Обсуждение: Re-installing Zope on the server

Re-installing Zope on the server

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Hi all,

Pablo has taken a look at the Zope instance on the server, and reckon's
it's best if we reinstall Zope on it.

He'll make sure we don't lose any data too.

Is that ok with everyone?

Btw - He's new to FreeBSD, so we might have to give him pointers for things.

Actually, I wonder if it's easy for Marc to setup a duplicate VM for him
to practise in first?  :)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Re: Re-installing Zope on the server

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Justin Clift wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Pablo has taken a look at the Zope instance on the server, and reckon's it's
> best if we reinstall Zope on it.
>
> He'll make sure we don't lose any data too.
>
> Is that ok with everyone?
>
> Btw - He's new to FreeBSD, so we might have to give him pointers for things.
>
> Actually, I wonder if it's easy for Marc to setup a duplicate VM for him to
> practise in first?  :)

Assuming that yolu aren't giving him root, and he's starting from scratch
... why?

----

Re: Re-installing Zope on the server

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
<snip>
>> Actually, I wonder if it's easy for Marc to setup a duplicate VM for
>> him to practise in first?  :)
>
> Assuming that yolu aren't giving him root, and he's starting from
> scratch ... why?

I'm actually concerned in that I think I may have to give him root in
order to install stuff (not sure), and giving root to an inexperienced
FreeBSD user on a "production" server isn't always that bright an idea.

;)

+ Justin

> ----
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

Re: Re-installing Zope on the server

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Hello,

New to the list but it is my experience that Zope takes quite a bit of
resources. Is there any reason why we are using it?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Justin Clift wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> <snip>
>
>>> Actually, I wonder if it's easy for Marc to setup a duplicate VM for
>>> him to practise in first?  :)
>>

>> Assuming that yolu aren't giving him root, and he's starting from
>> scratch ... why?
>

> I'm actually concerned in that I think I may have to give him root in
> order to install stuff (not sure), and giving root to an inexperienced
> FreeBSD user on a "production" server isn't always that bright an idea.
>
> ;)
>
> + Justin
>
>> ----
>> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services
>> (http://www.hub.org)
>> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ:
>> 7615664

>      subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your

Re: Re-installing Zope on the server

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> New to the list but it is my experience that Zope takes quite a bit of
> resources. Is there any reason why we are using it?

Yep, it's a legacy system that we'd like to move off of, but we don't
have time to do that yet.

At present there are some bits of it that are broken, so this
re-installation is a "quick fix" move to unbreak things.

:)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake

Re: Re-installing Zope on the server

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Justin Clift wrote:

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> New to the list but it is my experience that Zope takes quite a bit
>> of resources. Is there any reason why we are using it?
>

> Yep, it's a legacy system that we'd like to move off of, but we don't
> have time to do that yet.
>
> At present there are some bits of it that are broken, so this
> re-installation is a "quick fix" move to unbreak things.

Aha!.. Yeah we use Plone2 here at CMD for a small Intranet, but only
becuase we couldn't find anything better at the time.
I would like to see what happens with FrameWerk.

> :)
>
> Regards and best wishes,
>
> Justin Clift
>

>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Joshua D. Drake

Re: Re-installing Zope on the server

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Justin Clift wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> <snip>
>>> Actually, I wonder if it's easy for Marc to setup a duplicate VM for him
>>> to practise in first?  :)
>>
>> Assuming that yolu aren't giving him root, and he's starting from scratch
>> ... why?
>
> I'm actually concerned in that I think I may have to give him root in order
> to install stuff (not sure), and giving root to an inexperienced FreeBSD user
> on a "production" server isn't always that bright an idea.

Anything he would need to install, that would require root, ask me first
... if I can put it on the template, all that much better ...

----

Re: Re-installing Zope on the server

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
its no worse then running Tomcat, at least as far as memory foot print is
concerned ... in fact, it uses up about 1/3 of the resources, from what I
can tell ...

----

Re: Re-installing Zope on the server

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> its no worse then running Tomcat, at least as far as memory foot print
> is concerned ... in fact, it uses up about 1/3 of the resources, from
> what I can tell ...

I find that the Zopedb deal is abysmal. Tomcat at least, you can connect
to a real database. :)

> On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> New to the list but it is my experience that Zope takes quite a bit
>> of resources. Is there any reason why we are using it?
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Joshua D. Drake
>>
>> Justin Clift wrote:
>>
>>> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>> <snip>

>>> I'm actually concerned in that I think I may have to give him root
>>> in order to install stuff (not sure), and giving root to an
>>> inexperienced FreeBSD user on a "production" server isn't always
>>> that bright an idea.
>>>
>>> ;)
>>>
>>> + Justin

>> --
>> Command Prompt, Inc., home of Mammoth PostgreSQL - S/ODBC and S/JDBC
>> Postgresql support, programming shared hosting and dedicated hosting.
>> +1-503-667-4564 - jd@commandprompt.com - http://www.commandprompt.com
>> PostgreSQL Replicator -- production quality replication for PostgreSQL
>>

> ----
> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services
> (http://www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ:
> 7615664

Re: Re-installing Zope on the server

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>

>> its no worse then running Tomcat, at least as far as memory foot print is
>> concerned ... in fact, it uses up about 1/3 of the resources, from what I
>> can tell ...
>

> I find that the Zopedb deal is abysmal. Tomcat at least, you can connect to a
> real database. :)

I'm not sure how that whole thing works ... I know that for those clients
that I have using it, they are connecting to a database backend, but does
that somehow "tunnel" through the Data.fs file?