Обсуждение: New News Entry

New News Entry

От
www@www.postgresql.com (World Wide Web Owner)
Дата:
A new entry has been added to the news database.

Database Admin: http://www.postgresql.org/admin/edit_news.php?179

Submitted by: pgman@candle.pha.pa.us
Headline: Fujitsu Funds PostgreSQL Features
Fujitsu is funding various PostgreSQL enhancements that will appear in future PostgreSQL releases.

Story:

Fujitsu is funding various PostgreSQL enhancements that will appear in future PostgreSQL releases.

They have contracted with existing community developers who were already working on these complex features.  With
Fujitsu\'sfunding, these developers can more easily devote the large amount of time required to complete these complex
enhancements.

These features include:

   o  tablespaces
   o  improved JDBC standards compliance
   o  server-side java (PL/J)
   o  nested transactions

If your company wants to do similar funding, please contact me or one of the other core developers.  We can help you
identifycompetent developers and arrange appropriate funding.

Re: New News Entry

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi,

News approved. Will appear in next site build.

Regards, Devrim

--
Devrim GUNDUZ
devrim@gunduz.org                devrim.gunduz@linux.org.tr

Re: New News Entry

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> News approved. Will appear in next site build.

Oh, so everytime someone pays someone to develop a PostgreSQL feature,
it's a news item?  I'll have to remember that...

> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, World Wide Web Owner wrote:
> > A new entry has been added to the news database.
> >
> > Database Admin: http://www.postgresql.org/admin/edit_news.php?179
> >
> > Submitted by: pgman@candle.pha.pa.us
> > Headline: Fujitsu Funds PostgreSQL Features
> > Fujitsu is funding various PostgreSQL enhancements that will appear
> > in future PostgreSQL releases.

Re: New News Entry

От
"Gavin M. Roy"
Дата:
If it's a substantial contribution, which some would argue that Nested
Transactions alone is, and it's not vapor-ware, whats the problem with that?

Gavin

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
>

>>News approved. Will appear in next site build.
>>

>Oh, so everytime someone pays someone to develop a PostgreSQL feature,
>it's a news item?  I'll have to remember that...
>

>>On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, World Wide Web Owner wrote:
>>

>>>A new entry has been added to the news database.
>>>
>>>Database Admin: http://www.postgresql.org/admin/edit_news.php?179
>>>
>>>Submitted by: pgman@candle.pha.pa.us
>>>Headline: Fujitsu Funds PostgreSQL Features
>>>Fujitsu is funding various PostgreSQL enhancements that will appear
>>>in future PostgreSQL releases.

Re: New News Entry

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Gavin M. Roy wrote:
> If it's a substantial contribution, which some would argue that
> Nested Transactions alone is, and it's not vapor-ware, whats the
> problem with that?

So far it is vaporware. And no one can verify what kind of agreement has
been made or who is developing this code or whether it will go into any
release.  The people coding it aren't even mentioned.  It's just the
same old "MySQL 4.1 will include views" nonsense that we should stay
away from.

Re: New News Entry

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> > News approved. Will appear in next site build.
>
> Oh, so everytime someone pays someone to develop a PostgreSQL feature,
> it's a news item?  I'll have to remember that...

Agree with Peter here ... are we going to see another news item when the
feature is actually developed and added to the code?

----

Re: New News Entry

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Gavin M. Roy wrote:

> If it's a substantial contribution, which some would argue that Nested
> Transactions alone is, and it's not vapor-ware, whats the problem with
> that?

the fact that it *is* vapor-ware right now is the problem ... the code
hasn't been written, its been contracted out to *be* written ... sometime
in the future ...

> Gavin
>
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
> >Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> >

> >>News approved. Will appear in next site build.
> >>

> >Oh, so everytime someone pays someone to develop a PostgreSQL feature,
> >it's a news item?  I'll have to remember that...

> >TIP 6: Have you searched our list archives?
> >
> >               http://archives.postgresql.org

----

Re: New News Entry

Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Gavin M. Roy wrote:
>
> > If it's a substantial contribution, which some would argue that Nested
> > Transactions alone is, and it's not vapor-ware, whats the problem with
> > that?
>
> the fact that it *is* vapor-ware right now is the problem ... the code
> hasn't been written, its been contracted out to *be* written ... sometime
> in the future ...

Gavin Sherry it doing tablespaces, Dave Cramer the java items, and
Alvaro the nested transactions.  All coding started 1-3 months ago.  I
am committed to paying them, and Fujitsu will pay me through SRA.

The point is that Fujitsu is funding development of features.  The
features themselves aren't important, and can be removed from the news
item if desired.

Re: New News Entry

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 13:45, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
> > Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> > > News approved. Will appear in next site build.
> >
> > Oh, so everytime someone pays someone to develop a PostgreSQL feature,
> > it's a news item?  I'll have to remember that...
>
> Agree with Peter here ... are we going to see another news item when the
> feature is actually developed and added to the code?

