Обсуждение: Fwd: Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL Users' Group sites now available

Fwd: Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL Users' Group sites now available

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Guys,

Jean-Paul wants a link on the main PUG page to the PostgreSQL French Community
web site.   Is there any reason not to?

-Josh

Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL Users' Group sites now available
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 10:37:57 +0200
From: Jean-Paul ARGUDO <jean-paul@argudo.org>
To: josh@postgresql.org

> but we are ready to have others!

Could you please add a link there to the french community of PostgreSQL in
France? We setted up a web site too, with a drupal system

at http://www.postgresqlfr.org

> If you have a local group that meets and discusses PostgreSQL, we would be
> happy to give you your own page to make announcements and coordinate.
> Contact josh@postgresql.org.

That is a community of PG users, we dont' meet and discusses physicaly yet,
 may be one day, we're on irc: irc.freenode.net #postgresqlfr...

Is that a problem??

thanks!

--
Jean-Paul ARGUDO

 Site perso : http://www.argudo.org
 PostgreSQL : http://www.postgresqlfr.org
 l'APRIL    : http://www.april.org

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Fwd: Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL Users' Group sites

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
I think PUG implies physical meetings and such, and I don't think the
french community site falls into that category... we do have a link to
it from the main www page though.

Robert Treat

On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 12:46, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Guys,
>
> Jean-Paul wants a link on the main PUG page to the PostgreSQL French Community
> web site.   Is there any reason not to?
>
> -Josh

> Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL Users' Group sites now available
> Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 10:37:57 +0200
> From: Jean-Paul ARGUDO <jean-paul@argudo.org>
> To: josh@postgresql.org
>
> > but we are ready to have others!
>
> Could you please add a link there to the french community of PostgreSQL in
> France? We setted up a web site too, with a drupal system
>
> at http://www.postgresqlfr.org
>
> > If you have a local group that meets and discusses PostgreSQL, we would be
> > happy to give you your own page to make announcements and coordinate.
> > Contact josh@postgresql.org.
>
> That is a community of PG users, we dont' meet and discusses physicaly yet,
>  may be one day, we're on irc: irc.freenode.net #postgresqlfr...
>
> Is that a problem??
>
> thanks!
>

> --
> Jean-Paul ARGUDO
>
>  Site perso : http://www.argudo.org
>  PostgreSQL : http://www.postgresqlfr.org
>  l'APRIL    : http://www.april.org

> Josh Berkus
> Aglio Database Solutions
> San Francisco

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Fwd: Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL Users' Group sites

От
elein
Дата:
I think we should err on the side of openess.
That is, we should not restrict the pugs based
on anything except that the organization is
a users group and its primary focus is PostgreSQL.

--elein

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 02:10:31PM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> I think PUG implies physical meetings and such, and I don't think the
> french community site falls into that category... we do have a link to
> it from the main www page though.
>
> Robert Treat
>
> On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 12:46, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Guys,
> >
> > Jean-Paul wants a link on the main PUG page to the PostgreSQL French Community
> > web site.   Is there any reason not to?
> >
> > -Josh

"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
I can't see any reason why not ...

----

Re: Fwd: Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL Users' Group sites

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Wed, 12 May 2004, elein wrote:

> I think we should err on the side of openess.
> That is, we should not restrict the pugs based
> on anything except that the organization is
> a users group and its primary focus is PostgreSQL.

Agreed ... but, that does call into question what happens if a group in
French *does* start a "phyiscal get together" user group, and isn't
assocated with the 'web prescense only' one?  Does one over-ride the
other?

> --elein
>
> On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 02:10:31PM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> > I think PUG implies physical meetings and such, and I don't think the
> > french community site falls into that category... we do have a link to
> > it from the main www page though.
> >
> > Robert Treat
> >
> > On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 12:46, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > > Guys,
> > >
> > > Jean-Paul wants a link on the main PUG page to the PostgreSQL French Community
> > > web site.   Is there any reason not to?
> > >
> > > -Josh

Rod Taylor
Дата:
On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 14:41, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> Agreed ... but, that does call into question what happens if a group in
> French *does* start a "phyiscal get together" user group, and isn't
> assocated with the 'web prescense only' one?  Does one over-ride the
> other?

What would you do if 3 different French cities started independent
groups?

--
Rod Taylor <rbt [at] rbt [dot] ca>

PGP Key: http://www.rbt.ca/signature.asc

Вложения

Re: Fwd: Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL Users' Group sites

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Wed, 12 May 2004, Rod Taylor wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 14:41, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > Agreed ... but, that does call into question what happens if a group in
> > French *does* start a "phyiscal get together" user group, and isn't
> > assocated with the 'web prescense only' one?  Does one over-ride the
> > other?
>
> What would you do if 3 different French cities started independent
> groups?

Valid question ... but, IMHO, if we are going to define (and I'm not
saying that we need to) a UG, the one thing that should be defined is
"region of coverage" ... having one UG say that its "for France" is, IMHO,
way way too broad.  Never having been there myself, but even if based
centrally in Paris (semi-central to the country, no?), I can imagine it
the country is larger then a 1hr driving radius from there, no?

I think it would be redundant to have two in, say, San Francisco, but not
to have one in SF and one in Berkeley, for instance ...

----

Re: Fwd: Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL Users' Group sites

От
elein
Дата:
Still we should err on the side of openness. So what if
there is one for all of France *and* one for Paris, say.
So what if there is more than one in SF.

The only requirement should be that it be a users group
and have as its primary focus PostgreSQL.

Let people arrange themselves how they will.

