Обсуждение: Candidate new site design

Candidate new site design

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
Hi all,

I received an email to the webmaster address the other day with an offer
to redesign the main site for us (free of charge of course). My reply
went along the lines of 'send us an example and we'll consider it with
the rest'. Anyway, Lukasz has indeed produced a mock-up at the url below
for our consideration. Dunno about the rest of you, but I quite like
this one.

Regards, Dave

Re: Candidate new site design

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Dave Page wrote:

> I received an email to the webmaster address the other day with an offer
> to redesign the main site for us (free of charge of course). My reply
> went along the lines of 'send us an example and we'll consider it with
> the rest'. Anyway, Lukasz has indeed produced a mock-up at the url below
> for our consideration. Dunno about the rest of you, but I quite like
> this one.

When I saw the design, I said "That's it!"

--
Devrim GUNDUZ
devrim~gunduz.org                devrim.gunduz~linux.org.tr

Re: Candidate new site design

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
Thanks, Lukasz, for taking the time to put together a mock-up. (And
thanks, Dave, for forwarding it to the list :)

On Aug 25, 2004, at 9:08 PM, Dave Page wrote:
>> http://no1-else.com/postgre.jpg
>>
>> Take a look, if You could. I would greatfull for any opinion,
>> sugestions/whatever ;-)). So... at this moment I wait for Your answer.
>> Feel free to mail, if You have any ideas.

I think the look is very professional and stylish overall.
The standards geek in me is wondering how the code is built. If it's
not already, i'd like to see how much of it could be built using xhtml
and css.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

Re: Candidate new site design

От
"Dave Page"

Obviously however it's done, any new design will have to work with our
new framework as well (not that that /should/ cause any real problems).

/D

Re: Candidate new site design

От
"John Hansen"
Дата:
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

That bloody awesome, pardon my french.

... John

Justin Clift
Dave Page wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I received an email to the webmaster address the other day with an offer
> to redesign the main site for us (free of charge of course). My reply
> went along the lines of 'send us an example and we'll consider it with
> the rest'. Anyway, Lukasz has indeed produced a mock-up at the url below
> for our consideration. Dunno about the rest of you, but I quite like
> this one.

Wow, that's awesome!

Lukasz, are you able to do multi-lingual stuff as well?  For example, a
replacement website for advocacy.postgresql.org.  :)

Out of curiosity Lukasz, is your motivation for this long term (you will
help us on an on-going basis) or short term (the site design only)?
Please don't mis-understand me, I'm not critising at all.  I'm actually
very impressed.  I'm just wanting to understand how people here will
need to be arranged for things.  :)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Regards, Dave

Re: Candidate new site design

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
Nice, except the banner ads are missing and are required ...

----

Re: Candidate new site design

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Hi all,

Was just looking at the main page, and the thought popped up that there
are a real lot of events being displayed now.  Perhaps they deserve
their own Events page now?  It'd let us show things in multiple ways
too, maybe with a pretty looking calender thing and all?  :)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Justin Clift wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I received an email to the webmaster address the other day with an offer
>> to redesign the main site for us (free of charge of course). My reply
>> went along the lines of 'send us an example and we'll consider it with
>> the rest'. Anyway, Lukasz has indeed produced a mock-up at the url below
>> for our consideration. Dunno about the rest of you, but I quite like
>> this one.
<snip>
>> Regards, Dave

Re: Candidate new site design

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Nice, except the banner ads are missing and are required ...

Is there no possible alternative to having the banner ads?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Re: Candidate new site design

От
Robert Treat
On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 08:19, Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

Yeah, it will also need to fit in with new site architecture (folding in
developer and advocacy bits to the main site) but it certainly deserves
kudos for style.

Robert Treat

Re: Candidate new site design

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Justin Clift wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>

>> Nice, except the banner ads are missing and are required ...
>
> Is there no possible alternative to having the banner ads?

No ... Over the past month, I've had a couple of ppl actually sign up for
a full year in advance, and am getting more and more inquiries ...

If you want to change the placement, instead of top left/right, so that
they are still visible, that works ... but they are required.

----

Re: Candidate new site design

От
"Dave Page"

I'm sure we could work them into the design. What about merging the
project ones (of which there are very few iirc) into the main rotation
so we only display one ad per page (perhaps at the bottom of the right
bar on the candidate design for example)?

Regards, Dave.

Re: Candidate new site design

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
I think the plan is actually to split events and training into two
separate pieces. Take a look at php.net to see how they did it.

