Обсуждение: Language Links?

Language Links?

От
Josh Berkus
People:

What was the problem with having the language links on the front page?    I'm
afraid that users who don't have a lot of English aren't necessarily going to
figure out to click "International Sites".

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Language Links?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> What was the problem with having the language links on the front
> page?    I'm afraid that users who don't have a lot of English aren't
> necessarily going to figure out to click "International Sites".

Whatever you do, please do not use "international" as a synonym for "not
English".  There are more appropriate phrasings, such as "site in other
languages".

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Language Links?

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Friday 17 December 2004 12:11, Josh Berkus wrote:
> People:
>
> What was the problem with having the language links on the front page?
> I'm afraid that users who don't have a lot of English aren't necessarily
> going to figure out to click "International Sites".

If we're on the same wavelength, the languague links on the front page were to
see the www site in a different language. Since most of those languages
didn't have translations, we removed them for the final launch.  Once they
get translations we will re-enable them.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Language Links?

От
"Dave Page"

The problem at the moment is that there are a bunch of links to view the
site in other languages, yet the only translation we have is Turkish and
that is seriously out of date. The first thing we need is for someone to
write something to extract all the strings and merge them with the
existing .pot file. The second thing is to implement a policy whereby
only translations of >90% or so get a link.

There also seem to be en, de and es directories under the templates
directory (which also contains some en content). I've been working on
odds and sods all day and trying to figure this out as I go, but I'm
still not sure why it's like that. It seems to me we should have all
English files in the template directory, and no en, de or es directories
at all. Then, all non-English strings come from an appropriate .mo file.

Anyone able to shed some light on this?

Regards, Dave.

Re: Language Links?

От
Alexey Borzov
Дата:
Hi,

Dave Page wrote:
> There also seem to be en, de and es directories under the templates
> directory (which also contains some en content). I've been working on
> odds and sods all day and trying to figure this out as I go, but I'm
> still not sure why it's like that. It seems to me we should have all
> English files in the template directory, and no en, de or es directories
> at all. Then, all non-English strings come from an appropriate .mo file.
>
> Anyone able to shed some light on this?

Well, there is a "readme" file available in portal/ dir in CVS...

In short, static templates are to be translated as a whole and placed in
appropriate dirs, since pages in different languages may have different layouts
and since it makes little sense to have a large amount of HTML in gettext files.

Re: Language Links?

От
"Dave Page"

Ahh, yes. Despite reading the readme a couple of times I managed to miss
the key para on func_lang. Thanks.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Language Links?

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:

Re: Language Links?

От
"Dave Page"

OK - you realise that's only part of the task? You also need to copy and
translate the template/en/ hierarchy to template/tr

> but today gborg CVS did not like my password, so I could not
> commit it.

Oh. Not sure about that (you are setup as a developer on the project) -
you'll need to speak to Chris Ryan if you have continuing problems.

> Anyway, maybe I can extract all the strings on Sunday.

Do you have a script for this now? Istr Alexey saying you were looking
at that - is so, can you commit it to the tools directory when you get
access (or send it to me and I'll do it).

Thanks, Dave.

Re: Language Links?

От
Devrim GUNDUZ