Обсуждение: Re: [GENERAL] FTP mirror problems

Re: [GENERAL] FTP mirror problems

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> A bad link in the ftp source directory inspired me to check
> the rest of it out:
>
> * Main README file needs updating. The URL is given as:
>
> http:/www.postgreSQL.org
>
> but should be:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/

Huh?  Just checked, the file hasn't been modified since Nov 15th, 2001,
and the URL looks fine to me:

svr1# grep http README
         http://www.postgreSQL.org
svr1#

> * README.cvsup is very old, possibly incorrect

have you tested this?  I last updated on Nov 3rd of this year, to reflect
the reverting of the repository to overall state ... so if its incorrect,
nobody has told me so ...

> * README.dist-split might want to mention the new "bz" and "md5" files.

If you would like to submit a re-write, I'll put it into place ... I think
mentioning the bz files seperately would just bulk up the file ... ppl
would see the .bz when they go to the directory itself ...

> * We are keeping some very old versions around: 1.08, 1.09, the entire 6
> series. Is there any reason for this? For that matter, is there any reason
> to keep around lesser versions in a tree, especially ones that were replaced
> due to security bugs? Perhaps only keep the latest few versions and put a
> note in the readme to point to "archives.postgresql.org" or something?
>
> At the very least, a warning that some of the versions on the site have
> serious security flaws would be warranted.

Historical, but we could easily create a source/OLD directory to move them
into, so they are less prominent?

> * /dev/interfaces seems to have only an old version of libpqxx
>
> * /dev/contrib only contains earthdistance - why?

removed both contrib and interfaces ... libpqxx is on gborg now, and
earthdistances is back in the regular dev packages anyway ..

> * /projects/gborg has some very old versions of some of the projects
> therein. Is there a process to update these?

they are auto-updated from the gborg site, so that will have to be taken
up with Chris ...

> * The directory symlinked from /win32 should have a README. Perhaps
> even a top-level README.WIN32 in anticipation of a lot of Windows users.

Please feel free to submit one for inclusion (or anyone else, for that
matter ... I'm only picking you out since you are pointing them out
*grin*) ...

> * The /src directory is missing 7.2.6 and 7.3.6

fixed ...

> * /src/7.3.5 points to the wrong place (missing a "v")

fixed, and confirmed the rest were all link'd to the 'v' version ...

> * /source/7.2.5/v7.2.5 is a bogus link

fixed ...

----

Re: [GENERAL] FTP mirror problems

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 13:21, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> > * We are keeping some very old versions around: 1.08, 1.09, the entire 6
> > series. Is there any reason for this? For that matter, is there any reason
> > to keep around lesser versions in a tree, especially ones that were replaced
> > due to security bugs? Perhaps only keep the latest few versions and put a
> > note in the readme to point to "archives.postgresql.org" or something?
> >
> > At the very least, a warning that some of the versions on the site have
> > serious security flaws would be warranted.
>
> Historical, but we could easily create a source/OLD directory to move them
> into, so they are less prominent?

IMHO they should be left as is. I've certainly had to make use of older
versions of the software in the past, and would not presume to know when
others won't want them in the future.  We keep a link to "latest" in the
main directory, and I'm willing to believe most people are capable of
figuring out which is the latest 7.3.x branch on their own (at least
until I see evidence to the contrary).

Robert Treat

Re: [GENERAL] FTP mirror problems

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

Re: [GENERAL] FTP mirror problems

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

Re: [GENERAL] FTP mirror problems

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

>> IMHO they should be left as is. I've certainly had to make use of older
>> versions of the software in the past,
>
> Yeah, but version 6? Or 1.08?!? :)

Actually, we had to do data recovery for a client using 6.x this past year
*shrug*

----