Robert Treat

On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 09:53, Justin Clift wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Was just looking at the main page, and the thought popped up that there
> are a real lot of events being displayed now.  Perhaps they deserve
> their own Events page now?  It'd let us show things in multiple ways
> too, maybe with a pretty looking calender thing and all?  :)
>
> Regards and best wishes,
>
> Justin Clift
>

> Justin Clift wrote:
> > Dave Page wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I received an email to the webmaster address the other day with an offer
> >> to redesign the main site for us (free of charge of course). My reply
> >> went along the lines of 'send us an example and we'll consider it with
> >> the rest'. Anyway, Lukasz has indeed produced a mock-up at the url below
> >> for our consideration. Dunno about the rest of you, but I quite like
> >> this one.
> <snip>
> >> Regards, Dave

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Candidate new site design

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Dave Page wrote:

> I'm sure we could work them into the design. What about merging the
> project ones (of which there are very few iirc) into the main rotation
> so we only display one ad per page (perhaps at the bottom of the right
> bar on the candidate design for example)?

I have no problems with merging them both into one ... but, bottom
wouldn't be as effective ... how about under the black bar, on the right?
Just above the 'What Is?'  Something similar to how it is at:

http://www.php.net/

----

Re: Candidate new site design

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
<snip>
> I have no problems with merging them both into one ... but, bottom
> wouldn't be as effective ... how about under the black bar, on the
> right? Just above the 'What Is?'  Something similar to how it is at:
>
> http://www.php.net/

Hmmm, maybe we should ask Lukasz, the new designer what he reckons the
best way to display the banner ads is too?  :)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> ----
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

Re: Candidate new site design

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Justin, Marc,

> Is there no possible alternative to having the banner ads?

I *do* actually have a plan to phase out the banner ads.    However, it
requires us to get the Foundation certified and start fund-raising; for now,
we kinda need them.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Candidate new site design

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Guys,

> > I have no problems with merging them both into one ... but, bottom
> > wouldn't be as effective ... how about under the black bar, on the
> > right? Just above the 'What Is?'  Something similar to how it is at:

Look, one of the ads was a freebee for other OSS projects, right?  Surely we
can drop that one.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Candidate new site design

От
"Gavin M. Roy"
Дата:
I have no problem dropping the 800 Pound Gorilla mirror banner ad and
think we should come up with a way to attribute mirror hosts on the
mirror page instead of in banner ads.

Also I like the design, but think we should use the standard logo text
color and font, I can provide the .ai file if the designer needs it.
Also the glossy logo is good, but might be too much, can we see what the
normal logo looks like?

Gavin

Josh Berkus wrote:

>Guys,
>

>>>I have no problems with merging them both into one ... but, bottom
>>>wouldn't be as effective ... how about under the black bar, on the
>>>right? Just above the 'What Is?'  Something similar to how it is at:
>>>

>Look, one of the ads was a freebee for other OSS projects, right?  Surely we
>can drop that one.

Re: Candidate new site design

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Robert,

> I think the plan is actually to split events and training into two
> separate pieces. Take a look at php.net to see how they did it.

If you're splitting, can we please split news into "Project News" and "Product
Announcements"?  Betas, etc, are starting to get buried by projects and
commercial software that uses PG.

I think it's important to the submitters ... and to the community ... that
annoucements make it on the home page, even if only for a couple of days.
For the submitter, this gives a chance for 50,000 people to see the
announcement, and for the community it gives them an incentive to check the
home page every day.

Someday we should also augment the "Submit Event/News" scripts so that they
automatically post to pgsql-announce; it would save some effort.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Candidate new site design

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Guys,
>
>>> I have no problems with merging them both into one ... but, bottom
>>> wouldn't be as effective ... how about under the black bar, on the
>>> right? Just above the 'What Is?'  Something similar to how it is at:
>
> Look, one of the ads was a freebee for other OSS projects, right?  Surely we
> can drop that one.

We can drop totally, or merge it into the other one as a lower priority
banner ... I'm fine either way ...

----

Re: Candidate new site design

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> No ... Over the past month, I've had a couple of ppl actually sign up
> for a full year in advance, and am getting more and more inquiries

How does this work?  Entity A (you) makes contracts that require that
entity B (postgresql.org web site) performs certain actions.  That
sounds pretty backwards.  What if someone else comes along that makes
contracts that the site has to be green?  Who decides these things?
What happens with the money?

