Обсуждение: request: search engine for PostgreSQL site

request: search engine for PostgreSQL site

От
Ralph Graulich
Дата:
Hello,

as a result of a recent discussion on the PostgreSQL channel on IRC
concerning the search function in the documentation area of the PostgreSQL
website, I suggest integrating a search function like the one at
"http://pgsql.ru".

Personally I think the current search function is not that much useful and
looking at pgsql.ru yields much better search results.

David Fetter asked me to post this request directly to the pgsql-www list,
so here I am.

Best regards
... Ralph ...

Re: request: search engine for PostgreSQL site

От
Robert Bernier
Дата:
Guys,

I sometimes break down and use the onsite search function but I never get what
I'm looking for. I get better results using google.

Rather than build the search function may I suggest using those hooks that
google makes available to search one's own site.

I know this isn't new stuff and it has been thrashed out already but the fact
remains that the current setup doesn't help me (I can only speak of personal
experience)

On January 22, 2005 07:41 am, Ralph Graulich wrote:
> Hello,
>
> as a result of a recent discussion on the PostgreSQL channel on IRC
> concerning the search function in the documentation area of the PostgreSQL
> website, I suggest integrating a search function like the one at
> "http://pgsql.ru".
>
> Personally I think the current search function is not that much useful and
> looking at pgsql.ru yields much better search results.
>
> David Fetter asked me to post this request directly to the pgsql-www list,
> so here I am.
>
> Best regards
> ... Ralph ...

Robert Bernier
 PostgreSQL Business Intelligence Analyst,
  SRA AMERICA (Formerly of One WTC)
  Consulting, PostgreSQL Services & PowerGres on Windows
  One Penn Plaza, Suite 1910
  New York, NY 10119

  Tel:  212.244.8833

Re: request: search engine for PostgreSQL site

От
"John Hansen"
Дата:
> I sometimes break down and use the onsite search function but
> I never get what I'm looking for. I get better results using google.

Could you kindly assist us in making it better, by specifying 'what you are looking for' where google provides better
results?

> > Personally I think the current search function is not that much useful
> > and looking at pgsql.ru yields much better search results.

Same with this one.... What defines 'better results' to you?

... John

Re: request: search engine for PostgreSQL site

От
Robert Bernier
Дата:
My most common searches involves old correspondance from the mail lists when I'm looking for problems and issues that
havecropped up before. Most of the returns either point to unrelated documentation or no mentions at all. And when I do
geta positive response it quotes old  correspondance when I know that there should be mention of newer posts.

On January 22, 2005 08:47 am, John Hansen wrote:
> > I sometimes break down and use the onsite search function but
> > I never get what I'm looking for. I get better results using google.
>
> Could you kindly assist us in making it better, by specifying 'what you are
> looking for' where google provides better results?
>
> > > Personally I think the current search function is not that much useful
> > > and looking at pgsql.ru yields much better search results.
>
> Same with this one.... What defines 'better results' to you?
>

> ... John

Re: request: search engine for PostgreSQL site

От
"John Hansen"
Дата:
> My most common searches involves old correspondance from the
> mail lists when I'm looking for problems and issues that have
> cropped up before. Most of the returns either point to
> unrelated documentation or no mentions at all. And when I do
> get a positive response it quotes old  correspondance when I
> know that there should be mention of newer posts.

Could you give me an example of a query that works but returns old threads when you know of newer posts, and one that
returnnothing but unrelated information?

... John

Re: request: search engine for PostgreSQL site

От
Robert Bernier
Дата:
Well, the problem has to do with the search box on the home page. A reference of "pg_dump" yields stuff only from
documentation.On the other hand I get straight into the mail lists when I do the same search using google i.e. "pg_dump
helppostgresql"

Using the search box on the mail list archives means starting from the home page and clicking on the mail list button
"community"and then clicking again on the link that eventually leads me to "http://archives.postgresql.org/". Then and
onlythen do I start getting more relevant searches.

Might I suggest that "all" search boxes have a choice of either reference documentation or the mail list but assume
thatthe person wants the mail list by default first.

