Обсуждение: Building Press Pages for Web site

Building Press Pages for Web site

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Folks,

OK, with release back on a schedule, I notice that I never got a response to
last week's posting of the press pages.

I'll have a package of updated press pages (just the dates change) tommorrow.
Can I hear from someone that they'll go on the website on Tuesday  morning,
US time?    I'd like to have the translators look at them for last-minute
fixes before release.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Building Press Pages for Web site

От
"Dave Page"

Are they in the correct format for the site, or currently raw text or
HTML?

> Can I hear from someone that they'll go on the website on
> Tuesday  morning,
> US time?    I'd like to have the translators look at them for
> last-minute
> fixes before release.

I'll put them up (assuming they don't need masses of reformatting), but
I'll want to do it asap rather than Tuesday (I can fix any minor errors
found between then and Tues, and leave them hidden until then). I have a
few other things to do as well so want to get a bit of flexibility!

Regards, Dave.

Re: Building Press Pages for Web site

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Dave,

> Are they in the correct format for the site, or currently raw text or
> HTML?

They're HTML, set up for the new site.    However, I really haven't dealt with
encoding issues, and some may have HTML typos we'll find when we put them up.

All but 2 are finished.   I'm waiting on translators to update the dates on
the Turkish and Greek translations (my poor text editor can't handle those
languages!).   However, even those files won't be changing more than one
line, so you could set them up now and update them later.

> I'll put them up (assuming they don't need masses of reformatting), but
> I'll want to do it asap rather than Tuesday (I can fix any minor errors
> found between then and Tues, and leave them hidden until then). I have a
> few other things to do as well so want to get a bit of flexibility!

If you can put them on the site, but not link them from anywhere now, it would
be lovely.   Also, please update the Contacts List
in /about/press/contacts.html (file below)

If possible, I'd prefer it if we didn't go live on the changes to the home
page and linking the press releases until after 5pm PST, which should be easy
for you ...just set it up in the morning your time, or the afternoon, Omar
and Emily's time.   Here's the things I see needing to get done on the web
site the "day of" the release:

1) Modify the home page to display the 8.0 released callout.
2) Link the press releases to /about/press
3) Link in the Press FAQ  (should be in CVS already)

The Contacts list is available at:
http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/31/contact.html

The amalgamated press lists are available at:
http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/30/all_press_pages.tgz
.... please note that this latter page requires you to be logged in to
pgFoundry, and is only available for members of the Press project (I've added
dpage).

Thanks for your help, and hopefully this will be *considerably* less panicked
than last year!

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Building Press Pages for Web site

От
"Dave Page"

Excellent.

> If you can put them on the site, but not link them from
> anywhere now, it would
> be lovely.

I'll link them from somewhere but keep them hidden. That way they'll get
sync'ed onto the mirrors.

>  Also, please update the Contacts List
> in /about/press/contacts.html (file below)

OK.

> If possible, I'd prefer it if we didn't go live on the
> changes to the home
> page and linking the press releases until after 5pm PST,
> which should be easy
> for you ...just set it up in the morning your time, or the
> afternoon, Omar
> and Emily's time.   Here's the things I see needing to get
> done on the web
> site the "day of" the release:
>
> 1) Modify the home page to display the 8.0 released callout.
> 2) Link the press releases to /about/press
> 3) Link in the Press FAQ  (should be in CVS already)

OK, I'm thinking these should be done Tuesday for the Wednesday release
yes? That gives everything a chance to hit the mirrors.

> The Contacts list is available at:
> http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/31/contact.html
>
> The amalgamated press lists are available at:
> http://pgfoundry.org/docman/view.php/1000047/30/all_press_pages.tgz
> .... please note that this latter page requires you to be
> logged in to
> pgFoundry, and is only available for members of the Press
> project (I've added
> dpage).
>
> Thanks for your help, and hopefully this will be
> *considerably* less panicked
> than last year!

With any luck :-)

/D

Re: Building Press Pages for Web site

От
Justin Clift
Dave Page wrote:
<snip>
> OK, I'm thinking these should be done Tuesday for the Wednesday release
> yes? That gives everything a chance to hit the mirrors.

