Обсуждение: Svr2 move to borg

Svr2 move to borg

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
Svr2 has now been moved to borg, along with the 186_www, 186_users and
186_techdocs databases. Note that to aid quick return to hub.org if ever
required, rather than change the DB server name in the main and techdocs
sites I have pointed pgsql74.hub.org to borg.postgresql.org in the hosts
file on svr2.

In related news, can advocacy.postgresql.org be laid to rest now?

Regards, Dave.

Re: Svr2 move to borg

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Thursday 10 February 2005 05:55, Dave Page wrote:
> In related news, can advocacy.postgresql.org be laid to rest now?

I was going to write up that same email this morning.  I was thinking that
maybe we ought to preserve it someplace for historical reasons, but otherwise
I think it is sufficiently crufty that we need to shut it down.  IIRC the
idea was to point advocacy.postgresql.org to www.postgresql.org/about/,
though I wonder if we should have any requests to advocacy actualy bring up a
static page explaining that the site has been laid to rest and with a pointer
to the main website.  This would allow us to have the static page translated
into all the languages that were on advocacy, and provide pointers to
whenever it might be best for those languages users to go.  Any thoughts?

--
Robert Treat

Re: Svr2 move to borg

От
"Dave Page"

Sounds good to me. I assume it's all in CVS, so we will still have
everything?

On a similar note, what about the developer site? I know there is some
stuff deep-linked form the main site, but the actual formatted pages
have all been replaced now haven't they?

Regards Dave.

Re: Svr2 move to borg

От
Robert Treat
On Thursday 10 February 2005 08:26, Dave Page wrote:
> [...]

Well, we have two options I guess... either make sure everyhting on the site
is synched up with cvs, or create a tarball of whats live and save that
someplace and remove it from cvs.  In either case we'll need to keep a copy
of the db around, since a lot of the content(like the translated pages) was
kept in the db.

> On a similar note, what about the developer site? I know there is some
> stuff deep-linked form the main site, but the actual formatted pages
> have all been replaced now haven't they?

Yeah... I had hoped to get some redirects/links going from the developer site
into the main www site, but have become backlogged on actual work so it isn't
getting done very quickly.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Svr2 move to borg

От
"Dave Page"

Well we can certainly dump the DB and include it in a tar archive (I
didn't realise it was DB backed to be honest!).

> > On a similar note, what about the developer site? I know
> there is some
> > stuff deep-linked form the main site, but the actual formatted pages
> > have all been replaced now haven't they?
> >

> Yeah... I had hoped to get some redirects/links going from
> the developer site
> into the main www site, but have become backlogged on actual
> work so it isn't
> getting done very quickly.

I know that feeling!

/D

RIP Advocacy Website WAS Re: Svr2 move to borg

От
Robert Treat
On Thursday 10 February 2005 09:38, Dave Page wrote:
> [...]

Well... why don't I go about synching up the cvs and we can do a dump and
check that in as well in case anyone ever wants to use it.  In the mean time,
we ought to get a blurb figured out so we can get it translated... Josh do
you want to head that up ?

--
Robert Treat

Re: Svr2 move to borg

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Dave,

> Svr2 has now been moved to borg, along with the 186_www, 186_users and
> 186_techdocs databases. Note that to aid quick return to hub.org if ever
> required, rather than change the DB server name in the main and techdocs
> sites I have pointed pgsql74.hub.org to borg.postgresql.org in the hosts
> file on svr2.

Please CC messages like this to sysadmins@postgresql.org.   There are several
people on sysadmins who are not on -WWW, for reasons we discussed when we
established that list.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Translations WAS: Svr2 move to borg

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Robert,

>  This would allow
> us to have the static page translated into all the languages that were on
> advocacy, and provide pointers to whenever it might be best for those
> languages users to go.  Any thoughts?

Speaking of which ...

someone (who understands the new site architecture, which I don't) needs to
prepare a set of instructions for the translators on translating
postgresql.org.   When that's done, I can turn them loose on the main site.

I'll warn you ahead of time that:
1) Some of the translators can't do HTML well;
2) Some of the translators can't do CVS patches, or figure out CVS at all,
really.

So the translation process needs to provide ways to translate the content of
the site that does NOT involve doing "make a CVS diff of the .en version ..."

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Romanian website (www.postgresql.ro)

От
Adrian Maier
Дата:
Hello,

A couple of months ago (in November) i have registered the
postgresql.ro domain with the intention of building a Romanian
website for PostgreSQL.

Since these days I have some spare time, I am plannning to
work on this site.

I'm thinking to translate parts of the main website, while keeping
its design and structure (for consistency).
So, I'd need to know if there is a CVS server where the main
website code is kept   ( is it a  gborg/pgfoundry project ?  )

Cheers,
Adrian Maier

Re: Svr2 move to borg

От
"Dave Page"

Err, actually there's 1 person not on the www list afaict, and he
wouldn't be affected by this in any way whatsoever.

If there are other ppl on the sysadmins list that I don't know about,
they are not listed in our DR notes (as they should be), and they're not
running any server that I know about. Please let me know if that is the
case so I can update the records.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Romanian website (www.postgresql.ro)

От
Adrian Maier
Дата:
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:26:02 +0200, Adrian Maier <adrian.maier@gmail.com> wrote:
> A couple of months ago (in November) i have registered the
> postgresql.ro domain with the intention of building a Romanian
> website for PostgreSQL.
>
> Since these days I have some spare time, I am plannning to
> work on this site.
>
> I'm thinking to translate parts of the main website, while keeping
> its design and structure (for consistency).
> So, I'd need to know if there is a CVS server where the main
> website code is kept   ( is it a  gborg/pgfoundry project ?  )

I think I've found it:   the  pgweb project  (on gborg).

Cheers,
Adrian Maier

Re: Svr2 move to borg

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Dave,

> Err, actually there's 1 person not on the www list afaict, and he
> wouldn't be affected by this in any way whatsoever.
>
> If there are other ppl on the sysadmins list that I don't know about,
> they are not listed in our DR notes (as they should be), and they're not
> running any server that I know about. Please let me know if that is the
> case so I can update the records.

Andrew Dunstan, Sean Chittenden, Darcy.   Although admittedly Sean isn't
running a server yet, due to technical delays.  This number will go up with
future donated hosting.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Svr2 move to borg

От
"Dave Page"

Andrew was the one I was thinking of. What is Darcy running? He's not in
the DR notes, and all the servers are accounted for in there.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Svr2 move to borg

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Dave,

> Andrew was the one I was thinking of. What is Darcy running? He's not in
> the DR notes, and all the servers are accounted for in there.

Well, Darcy was originally preparing the DR plan.  I thought he had a server?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Svr2 move to borg

От
"Dave Page"

Err, I proposed and wrote all the DR stuff. To be honest, I don't recall
Darcy ever being involved in the infrastructure side of things. For that
matter, which one are we talking about JM Cain or Buskermolen? (sorry
Darcy, nothing personal :-) )

/D

Re: Svr2 move to borg

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
>>> Andrew was the one I was thinking of. What is Darcy
>> running? He's not in
>>> the DR notes, and all the servers are accounted for in there.
>>
>> Well, Darcy was originally preparing the DR plan.  I thought
>> he had a server?
>
> Err, I proposed and wrote all the DR stuff. To be honest, I don't recall
> Darcy ever being involved in the infrastructure side of things. For that
> matter, which one are we talking about JM Cain or Buskermolen? (sorry
> Darcy, nothing personal :-) )

DarcyB ... he was involved in alot of hte talks we had when the provider
links went down in December ... I didn't think he was providing a server,
only planning on helping with DR pllanning ...

----