Обсуждение: new survey idea

new survey idea

От
Robert Treat

What 3rd Party Reporting Tool Do You Use With PostgreSQL?

Crystal Reports
Cognos ReportNet
JasperReports
MicroStrategy
OpenReports
Home Brew System

Any others?

Robert Treat

Re: new survey idea

От
"Guido Barosio"
Дата:
To append, Businness Objects ?

g.-

On 28 Feb 2006 17:20:37 -0500, Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net > wrote:

What 3rd Party Reporting Tool Do You Use With PostgreSQL?

Crystal Reports
Cognos ReportNet
JasperReports
MicroStrategy
OpenReports
Home Brew System

Any others?

Robert Treat

/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  .
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  .
X  - NO Word docs in e-mail .

Re: new survey idea

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Robert,

> Any others?

OpenOffice.org
MS Office
ReKall

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: new survey idea

От
"Dave Page"

MS Office doesn't include a reporting tool.

Regards, Dave.

Re: new survey idea

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> What 3rd Party Reporting Tool Do You Use With PostgreSQL?

"Do you use most" or somethingl ike that? AFAIK, we can't do
multiple-choice surveys... Unless you plan to fix that while you're at
it :-)

> Crystal Reports
> Cognos ReportNet
> JasperReports
> MicroStrategy
> OpenReports
> Home Brew System
<nitpick>strictly speaking, if it's home brew, it isn't 3rd party, is
it?</nitpick>

> Any others?

MS Reporting Services

//Magnus

Re: new survey idea

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> > > Any others?
> >
> > OpenOffice.org
> > MS Office
>
> MS Office doesn't include a reporting tool.

Uh, you can use Access as a reportig tool to any ODBC database, can't
you? Not a very good one, but you can create reports...

//Magnus

Re: new survey idea

От
"Dave Page"

You can use Excel as well, but it doesn't make it a reporting tool like
Crystal for example.

Regards, Dave

Re: new survey idea

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:

> > > MS Office doesn't include a reporting tool.
> >
> > Uh, you can use Access as a reportig tool to any ODBC
> database, can't
> > you? Not a very good one, but you can create reports...
>
> You can use Excel as well, but it doesn't make it a reporting
> tool like Crystal for example.

Well, if the definition of "reporting tool" is "impossible to package
for automated installations, and impossible to use unless all your users
are administrators on their machines", no it's not ;-)

But seriously. Crystal comes in two flavours, I think? One client based
(that sucks beyond recognition, and can be compared to access) and one
server based (that I don't know the suckage factor of, but that I guess
you're referring to).

If it was an actual scientific survey, we'd need to clearly specify if
we were talking about server or client or hybrid products. In this case,
I really don't think it matters that much :-)

//Magnus

Re: new survey idea

От
"Dave Page"

Yeah, there is a now a server based version but I've never used it. The
client version is slightly strange I grant you, but is actually very
powerful when you get the hang of it.

/D

Re: new survey idea

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> > But seriously. Crystal comes in two flavours, I think? One client
> > based (that sucks beyond recognition, and can be compared
> to access)
> > and one server based (that I don't know the suckage factor of, but
> > that I guess you're referring to).
>
> Yeah, there is a now a server based version but I've never
> used it. The client version is slightly strange I grant you,
> but is actually very powerful when you get the hang of it.

Oh, I hope it's good from a developer perspective, since so many ppl use
it.

It's a complete nightmare from a sysadmin perspective (in a larger
environment), though. Especialliy when you have to deal with a lot of
incompatible different versions (heard of DLL hell? This is a lot
worse..)

//Magnus

Re: new survey idea

От
Tino Wildenhain
Дата:
Magnus Hagander schrieb:

> Oh, I hope it's good from a developer perspective, since so many ppl use
> it.

*hahaha* if "so many ppl use it" would be sufficient as a quality
indicator, then mySQL would be the best database in the world .-)

SCNR ;)

Re: new survey idea

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Mittwoch, 1. März 2006 09:36 schrieb Dave Page:
> You can use Excel as well, but it doesn't make it a reporting tool like
> Crystal for example.

It would be up to the voters to determine what they consider to be a reporting
tool in their minds.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: new survey idea

От
"Dave Page"

We have to draw the line somewhere - we only have 8 (iirc) option slots to use.

Regards, Dave.

Re: new survey idea

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 08:36:57AM -0000, Dave Page wrote:
> > Uh, you can use Access as a reportig tool to any ODBC database, can't
> > you? Not a very good one, but you can create reports...
>
> You can use Excel as well, but it doesn't make it a reporting tool like
> Crystal for example.

Yet I bet a lot of people use it as such (I uses it as an easy way to
generate graphs).