Обсуждение: suggestions for "whatsnew" page

suggestions for "whatsnew" page

От
Jeff MacDonald
Дата:
greetings,

I'm new to the list :)

I had a look at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/whatsnew  and I have some
suggestions for making that particular page better.

- I'd like to know more specific information about the "administration
functions" and how they have improved over previous versions of pg. this
might be as simple as a link into the documentation, or as involved as
making a "detailedlistingofwhatisnew" page.

- it would be cool if references to pgsql functions (min(), max(),
lastval(), etc) were hyperlinked into the documentation.

- more hyperlinks! it's great that there are "more than 120 new
features", but I have no idea where to start reading in the docs so I
can make use of them :)

- a link to
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/release-8-1.html from the
"whatsnew" page seems appropriate.

I realize these suggestions, if implemented, will require a "plain text"
and "website" version which may be more work but if we get more users as
a result I feel it will be worth it.

regards,
Jeff MacDonald
Zoid Technologies, http://zoidtechnologies.com/

Re: suggestions for "whatsnew" page

От
Jim Nasby
Дата:
Is the website available in CVS so Jeff can submit a patch?

On Mar 28, 2006, at 10:08 PM, Jeff MacDonald wrote:

> greetings,
>
> I'm new to the list :)
>
> I had a look at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/whatsnew  and I have
> some
> suggestions for making that particular page better.
>
> - I'd like to know more specific information about the "administration
> functions" and how they have improved over previous versions of pg.
> this
> might be as simple as a link into the documentation, or as involved as
> making a "detailedlistingofwhatisnew" page.
>
> - it would be cool if references to pgsql functions (min(), max(),
> lastval(), etc) were hyperlinked into the documentation.
>
> - more hyperlinks! it's great that there are "more than 120 new
> features", but I have no idea where to start reading in the docs so I
> can make use of them :)
>
> - a link to
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/release-8-1.html
> from the
> "whatsnew" page seems appropriate.
>
> I realize these suggestions, if implemented, will require a "plain
> text"
> and "website" version which may be more work but if we get more
> users as
> a result I feel it will be worth it.
>
> regards,
> Jeff MacDonald