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Candidate new site design

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> I have no problems with merging them both into one ... but, bottom
> wouldn't be as effective ... how about under the black bar, on the
> right? Just above the 'What Is?'  Something similar to how it is at:
>
> http://www.php.net/

I'm thinking like slashdot.  Put them in a separate area above the top.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Candidate new site design

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> No ... Over the past month, I've had a couple of ppl actually sign up
>> for a full year in advance, and am getting more and more inquiries
>
> How does this work?  Entity A (you) makes contracts that require that
> entity B (postgresql.org web site) performs certain actions.  That
> sounds pretty backwards.  What if someone else comes along that makes
> contracts that the site has to be green?  Who decides these things?
> What happens with the money?

50% will be sent to the Advocacy Foundation ... the rest goes towards
bandwidth and server costs ...

----

Re: Candidate new site design

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> I have no problems with merging them both into one ... but, bottom
>> wouldn't be as effective ... how about under the black bar, on the
>> right? Just above the 'What Is?'  Something similar to how it is at:
>>
>> http://www.php.net/
>
> I'm thinking like slashdot.  Put them in a separate area above the top.

That works too ... I just always hated the 'full banners' like that ...

----

Re: Candidate new site design

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 15:29, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > No ... Over the past month, I've had a couple of ppl actually sign up
> > for a full year in advance, and am getting more and more inquiries
>
> How does this work?  Entity A (you) makes contracts that require that
> entity B (postgresql.org web site) performs certain actions.  That
> sounds pretty backwards.  What if someone else comes along that makes
> contracts that the site has to be green?  Who decides these things?
> What happens with the money?

Not that I want to defend the banner ads but this was all discussed long
ago and agreed to (more or less) by a number of people. Check the list
archives, if they don't have anything I am sure someone could send you
some specific emails.

Oh, the money currently goes into an account maintained by hub.org, with
the intention to have the money go to the foundation once the ducks are
in a little nicer row.

Robert Treat

Re: Candidate new site design

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
<snip>
> Someday we should also augment the "Submit Event/News" scripts so that they
> automatically post to pgsql-announce; it would save some effort.

Hmmmm, that'll require adding a check to the News and Event editing
code, so that it recognises the first time a news or event item goes
from the "not active" to "active" state.

We'll probably just need a boolean field added to the news items
database records, and the same for events.  Then the:

http://www.postgresql.org/admin/edit_news.php

script updated to check that boolean for the first time it changes.

The only potential problem point I can see is that the text is often
customised with HTML tags to display properly in users browsers.
However, that's not going to be so optimal for text-only mail outs.

Trying to think of a more workable approach:

  + Perhaps stripping/processing all HTML tags and mailing out the result?
    (sounds difficult/messy)
  + Perhaps having another textarea field in the edit_news.php page for
text only, and that gets mailed out to the pgsql-announce mailing list.
  It'd automatically contain the same initial text as the body of the
news item, but the person looking it over would make sure it was
suitable for text mailout.
  + If we want to get fancy, we could have a "Test Email" button that
sends the email out to a (user defined) email address for the person
looking things over to verify that the email to be sent will look ok,
prior to doing it for real.

Hope that's helpful.

:)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Re: Candidate new site design

От
"Dave Page"

Yes - I'm not sure how we can best do that however, given that we only
distribute static html to the mirrors.

> Also I like the design, but think we should use the standard
> logo text color and font, I can provide the .ai file if the
> designer needs it.

Thanks.

> Also the glossy logo is good, but might be too much, can we
> see what the normal logo looks like?

I quite like shiny Slonik :-)

Regards, Dave.

Re: Candidate new site design

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Guys,

> > I have no problem dropping the 800 Pound Gorilla mirror
> > banner ad and think we should come up with a way to attribute
> > mirror hosts on the mirror page instead of in banner ads.
>
> Yes - I'm not sure how we can best do that however, given that we only
> distribute static html to the mirrors.

Just so you know, my personal "long-term" plan is to "replace" the banner ads
with Donor Listings for the Foundation.   Once we can seriously fundraise for
the Foundation, we can then put mirror maintainers in the Donor Listings,
next to Red Hat and Fujitsu; I'm sure that would be acceptable.    And I hope
to be raising enough cash that the $100/month from the paid ads is
superfluous.

However, the Foundation doesn't even have its paperwork yet, so it'll be a
bit.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions