Обсуждение: Why is Gborg still listed?

Why is Gborg still listed?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Hello,

It was my understanding that Gborg is deprecated and that we are trying to
get people to move to the new infrastructure, specifically
Gforge/projects.postresql.org?

It seems that even more people are using Gborg now. I see:

PgOleDB
pl/Java
Slony
npgsql

All being fairly active projects on Gborg. Does it not stand to reason
to aggressively
pursue getting these projects to use the projects.postgresql.org site?

It may also help to stop advertising Gborg on the PostgreSQL.Org site
and start referencing
projects.postgresql.org instead.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Why is Gborg still listed?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Sat, 30 Oct 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It was my understanding that Gborg is deprecated and that we are trying to
> get people to move to the new infrastructure, specifically
> Gforge/projects.postresql.org?
>
> It seems that even more people are using Gborg now. I see:
>
> PgOleDB
> pl/Java
> Slony
> npgsql

these were all before we had PgFoundry in place ... there are procedures
being worked on to move projects over with minimal loss of data (ie.
database conversion routines from gborg schema -> pgfoundry schema), but
they haven't been finalized yet ...

----

Re: Why is Gborg still listed?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"

>> PgOleDB
>> pl/Java
>> Slony
>> npgsql
>

> these were all before we had PgFoundry in place ... there are
> procedures being worked on to move projects over with minimal loss of
> data (ie. database conversion routines from gborg schema -> pgfoundry
> schema), but they haven't been finalized yet ...

O.k., maybe I am just dense but the plan IMHO should be:

   You have 60 days to move your stuff.
   After 60 days, Gborg will become read only.
   After 90 days, the Gborg domain will automatically redirect to
projects.postgresql.org

I bet people move there stuff then.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> ----
> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services
> (http://www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ:
> 7615664

Re: Why is Gborg still listed?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Sat, 30 Oct 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>>> PgOleDB
>>> pl/Java
>>> Slony
>>> npgsql
>>

>> these were all before we had PgFoundry in place ... there are procedures
>> being worked on to move projects over with minimal loss of data (ie.
>> database conversion routines from gborg schema -> pgfoundry schema), but
>> they haven't been finalized yet ...
>
> O.k., maybe I am just dense but the plan IMHO should be:
>
>  You have 60 days to move your stuff.
>  After 60 days, Gborg will become read only.
>  After 90 days, the Gborg domain will automatically redirect to
> projects.postgresql.org
>
> I bet people move there stuff then.

Its not the project admin's that is at issue ... if you would like to
become one of the PgFoundry admin, please talk to Josh Berkus about it,
but right now, its on the 'PgFoundry' side that the bottleneck is ...
unless, of course, you are advocating scrapping/deleting off the trouble
tickets and such on the gborg project side, and having each project start
from scratch?

Not 100% certain what your problem is though ... ppl are visiting both
sites, and finding what they are looking for ... is there a specific
reason you feel that there is a panic to move ppl from GBorg -> PgFoundry?

----

Re: Why is Gborg still listed?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"

> Its not the project admin's that is at issue ... if you would like to
> become one of the PgFoundry admin, please talk to Josh Berkus about
> it, but right now, its on the 'PgFoundry' side that the bottleneck is
> ... unless, of course, you are advocating scrapping/deleting off the
> trouble tickets and such on the gborg project side, and having each
> project start from scratch?

Of course not :) That was the point of the Read only access. No loss of
data, but requires movement to the new projects.postgresql.org.
You could even have a a projects.postgresql.org/old that brings up the
old gborg site if you want.

> Not 100% certain what your problem is though ... ppl are visiting both
> sites, and finding what they are looking for ... is there a specific
> reason you feel that there is a panic to move ppl from GBorg ->
> PgFoundry?

Well my problem is:

 1. Lack of consistency.
 2. Large amounts of traffic being pushed to the "old" site via multiple
places on the www site.
 3. The slow migration :).

I am not blaming anyone, just trying to get things moving.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> ----
> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services
> (http://www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ:
> 7615664

Re: Why is Gborg still listed?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Sat, 30 Oct 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> Its not the project admin's that is at issue ... if you would like to
>> become one of the PgFoundry admin, please talk to Josh Berkus about it, but
>> right now, its on the 'PgFoundry' side that the bottleneck is ... unless,
>> of course, you are advocating scrapping/deleting off the trouble tickets
>> and such on the gborg project side, and having each project start from
>> scratch?
>>
> Of course not :) That was the point of the Read only access. No loss of data,
> but requires movement to the new projects.postgresql.org.
> You could even have a a projects.postgresql.org/old that brings up the old
> gborg site if you want.
>
>> Not 100% certain what your problem is though ... ppl are visiting both
>> sites, and finding what they are looking for ... is there a specific reason
>> you feel that there is a panic to move ppl from GBorg -> PgFoundry?
>

> Well my problem is:
>
> 1. Lack of consistency.
> 2. Large amounts of traffic being pushed to the "old" site via multiple
> places on the www site.
> 3. The slow migration :).
>
> I am not blaming anyone, just trying to get things moving.

Do you have the time that you can allocate to helping with the migration
stuff?  It isn't lack of desire to move things that is holding things up,
its finding the time to scheduale/do it :)

----

Re: Why is Gborg still listed?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"

>> Well my problem is:
>>
>> 1. Lack of consistency.
>> 2. Large amounts of traffic being pushed to the "old" site via
>> multiple places on the www site.
>> 3. The slow migration :).
>>
>> I am not blaming anyone, just trying to get things moving.
>

> Do you have the time that you can allocate to helping with the
> migration stuff?  It isn't lack of desire to move things that is
> holding things up, its finding the time to scheduale/do it :)

That depends, what is involved? I don't have 40 hours but I can
definately spare several hours at night and on the weekends to help this
along.