--elein

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 03:41:11PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Wed, 12 May 2004, elein wrote:
>
> > I think we should err on the side of openess.
> > That is, we should not restrict the pugs based
> > on anything except that the organization is
> > a users group and its primary focus is PostgreSQL.
>
> Agreed ... but, that does call into question what happens if a group in
> French *does* start a "phyiscal get together" user group, and isn't
> assocated with the 'web prescense only' one?  Does one over-ride the
> other?
>

> > --elein
> >
> > On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 02:10:31PM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> > > I think PUG implies physical meetings and such, and I don't think the
> > > french community site falls into that category... we do have a link to
> > > it from the main www page though.
> > >
> > > Robert Treat

Дата:
Marc,

> Valid question ... but, IMHO, if we are going to define (and I'm not
> saying that we need to) a UG, the one thing that should be defined is
> "region of coverage" ... having one UG say that its "for France" is, IMHO,
> way way too broad.  Never having been there myself, but even if based
> centrally in Paris (semi-central to the country, no?), I can imagine it
> the country is larger then a 1hr driving radius from there, no?

I think this is way too micro-managed.   Who has time for this stuff?  Let the
users' groups declare themselves however they want.

I would *love* to have the problem of so many users' groups that they overlap.
May I point out that we currently have 3, and two have yet to have a meeting?

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions
 San Francisco

Re: Fwd: Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL Users' Group sites

Дата:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> I would *love* to have the problem of so many users' groups that they
> overlap.

I agree with Josh.  We can sort it out if and when there's actually a
conflict, but at the moment this argument seems pretty pointless.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Fwd: Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL Users' Group sites

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 16:34, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Marc,
>
> > Valid question ... but, IMHO, if we are going to define (and I'm not
> > saying that we need to) a UG, the one thing that should be defined is
> > "region of coverage" ... having one UG say that its "for France" is, IMHO,
> > way way too broad.  Never having been there myself, but even if based
> > centrally in Paris (semi-central to the country, no?), I can imagine it
> > the country is larger then a 1hr driving radius from there, no?
>
> I think this is way too micro-managed.   Who has time for this stuff?  Let the
> users' groups declare themselves however they want.
>
> I would *love* to have the problem of so many users' groups that they overlap.
> May I point out that we currently have 3, and two have yet to have a meeting?

Hmm... I thought the criteria was simple... it was a site for user
groups... the french community site isn't a user group, therefore it
doesnt belong in the list for users groups... but whatever, if you guys
feel like adding it go for it, and while you're at it you could probably
add all the other community sites listed on the main page as well.

Robert Treat

Re: Fwd: Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL Users' Group sites

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Wed, 12 May 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> > I would *love* to have the problem of so many users' groups that they
> > overlap.
>
> I agree with Josh.  We can sort it out if and when there's actually a
> conflict, but at the moment this argument seems pretty pointless.

I have to agree with Robert on this though ... a UG, at least what I think
is the defacto standard for it, is a group that gets together ... linking
to "PostgreSQL related web sites" is not for pug.postgresql.org, or, at
least, shouldn't be ... a 'Related Sites' link off of www.postgresql.org,
yes ...

I'm not so much worried about micro-managing, but there should be *some*
criteria for inclusion, and I think monthly, schedualed meetings should be
a big one ...

----

Re: Fwd: Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL Users' Group sites

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 06:03:45PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Wed, 12 May 2004, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> > > I would *love* to have the problem of so many users' groups that
> > > they overlap.
> >
> > I agree with Josh.  We can sort it out if and when there's
> > actually a conflict, but at the moment this argument seems pretty
> > pointless.
>
> I have to agree with Robert on this though ... a UG, at least what I
> think is the defacto standard for it, is a group that gets together
> ... linking to "PostgreSQL related web sites" is not for
> pug.postgresql.org, or, at least, shouldn't be

Why not?

> ... a 'Related Sites' link off of www.postgresql.org, yes ...
>
> I'm not so much worried about micro-managing, but there should be
> *some* criteria for inclusion,

Great!  How about willingness to be included?  At this stage, that's
plenty.

> and I think monthly, schedualed meetings should be a big one ...

Please pardon me while I add in a little reality check to this grand
plan.  SF PostgreSQL Users' Group, far and away the largest to date,
has had one once every 2-3 months.  According to this "criterion,"
there are no pugs at all right now, let alone three fledgling ones.

Cheers,
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Re: Fwd: Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL Users' Group sites now

Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Guys,
>
> Jean-Paul wants a link on the main PUG page to the PostgreSQL French Community
> web site.   Is there any reason not to?

Jean-Paul is also setting up a big PostgreSQL track for next February at
the same show I attended this year in Paris.

Re: Fwd: Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL Users' Group sites

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
hey look, a dead horse, let's go beat it...

On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 17:15, David Fetter wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 06:03:45PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> > > I agree with Josh.  We can sort it out if and when there's
> > > actually a conflict, but at the moment this argument seems pretty
> > > pointless.
> >
> > I have to agree with Robert on this though ... a UG, at least what I
> > think is the defacto standard for it, is a group that gets together
> > ... linking to "PostgreSQL related web sites" is not for
> > pug.postgresql.org, or, at least, shouldn't be
>
> Why not?
>
> > ... a 'Related Sites' link off of www.postgresql.org, yes ...
> >
> > I'm not so much worried about micro-managing, but there should be
> > *some* criteria for inclusion,
>
> Great!  How about willingness to be included?  At this stage, that's
> plenty.
>
> > and I think monthly, schedualed meetings should be a big one ...
>
> Please pardon me while I add in a little reality check to this grand
> plan.  SF PostgreSQL Users' Group, far and away the largest to date,
> has had one once every 2-3 months.  According to this "criterion,"
> there are no pugs at all right now, let alone three fledgling ones.

they at least have the intention of meeting in person, which I think is
what Mark was getting at.

Robert Treat