http://www.pgfoundry.org/awstats.pl?month=04&year=2004&output=main&config=pgfoundry.org
>
> nobody had asked before, so I hadn't been running it ... its setup to
> auto-update now, and is processing through "old logs" as we speak ...

Cool. I'd say it's worth linking to that from somewhere...

Happen to have stats for the main site as well? I guess that's a lot
trickier since it's on multiple servers...

Re: Major upcoming upgrade to postgresql.org ...

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 03:47:24PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> http://www.pgfoundry.org/awstats.pl?month=04&year=2004&output=main&config=pgfoundry.org
>>
>> nobody had asked before, so I hadn't been running it ... its setup to
>> auto-update now, and is processing through "old logs" as we speak ...
>
> Cool. I'd say it's worth linking to that from somewhere...
>
> Happen to have stats for the main site as well? I guess that's a lot
> trickier since it's on multiple servers...

Actually, the main site's logging was disabled *long* ago ... after
testing, it was found that the logging was causing slow downs ...

----