Обсуждение: Archives formatting

Archives formatting

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Evening all,

I've been fiddling around with the formatting of the archives pages to make
them blend in more with the main website. Because most of these are
generated by Majordomo, there's only so much that can be done, so I've
restricted my formatting to the header and footer files that get included
when pages are served. Consequently, the pages do not exactly validate
perfectly, but they do seem to render OK.

http://archives2.postgresql.org/

(Note that this is not being kept up to date).

Thoughts/comments? Any reasons not to put it live?

Regards, Dave

Re: Archives formatting

От
"Gavin M. Roy"
Дата:
Looks great!

Gavin

On Dec 13, 2005, at 2:36 PM, Dave Page wrote:

> Evening all,
>
> I've been fiddling around with the formatting of the archives pages
> to make
> them blend in more with the main website. Because most of these are
> generated by Majordomo, there's only so much that can be done, so I've
> restricted my formatting to the header and footer files that get
> included
> when pages are served. Consequently, the pages do not exactly validate
> perfectly, but they do seem to render OK.
>
> http://archives2.postgresql.org/
>
> (Note that this is not being kept up to date).
>
> Thoughts/comments? Any reasons not to put it live?
>
> Regards, Dave
>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
>        match

Gavin M. Roy
800 Pound Gorilla
gmr@ehpg.net

Re: Archives formatting

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 22:36 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> Evening all,
>
> I've been fiddling around with the formatting of the archives pages to make
> them blend in more with the main website. Because most of these are
> generated by Majordomo, there's only so much that can be done, so I've
> restricted my formatting to the header and footer files that get included
> when pages are served. Consequently, the pages do not exactly validate
> perfectly, but they do seem to render OK.
>
> http://archives2.postgresql.org/
>
> (Note that this is not being kept up to date).
>
> Thoughts/comments? Any reasons not to put it live?

I think it looks great but I have a couple of suggestions:

1. By default we should just have the search box and the mailing list
drop down... otherwise there is a whole lot of real estate that has
nothing to do with the messages I am viewing taking up the screen.

So perhaps an advanced serch tab?

2. It looks great!

Joshua D. Drake

> Regards, Dave

>        match
Co-Authors: PLphp, PLperl, ODBCng - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Archives formatting

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> Evening all,
>
> I've been fiddling around with the formatting of the archives
> pages to make them blend in more with the main website.
> Because most of these are generated by Majordomo, there's
> only so much that can be done, so I've restricted my
> formatting to the header and footer files that get included
> when pages are served. Consequently, the pages do not exactly
> validate perfectly, but they do seem to render OK.
>
> http://archives2.postgresql.org/
>
> (Note that this is not being kept up to date).
>
> Thoughts/comments? Any reasons not to put it live?

Looks nice. Much nicer than what we have now :-)

I assume you mean replacing what's on archives. now, or do you mean
moving it to the different server as well?

Can it be set up so it can pull any changes to the menus etc now and
then from the main site, or does that have to be updated manually?
(Especially important for the left-side menu)

How about moving the search box to the bottom of the page? Or have a
simple search on top and a larger one at the bottom? It uses up a whole
lof ot screen space as it is now...

//Magnus

Re: Archives formatting

От
Gavin Sherry
Дата:
Hi,

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Dave Page wrote:

> Evening all,
>
> I've been fiddling around with the formatting of the archives pages to make
> them blend in more with the main website. Because most of these are
> generated by Majordomo, there's only so much that can be done, so I've
> restricted my formatting to the header and footer files that get included
> when pages are served. Consequently, the pages do not exactly validate
> perfectly, but they do seem to render OK.
>
> http://archives2.postgresql.org/

Looks good. One note: the links do not change colour when I visit them, it
seems. This makes the archives harder to read, IMHO.

On another note, the version of MHonArc is quite old 2.6.8. The latest
version is 2.6.15. There were several security fixes in May.

Thanks,

Gavin

Re: Archives formatting

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 17:36, Dave Page wrote:
> Evening all,
>
> I've been fiddling around with the formatting of the archives pages to make
> them blend in more with the main website. Because most of these are
> generated by Majordomo, there's only so much that can be done, so I've
> restricted my formatting to the header and footer files that get included
> when pages are served. Consequently, the pages do not exactly validate
> perfectly, but they do seem to render OK.
>
> http://archives2.postgresql.org/
>
> (Note that this is not being kept up to date).
>
> Thoughts/comments? Any reasons not to put it live?

In a rush so this will be incomplete, but I think we have to address the
search box on the archive pages; it takes up far too much real estate on
the screen.

I might also think we ought to break the lists into proper categories in
the sidebar if we can, the current sidebar is unwieldy presented as is.

Robert Treat

Re: Archives formatting

От
Dave Page

On 13/12/05 10:59 pm, "Gevik babakhani" <gevik@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Looks very good :)
>
> I noticed that some list names get word-wrapped in IE.
>
> See attachment.

Wow, lot's of feedback :-) I'll try to cover everything in this one message:

1) Word wrap in IE. Longer names are going to wrap of course. Magnus has
been talking with Emily about a CSS fix for the overwriting problem, so I'm
waiting for the outcome of that.