On January 22, 2005 10:23 am, John Hansen wrote:
> > My most common searches involves old correspondance from the
> > mail lists when I'm looking for problems and issues that have
> > cropped up before. Most of the returns either point to
> > unrelated documentation or no mentions at all. And when I do
> > get a positive response it quotes old  correspondance when I
> > know that there should be mention of newer posts.
>
> Could you give me an example of a query that works but returns old threads
> when you know of newer posts, and one that return nothing but unrelated
> information?
>
> ... John

Re: request: search engine for PostgreSQL site

Дата:
Robert Bernier <robert.bernier5@sympatico.ca> writes:
> Might I suggest that "all" search boxes have a choice of either reference documentation or the mail list but assume
thatthe person wants the mail list by default first.

Why would you think that should be the default?

            regards, tom lane

Re: request: search engine for PostgreSQL site

От
Robert Bernier
Дата:
On January 22, 2005 04:25 pm, Tom Lane wrote:
> Robert Bernier <robert.bernier5@sympatico.ca> writes:
> > Might I suggest that "all" search boxes have a choice of either reference
> > documentation or the mail list but assume that the person wants the mail
> > list by default first.
>
> Why would you think that should be the default?

People search because they want help and help is found by looking at what
other people have to say about a given issue.

It should be a straight forward process of demonstrating the validity of one
format over another. Just Create a search box that favors mails lists and
read the hits from any one ip address in a given time span.

When you've got enough stats then change the order of the default so that
documentation is favored and then track the difference in stats that are
being generated.

The higher the number of search requests the more likely it means that they
aren't getting what they want. If they follow up with many hits on mail list
links then that means that they are interested in following the mail list
rather than the documenation.

cheers

Robert Bernier

Re: request: search engine for PostgreSQL site

От
"Dave Page"

The docs are always the first place I look, as they are the
authoritative source of published information.

However, the searches are context sensitive, they do not try to think
for you - for example, if you seach from a docs page, you get results
from that doc set. If you search from the archives, you get results for
the archives. If you search from the main site, you get results from
that site. Having the searches return results only from some site other
than the one the user searches from (event if just a default option)
will just confuse people.

Regards, Dave.

Re: request: search engine for PostgreSQL site

От
Robert Bernier
Дата:
On January 22, 2005 05:27 pm, Dave Page wrote:
> [...]

ah, and that's the difference. One may think of looking of docs while another
will want to look at mail archives. People know enough to go to the site but
not understand there's a difference in search.

Let's test and find out what approach is the most popular. Design the front
page search to explicitly explain and favor a particular approach and then
track what happens.

> Regards, Dave.

Re: request: search engine for PostgreSQL site

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, Robert Bernier wrote:

> On January 22, 2005 04:25 pm, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Robert Bernier <robert.bernier5@sympatico.ca> writes:
>>> Might I suggest that "all" search boxes have a choice of either reference
>>> documentation or the mail list but assume that the person wants the mail
>>> list by default first.
>>
>> Why would you think that should be the default?
>
> People search because they want help and help is found by looking at what
> other people have to say about a given issue.
>
> It should be a straight forward process of demonstrating the validity of one
> format over another. Just Create a search box that favors mails lists and
> read the hits from any one ip address in a given time span.
>
> When you've got enough stats then change the order of the default so that
> documentation is favored and then track the difference in stats that are
> being generated.
>
> The higher the number of search requests the more likely it means that they
> aren't getting what they want. If they follow up with many hits on mail list
> links then that means that they are interested in following the mail list
> rather than the documenation.

group search results by site and you'll get what you want. See, for example,
http://www.pgsql.ru/db/pgsearch/index.html?q=pg_dump&tmpl=%CF%F0%E8%E2%E5%F2&ps=20&set=&group=2&site=

> cheers
>
> Robert Bernier

         Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: request: search engine for PostgreSQL site

От
"John Hansen"
Дата:
> Using the search box on the mail list archives means starting
> from the home page and clicking on the mail list button
> "community" and then clicking again on the link that
> eventually leads me to "http://archives.postgresql.org/".
> Then and only then do I start getting more relevant searches.

This was actually the intended behaviour, namely searching the current document set according to context.

Eg, go to http://www.postgresql.org/ and you search the entire www site, whereas if you go to
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/you only search the 8.0 static docs.

... John