Обсуждение: Forum.postgresql.org

Forum.postgresql.org

От
"John Hansen"
Дата:
The forum is now functional for testing.

http://forum.postgresql.org/

Input appreciated.

... John

Re: Forum.postgresql.org

От
"Dave Page"

Hmm, somethings not right with the threading. I see multiple copies of
some messages, in the wrong order under
http://forum.postgresql.org/index.php/t/4686/0/b7656cccda1983043b9833638
2752e10/

The email addresses need obsfucating as well if you can (and some have
links like:

mailto:{(!empty(scrappy) ? scrappy : '')}

On the plus side, looks pretty good, and is nice and fast :-)

Regards, Dave.

Re: Forum.postgresql.org

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 08:50, John Hansen wrote:
> The forum is now functional for testing.
>
> http://forum.postgresql.org/
>
> Input appreciated.

Let me first say this looks pretty cool, and thanks for your efforts on
this John.

Ok, now for the grilling ;-)

Is it supposed to be read only? I went to post a reply but was told I
have to register, then went to try and register and registration was
disabled, so I'm not sure what your plan is for that, but I am thinking
the first patch should be that when an Administrator disables
registration the register buttons don't come up. Possibly patch #2
should be that, if you want it to be read only, the post reply buttons
could be turned off.  I was also curious how often the messages are
updated (they seemed pretty up to date) and how far back they go. Last
thing of note, we probably want to make a more formal banner on the top
and use the same css as the main site (better might be to just uses the
alexy/beta site's theme)

Robert Treat

Re: Forum.postgresql.org

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
On Fri, 8 Oct 2004, John Hansen wrote:

> The forum is now functional for testing.
>
> http://forum.postgresql.org/
>
> Input appreciated.

last-modified header would be nice to have !

> ... John

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: Forum.postgresql.org

От
Mitch Pirtle
Дата:
On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 22:50:53 +1000, John Hansen <john@geeknet.com.au> wrote:
> The forum is now functional for testing.
>
> http://forum.postgresql.org/
>
> Input appreciated.

Wow, that is nice.  One thing though - are the charactersets getting mangled?

Take a look at message #11511, "[pgsql-benchmarks] Largest DATABASE".
Not sure if that is from the email gateway or import from archive...

Love the syndication feature.  Man, that "Anonymous" sure is a busy poster ;-)

-- Mitch

Re: Forum.postgresql.org

От
"John Hansen"
Дата:
> Wow, that is nice.  One thing though - are the charactersets
> getting mangled?
>
> Take a look at message #11511, "[pgsql-benchmarks] Largest DATABASE".
> Not sure if that is from the email gateway or import from archive...

Looks like a bug in the news->forum importer, as it looks fine on my
local nntp server.

> Love the syndication feature.  Man, that "Anonymous" sure is
> a busy poster ;-)

Yea, unfortunately, when importing the messages, they get marked as
anonymous, unless you select to create accounts for all users, which I
did not since it would send email with account details to everyone who
has ever posted to the newsgroups.

... John

Re: Forum.postgresql.org

От
"John Hansen"
Дата:
> Hmm, somethings not right with the threading. I see multiple
> copies of some messages, in the wrong order under
> http://forum.postgresql.org/index.php/t/4686/0/b7656cccda19830
> 43b9833638
> 2752e10/

Seems like another bug in the nntp->forum gateway.

> The email addresses need obsfucating as well if you can (and
> some have links like:
> mailto:{(!empty(scrappy) ? scrappy : '')}

Where did you see that?

.. John

Re: Forum.postgresql.org

От
"John Hansen"
Дата:
> Let me first say this looks pretty cool, and thanks for your
> efforts on this John.
>
> Ok, now for the grilling ;-)
>
> Is it supposed to be read only? I went to post a reply but
> was told I have to register, then went to try and register
> and registration was disabled, so I'm not sure what your plan
> is for that, but I am thinking the first patch should be that
> when an Administrator disables registration the register
> buttons don't come up.

No, the idea is to have it fully integrated with the mailing lists.
This will require a bit of work however, since it would have to be
set up, so that only subscribers to the list would be able to post
to a forum. It's not trivial, but not that difficult either.

> Possibly patch #2 should be that, if
> you want it to be read only, the post reply buttons could be
> turned off.

Yea, I'd have to agree with that, however this is not the goal, and as
such, I feel my time is better spent on getting it fully functional.

I have emailed the author your suggestions for disabling the register
button, and the post reply button.

> I was also curious how often the messages are
> updated (they seemed pretty up to date) and how far back they
> go.

There is a delay, but it is minimal.
Currently, I receive them thru subscription to each list, so the delay
is
equal to the time it takes an email to get to my servers.

Once fully integrated, they will go as far back as the archives.

> Last thing of note, we probably want to make a more
> formal banner on the top and use the same css as the main
> site (better might be to just uses the alexy/beta site's theme)

What banner?

Adjusting it to match the beta scheme should be trivial, I'll have a
look at that.

... John

Re: Forum.postgresql.org

От
"John Hansen"

> last-modified header would be nice to have !

Didn't even think to check if it had one,....
I'll certainly want that added...

Thanks,

.. John

Re: Forum.postgresql.org

От
elein
Дата:
It would be nice to have a readable link to a particular thread.
The current message archives have something that is useable,
but the link to a thread on this system is quite unreadable.

Tom, I and many other people often refer to old threads for
additional information.  It would help our knowledge base
immensely if that were easy to do.

--elein

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 10:50:53PM +1000, John Hansen wrote:
> The forum is now functional for testing.
>
> http://forum.postgresql.org/
>
> Input appreciated.
>
> ... John

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Forum.postgresql.org

От
"John Hansen"
Дата:
> It would be nice to have a readable link to a particular thread.
> The current message archives have something that is useable,
> but the link to a thread on this system is quite unreadable.
>
> Tom, I and many other people often refer to old threads for
> additional information.  It would help our knowledge base
> immensely if that were easy to do.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean....

Could you point to some examples?

... John

Re: Forum.postgresql.org

От
elein
Дата:
This is the link to a specific thread in pgsql-general from the forum is:

http://forum.postgresql.org/index.php/t/6572/0/6444bc090247b11dbe080878c258a4fb/

a more readable link might be something like the old archive style:

  http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-10/msg0004_1.php

or better yet, simpler than that.

--elein

On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 12:59:38PM +1000, John Hansen wrote:
> > It would be nice to have a readable link to a particular thread.
> > The current message archives have something that is useable,
> > but the link to a thread on this system is quite unreadable.
> >
> > Tom, I and many other people often refer to old threads for
> > additional information.  It would help our knowledge base
> > immensely if that were easy to do.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you mean....
>
> Could you point to some examples?
>
> ... John

Re: Forum.postgresql.org

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Sat, 9 Oct 2004, elein wrote:

> It would be nice to have a readable link to a particular thread.
> The current message archives have something that is useable,
> but the link to a thread on this system is quite unreadable.
>
> Tom, I and many other people often refer to old threads for
> additional information.  It would help our knowledge base
> immensely if that were easy to do.

Note that we aren't getting rid of archives, only providing "yet another
method" for ppl to participate in the community ... email, web-based
forums and newsgroups that are all "bi-directionally" gated ...

> --elein
>
> On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 10:50:53PM +1000, John Hansen wrote:
>> The forum is now functional for testing.
>>
>> http://forum.postgresql.org/
>>
>> Input appreciated.
>>
>> ... John

----

Re: Forum.postgresql.org

От
elein
Дата:
And now the URL has a connection refused message.
Is it up for testing or broken?