Cron job?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--
"One who sees the invisible can do the impossible."
  + Frank Gaines

Re: Building Press Pages for Web site

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Dave,

> I'll link them from somewhere but keep them hidden. That way they'll get
> sync'ed onto the mirrors.

Keen, good idea.

> OK, I'm thinking these should be done Tuesday for the Wednesday release
> yes? That gives everything a chance to hit the mirrors.

Yes, but not until late afternoon USA time.  There are enough people watching
our site that having the 8.0 graphic go up could get us slashdotted before
the release goes out.  This means that probably someone *not* in your time
zone should do it; the ideal time for stuff to go up is about 4am your time
Wednesday.

Or, like Justin suggests, a cron job.

BTW, this is something to think about for www.postgresql.org version 4.0.
Perhaps by then Bricolage will have translation facility, and we can switch
over.   Having the ability to schedule stuff to appear at a specific date and
time would save a lot of tsuris.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Building Press Pages for Web site

От
"Dave Page"

I tend not to trust stuff like that to a cron job. Anyway, the thing to
remember is that theres something like a 5 hour maximum window between
something being committed to CVS and it getting as far as the primary
site, so as long as that is factored in we'll be OK. The release
announcement is actually on the home page already,  but commented out ,
so if someone in the appropriate tz can simply update the the page and
commit it in time... Who can do that?

> BTW, this is something to think about for www.postgresql.org
> version 4.0.

Bwaahahahahahaha! After the fun getting version 3 done, I don't even
want to think about version 4 for at least 18 months.

:-)

/D

Re: Building Press Pages for Web site

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Dave,

OK, Greek, Turkish and Japanese have been updated; the package is in the same
location.   BTW, all of this is also available via CVS from the Press
project.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Building Press Pages for Web site

От
"Dave Page"

Hi Josh - I'll grab those in a minute, but in the meantime I've added
the pages - you can find them at
http://pgweb.pgadmin.org/about/press/presskit80.html.??. They are
committed to CVS, so will hit the main site in a bit. There are some
issues though:

1) el and hu are badly formatted. There are html tags at and around the
page title blocks that need to be removed.

2) el, fr, ja, pl, se and tr are not in utf-8 (as far as my language
ignorant brain can tell). The entire site is dispatched in utf-8, and
changing that is non-trivial. Can these be recoded so that they display
correctly?

3) I needed to add some languages to the website framework, for which I
do not have to proper localised description (eg. en == English, de ==
Deutsch). Can you ask the translators to let me know the correct
description **encoded in ASCII using HTML entity codes where required**
for the following please? br, el, fi, hu, it, pl, ro, ru, se, si.

Thanks, Dave.

Re: Building Press Pages for Web site

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Dave,

> 1) el and hu are badly formatted. There are html tags at and around the
> page title blocks that need to be removed.

OK, will check.

> 2) el, fr, ja, pl, se and tr are not in utf-8 (as far as my language
> ignorant brain can tell). The entire site is dispatched in utf-8, and
> changing that is non-trivial. Can these be recoded so that they display
> correctly?

This is why I brought up the encoding issue last week.    At the time, no one
had an opinion.   I can command-line convert them to UTF8, and we'll see how
they look.

> 3) I needed to add some languages to the website framework, for which I
> do not have to proper localised description (eg. en == English, de ==
> Deutsch). Can you ask the translators to let me know the correct
> description **encoded in ASCII using HTML entity codes where required**
> for the following please? br, el, fi, hu, it, pl, ro, ru, se, si.

Hmmm ... given that I don't understand what **encoded in ASCII using HTML
entity codes where required** means, it's a cinch some of the translators
won't either.   Enlighten me?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Building Press Pages for Web site

От
"Dave Page"

Sorry, I didn't check well enough. From the pr cvs, the following need fixing: de, fi, hu, ja, pl, se, si

> > 2) el, fr, ja, pl, se and tr are not in utf-8 (as far as my language
> > ignorant brain can tell). The entire site is dispatched in
> utf-8, and
> > changing that is non-trivial. Can these be recoded so that
> they display
> > correctly?
>
> This is why I brought up the encoding issue last week.    At
> the time, no one
> had an opinion.   I can command-line convert them to UTF8,
> and we'll see how
> they look.

Sorry, I must have missed that question.

