Обсуждение: Case study: Proximity

Case study: Proximity

От
Gavin Sherry
Дата:
I tried sending this in earlier -- but it doesn't seem to have gotten
through.

Following is a case study written by myself and laid out by Omar and
Emily.

http://www.alcove.com.au/~swm/Proximity10.pdf

There are some great quotes for the site in this.

Thanks,

Gavin

Re: Case study: Proximity

От
Tom Copeland
Дата:
On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 09:18 +1100, Gavin Sherry wrote:
> I tried sending this in earlier -- but it doesn't seem to have gotten
> through.
>
> Following is a case study written by myself and laid out by Omar and
> Emily.
>
> http://www.alcove.com.au/~swm/Proximity10.pdf
>
> There are some great quotes for the site in this.

Very interesting reading, thanks!

Tom

Re: Case study: Proximity

От
Gavin Sherry
Дата:
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, Tom Copeland wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 09:18 +1100, Gavin Sherry wrote:
> > I tried sending this in earlier -- but it doesn't seem to have gotten
> > through.
> >
> > Following is a case study written by myself and laid out by Omar and
> > Emily.
> >
> > http://www.alcove.com.au/~swm/Proximity10.pdf
> >
> > There are some great quotes for the site in this.
>
> Very interesting reading, thanks!

Yep. I think it's a good case study. It's for the postgresql.org Web site
by the way -- can someone put it up?

Gavin

Re: Case study: Proximity

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> I tried sending this in earlier -- but it doesn't seem to
> have gotten through.
>
> Following is a case study written by myself and laid out by
> Omar and Emily.
>
> http://www.alcove.com.au/~swm/Proximity10.pdf
>
> There are some great quotes for the site in this.

Added to website, thanks!

//Magnus

Re: Case study: Proximity

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Tuesday 22 November 2005 17:18, Gavin Sherry wrote:
> I tried sending this in earlier -- but it doesn't seem to have gotten
> through.
>
> Following is a case study written by myself and laid out by Omar and
> Emily.
>
> http://www.alcove.com.au/~swm/Proximity10.pdf
>
> There are some great quotes for the site in this.

Do we have permission to add quotes to the front page? I'd like to add

"We consider the availability of source code a major advantage of using an
open source database. We haven't had to go a fix any bugs ourselves, but we
have peered at  the source to satisfy ourselves as to how things work"  --
Tim Allen, Senior Software Developer, Proximity Group.

Also I would like to add dates to the case studies descriptions on the site
unless there are any objections.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Case study: Proximity

От
Gavin Sherry
Дата:
On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Robert Treat wrote:

> On Tuesday 22 November 2005 17:18, Gavin Sherry wrote:
> > I tried sending this in earlier -- but it doesn't seem to have gotten
> > through.
> >
> > Following is a case study written by myself and laid out by Omar and
> > Emily.
> >
> > http://www.alcove.com.au/~swm/Proximity10.pdf
> >
> > There are some great quotes for the site in this.
> >

> Do we have permission to add quotes to the front page? I'd like to add

Yes.

> "We consider the availability of source code a major advantage of using an
> open source database. We haven't had to go a fix any bugs ourselves, but we
> have peered at  the source to satisfy ourselves as to how things work"  --
> Tim Allen, Senior Software Developer, Proximity Group.

There are other good quotes:

"Our systems are deployed in high-availability environments and the
combination of PostgreSQL on Linux has enabled us to deploy and support
systems without any need for a large support team."

> Also I would like to add dates to the case studies descriptions on the site
> unless there are any objections.

I think the PDF itself should be dated too. I'll talk to Omar.

Thanks,

Gavin

Re: Case study: Proximity

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 16:09, Gavin Sherry wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Robert Treat wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday 22 November 2005 17:18, Gavin Sherry wrote:
> > > I tried sending this in earlier -- but it doesn't seem to have gotten
> > > through.
> > >
> > > Following is a case study written by myself and laid out by Omar and
> > > Emily.
> > >
> > > http://www.alcove.com.au/~swm/Proximity10.pdf
> > >
> > > There are some great quotes for the site in this.
> > >

> > Do we have permission to add quotes to the front page? I'd like to add
>
> Yes.
>

> > "We consider the availability of source code a major advantage of using an
> > open source database. We haven't had to go a fix any bugs ourselves, but we
> > have peered at  the source to satisfy ourselves as to how things work"  --
> > Tim Allen, Senior Software Developer, Proximity Group.
> >

> There are other good quotes:
>
> "Our systems are deployed in high-availability environments and the
> combination of PostgreSQL on Linux has enabled us to deploy and support
> systems without any need for a large support team."

Yeah, how do we feel about multiple quotes from the same person?

Re: Case study: Proximity

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> > > "We consider the availability of source code a major advantage of
> > > using an open source database. We haven't had to go a fix
> any bugs
> > > ourselves, but we have peered at  the source to satisfy
> ourselves as
> > > to how things work"  -- Tim Allen, Senior Software
> Developer, Proximity Group.
> > >

> > There are other good quotes:
> >
> > "Our systems are deployed in high-availability environments and the
> > combination of PostgreSQL on Linux has enabled us to deploy and
> > support systems without any need for a large support team."
> >

> Yeah, how do we feel about multiple quotes from the same person?

I see no problem in general with it. Assuming we have "enough" quotes in
general that is - so we get a reasonable rotation in respect to person
as well as quote.

//Magnus

Re: Case study: Proximity

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Tuesday 29 November 2005 16:29, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> > any bugs

> > ourselves as

> > Developer, Proximity Group.
> >
> > > There are other good quotes:
> > >
> > > "Our systems are deployed in high-availability environments and the
> > > combination of PostgreSQL on Linux has enabled us to deploy and
> > > support systems without any need for a large support team."
> >
> > Yeah, how do we feel about multiple quotes from the same person?
>
> I see no problem in general with it. Assuming we have "enough" quotes in
> general that is - so we get a reasonable rotation in respect to person
> as well as quote.

Ok then, I've added the two aforementioned quotes from him.

--
Robert Treat