Обсуждение: Re: [PERFORM] Help speeding up delete

Re: [PERFORM] Help speeding up delete

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
> Steve Wampler <swampler@noao.edu> writes:
> > We've got an older system in production (PG 7.2.4).

> Update to 7.4 or later ;-)
>
> Quite seriously, if you're still using 7.2.4 for production purposes
> you could justifiably be accused of negligence.  There are three or four
> data-loss-grade bugs fixed in the later 7.2.x releases, not to mention
> security holes; and that was before we abandoned support for 7.2.
> You *really* need to be thinking about an update.

Perhaps we should put a link on the home page underneath LATEST RELEASEs
saying
    7.2: de-supported

with a link to a scary note along the lines of the above.

ISTM that there are still too many people on older releases.

We probably need an explanation of why we support so many releases (in
comparison to licenced software) and a note that this does not imply the
latest releases are not yet production (in comparison to MySQL or Sybase
who have been in beta for a very long time).

Best Regards, Simon Riggs

Re: [PERFORM] Help speeding up delete

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
>>Update to 7.4 or later ;-)
>>
>>Quite seriously, if you're still using 7.2.4 for production purposes
>>you could justifiably be accused of negligence.  There are three or four
>>data-loss-grade bugs fixed in the later 7.2.x releases, not to mention
>>security holes; and that was before we abandoned support for 7.2.
>>You *really* need to be thinking about an update.
>

> Perhaps we should put a link on the home page underneath LATEST RELEASEs
> saying
>     7.2: de-supported
>
> with a link to a scary note along the lines of the above.

I strongly support an explicit desupported notice for 7.2 and below on
the website...

Chris

Re: [PERFORM] Help speeding up delete

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
> Perhaps we should put a link on the home page underneath LATEST RELEASEs
> saying
>     7.2: de-supported
>
> with a link to a scary note along the lines of the above.
>
> ISTM that there are still too many people on older releases.
>
> We probably need an explanation of why we support so many releases (in
> comparison to licenced software) and a note that this does not imply the
> latest releases are not yet production (in comparison to MySQL or Sybase
> who have been in beta for a very long time).

By the way, is anyone interested in creating some sort of online
repository on pgsql.org or pgfoundry where we can keep statically
compiled pg_dump/all for several platforms for 8.1?

That way if someone wanted to upgrade from 7.2 to 8.1, they can just
grab the latest dumper from the website, dump their old database, then
upgrade easily.

In my experience not many pgsql admins have test servers or the skills
to build up test machines with the latest pg_dump, etc.  (Seriously.)
In fact, few realise at all that they should use the 8.1 dumper.

Chris

Re: [PERFORM] Help speeding up delete

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 19:40, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > Perhaps we should put a link on the home page underneath LATEST RELEASEs
> > saying
> >     7.2: de-supported
> >
> > with a link to a scary note along the lines of the above.
> >
> > ISTM that there are still too many people on older releases.
> >
> > We probably need an explanation of why we support so many releases (in
> > comparison to licenced software) and a note that this does not imply the
> > latest releases are not yet production (in comparison to MySQL or Sybase
> > who have been in beta for a very long time).
>
> By the way, is anyone interested in creating some sort of online
> repository on pgsql.org or pgfoundry where we can keep statically
> compiled pg_dump/all for several platforms for 8.1?
>
> That way if someone wanted to upgrade from 7.2 to 8.1, they can just
> grab the latest dumper from the website, dump their old database, then
> upgrade easily.
>
> In my experience not many pgsql admins have test servers or the skills
> to build up test machines with the latest pg_dump, etc.  (Seriously.)
> In fact, few realise at all that they should use the 8.1 dumper.

I would especially like such a thing available as an RPM.  A
pgsql-8.1-clienttools.rpm or something like that, with psql, pg_dump,
pg_restore, and what other command line tools you can think of that
would help.