> > 3) I needed to add some languages to the website framework,
> for which I
> > do not have to proper localised description (eg. en ==
> English, de ==
> > Deutsch). Can you ask the translators to let me know the correct
> > description **encoded in ASCII using HTML entity codes
> where required**
> > for the following please? br, el, fi, hu, it, pl, ro, ru, se, si.
>
> Hmmm ... given that I don't understand what **encoded in
> ASCII using HTML
> entity codes where required** means, it's a cinch some of the
> translators
> won't either.   Enlighten me?

HTML entity codes may be used for non-ASCII characters, e.g. Álvaro's name has an accent over the A, so we can code it
inASCII as:

Álvaro Herrera

Thanks, Dave.

Re: Building Press Pages for Web site

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Dave,

Everything else has been fixed, in the new file I uploaded.

However, I've agreed with Tatsuo that it's better to put the Japanese press
release only on postgresql.jp.    It will not be on www.postgresql.org.    So
I will be changing the link in the English version of the press release, and
you shouldn't post the japanese release.

Thanks!

--Josh

--
__Aglio Database Solutions_______________
Josh Berkus               Consultant

Re: Building Press Pages for Web site

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
On Jan 17, 2005, at 15:43, Josh Berkus wrote:

> However, I've agreed with Tatsuo that it's better to put the Japanese
> press
> release only on postgresql.jp.    It will not be on
> www.postgresql.org.    So
> I will be changing the link in the English version of the press
> release, and
> you shouldn't post the japanese release.

I'm curious to know what the reasons are/were for leaving the Japanese
press releases off of the main site. Didn't see it posted to the list.
Would it be possible to see the archives of that discussion?

Thanks!

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

Re: Building Press Pages for Web site

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Michael,

> I'm curious to know what the reasons are/were for leaving the Japanese
> press releases off of the main site. Didn't see it posted to the list.
> Would it be possible to see the archives of that discussion?

We were having issues with encodings, and with page formatting, and JPUG wants
to direct people primarily to postgresql.jp anyway.   For most languages,
it's easier for us to populate the main website, and let the
regions/languages with their own websites grab copies if they want them.
Japanese was turning into a pain, so we just dropped that idea.

Of course, if you want to fix the Japanese page and load it onto wwwmaster,
you're welcome to.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Building Press Pages for Web site

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
On Jan 17, 2005, at 16:04, Josh Berkus wrote:

> We were having issues with encodings, and with page formatting, and
> JPUG wants
> to direct people primarily to postgresql.jp anyway.   For most
> languages,
> it's easier for us to populate the main website, and let the
> regions/languages with their own websites grab copies if they want
> them.
> Japanese was turning into a pain, so we just dropped that idea.
>
> Of course, if you want to fix the Japanese page and load it onto
> wwwmaster,
> you're welcome to.

I'd be happy to give it a shot. I'd like to see www.postgresql.org
handle as much as possible. I can't promise I'd get it done by prior to
the release, especially as someone else will have to commit it (we're
down to hours now, aren't we?), but if I'd like to try. (And even if
it's not a benefit now, at least the groundwork will be in place for
the future.)

Any particular place I can grab the Japanese page and a sample of
another so I can see what the goal is?

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

Re: Building Press Pages for Web site

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Michael,

> Any particular place I can grab the Japanese page and a sample of
> another so I can see what the goal is?

Yeah, got a login on pgFoundry?  And have you considered joining our
Translators mailing list?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Building Press Pages for Web site

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
On Jan 17, 2005, at 16:30, Josh Berkus wrote:

>> Any particular place I can grab the Japanese page and a sample of
>> another so I can see what the goal is?
>
> Yeah, got a login on pgFoundry?  And have you considered joining our
> Translators mailing list?

Indeed I do. Are you referring the PostgreSQL PR project
<http://pgfoundry.org/projects/press/> or something else? Sorry if I
seem a little slow. I haven't been following this thread very closely.

Considered joining the translators list, but I'd be much better going
from Japanese to English rather than vice versa, and I have a feeling
you've got all the English language help you need. (Then again, it
might be nice to raise the international awareness of JPUG, which I
should seriously considering joining. Perhaps summaries from time to
time might be nice.)

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com