2) Categorisation. Yes, I wanted to do that but the CSS made it quite
difficult, and I couldn't get it to work as I wanted (lot's of overprinting
issues, similar to those above. I need to try to understand the CSS better -
if anyone has any hints, please shout!

3) Search box - yes I agree it looks too big - that's the standard CSS
again. We could lose all but the text box and ML combo box from the main
form, and put the rest on a standalone 'advanced' form. I'll knock something
up.

4) Generation from main code. Should be possible, but how necessary is it?
All the CSS is checked out straight from CVS - the rest probably will never
change.

5) Mhonarc versions - not my area; Marc?

6) Link color - the links use the standard CSS from the main site. If I
change one, I would need to change them both to avoid the fun of having two
slightly-different sets of stylesheets. I do see what you mean though - any
ideas anyone?

7) Looks good - thanks, but I can't take credit for that; Emily and Omar did
all the hard work.

Regards, Dave

Re: Archives formatting

Дата:
Dave Page <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> writes:
> http://archives2.postgresql.org/
> Thoughts/comments? Any reasons not to put it live?

Is it intentional that you collapsed the existing classification of
lists (particularly the user lists/developer lists distinction) into one
large list on the left side?  I find that a distinct disimprovement
because it makes it noticeably harder to locate the lists I use most ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: Archives formatting

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Dave Page wrote:

> 5) Mhonarc versions - not my area; Marc?

Yup, am going to be working on that vServer to get it off the template,
which will allow me to get a few things upgraded cleanly on it ....

----

Re: Archives formatting

От
"Dave Page"

Intentional yes, but not intended to be permanent. The CSS doesn't play
well with non-href text in the menu sidebar so I'm working on a solution
still. I did mean to mention that in my original email but forgot :-(

/D

Re: Archives formatting

От
Robert Treat
On Wednesday 14 December 2005 03:24, Dave Page wrote:
> [...]

If it would help, we could make each classification a link to page with a
little more description and a list of the lists under it.  Probably not the
most elegant solution but its a simple one.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Archives formatting

От
"Dave Page"

OK, I think I got most of these, and a few off-list comments....

> 1) Word wrap in IE. Longer names are going to wrap of course.
> Magnus has
> been talking with Emily about a CSS fix for the overwriting
> problem, so I'm
> waiting for the outcome of that.

Still waiting for Magnus/Emily on that one.

> 2) Categorisation. Yes, I wanted to do that but the CSS made it quite
> difficult, and I couldn't get it to work as I wanted (lot's
> of overprinting
> issues, similar to those above. I need to try to understand
> the CSS better -
> if anyone has any hints, please shout!

I've made the menu hierarchical so you can now drill down through the
list categories.

> 3) Search box - yes I agree it looks too big - that's the standard CSS
> again. We could lose all but the text box and ML combo box
> from the main
> form, and put the rest on a standalone 'advanced' form. I'll
> knock something
> up.

The are now Advanced/Basic options, with basic as the default.

> 4) Generation from main code. Should be possible, but how
> necessary is it?
> All the CSS is checked out straight from CVS - the rest
> probably will never
> change.

No change.

> 5) Mhonarc versions - not my area; Marc?

N/A

> 6) Link color - the links use the standard CSS from the main
> site. If I
> change one, I would need to change them both to avoid the fun
> of having two
> slightly-different sets of stylesheets. I do see what you
> mean though - any
> ideas anyone?

Resolved through the wonders of CSS.

Did I miss anything?

Regards, Dave

Re: Archives formatting

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Friday 16 December 2005 08:09, Dave Page wrote:
> > 2) Categorisation. Yes, I wanted to do that but the CSS made it quite
> > difficult, and I couldn't get it to work as I wanted (lot's
> > of overprinting
> > issues, similar to those above. I need to try to understand
> > the CSS better -
> > if anyone has any hints, please shout!
>
> I've made the menu hierarchical so you can now drill down through the
> list categories.
>
> Did I miss anything?

Can you double check the categories that the various lists are in so they
match up against what we have at http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/?
The one that jumped out at me was pgsql-hackers-win32 which is listed under
developers lists, but I think should be in a "deprecated" or "inactive"
category.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Archives formatting

От
Dave Page

On 22/12/05 3:30 pm, "Robert Treat" <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

On Friday 16 December 2005 08:09, Dave Page wrote:
> > 2) Categorisation. Yes, I wanted to do that but the CSS made it quite
> > difficult, and I couldn't get it to work as I wanted (lot's
> > of overprinting
> > issues, similar to those above. I need to try to understand
> > the CSS better -
> > if anyone has any hints, please shout!
>
> I've made the menu hierarchical so you can now drill down through the
> list categories.
>
> Did I miss anything?

Can you double check the categories that the various lists are in so they
match up against what we have at http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/?
The one that jumped out at me was pgsql-hackers-win32 which is listed under
developers lists, but I think should be in a "deprecated" or "inactive"
category.

Should be better following syncs/builds etc.

Regards, Dave