How about we drop it from the main page and instead I'll put a blurb in
the weekly news with the mention to contact Bruce/Core if your company
would like to help fund development. Once we get actual patches into CVS
for these features, we can add news items for them attributing
sponsorship of the feature to whomever funded it. This will also give us
some pre-buzz about upcoming features for the next release, but not ones
that are vaporware.

Robert Treat

Re: New News Entry

От
"Gavin M. Roy"
Дата:
My point was Peter originally wasn't complaining about vaporware, it was
about pimping commercial sponsors, at least how I read it.

Gavin

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Gavin M. Roy wrote:
>

>>If it's a substantial contribution, which some would argue that Nested
>>Transactions alone is, and it's not vapor-ware, whats the problem with
>>that?
>>

>the fact that it *is* vapor-ware right now is the problem ... the code
>hasn't been written, its been contracted out to *be* written ... sometime
>in the future ...
>

>>Gavin
>>
>>Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>>>Oh, so everytime someone pays someone to develop a PostgreSQL feature,
>>>it's a news item?  I'll have to remember that...

>>>---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
>>>TIP 6: Have you searched our list archives?
>>>
>>>              http://archives.postgresql.org

>>TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
>>
>>               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/FAQ.html
>>

>----
>Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
>Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

Re: New News Entry

Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 13:45, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> > > Oh, so everytime someone pays someone to develop a PostgreSQL feature,
> > > it's a news item?  I'll have to remember that...
> >
> > Agree with Peter here ... are we going to see another news item when the
> > feature is actually developed and added to the code?
> >

> How about we drop it from the main page and instead I'll put a blurb in
> the weekly news with the mention to contact Bruce/Core if your company
> would like to help fund development. Once we get actual patches into CVS
> for these features, we can add news items for them attributing
> sponsorship of the feature to whomever funded it. This will also give us
> some pre-buzz about upcoming features for the next release, but not ones
> that are vaporware.

I think it is a valid news item because it highlights (well known)
companies funding PostgreSQL development.  Just ditch the feature list.

I agree we can post the feature item once it is in CVS.

Re: New News Entry

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Robert Treat wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 13:45, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> > > Oh, so everytime someone pays someone to develop a PostgreSQL feature,
> > > it's a news item?  I'll have to remember that...
> >
> > Agree with Peter here ... are we going to see another news item when the
> > feature is actually developed and added to the code?
> >

> How about we drop it from the main page and instead I'll put a blurb in
> the weekly news with the mention to contact Bruce/Core if your company
> would like to help fund development. Once we get actual patches into CVS
> for these features, we can add news items for them attributing
> sponsorship of the feature to whomever funded it. This will also give us
> some pre-buzz about upcoming features for the next release, but not ones
> that are vaporware.

I think this would be alot more appropriate ...

----

Re: New News Entry

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Robert Treat wrote:

> > > Agree with Peter here ... are we going to see another news item when the
> > > feature is actually developed and added to the code?
> > >

> > How about we drop it from the main page and instead I'll put a blurb in
> > the weekly news with the mention to contact Bruce/Core if your company
> > would like to help fund development. Once we get actual patches into CVS
> > for these features, we can add news items for them attributing
> > sponsorship of the feature to whomever funded it. This will also give us
> > some pre-buzz about upcoming features for the next release, but not ones
> > that are vaporware.
>
> I think it is a valid news item because it highlights (well known)
> companies funding PostgreSQL development.  Just ditch the feature list.

Agreed here too ... then it becomes no different then "SRA hires Bruce
Momjian" ... but, I think those doing the work should be mentioned as
well, no?

----

Re: New News Entry

Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Robert Treat wrote:

> > > How about we drop it from the main page and instead I'll put a blurb in
> > > the weekly news with the mention to contact Bruce/Core if your company
> > > would like to help fund development. Once we get actual patches into CVS
> > > for these features, we can add news items for them attributing
> > > sponsorship of the feature to whomever funded it. This will also give us
> > > some pre-buzz about upcoming features for the next release, but not ones
> > > that are vaporware.
> >
> > I think it is a valid news item because it highlights (well known)
> > companies funding PostgreSQL development.  Just ditch the feature list.
>
> Agreed here too ... then it becomes no different then "SRA hires Bruce
> Momjian" ... but, I think those doing the work should be mentioned as
> well, no?

OK, where should we go from here?  Remove the item?  Remove the feature
list?  Add names of folks?

Re: New News Entry

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 14:06, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Robert Treat wrote:

> > > How about we drop it from the main page and instead I'll put a blurb in
> > > the weekly news with the mention to contact Bruce/Core if your company
> > > would like to help fund development. Once we get actual patches into CVS
> > > for these features, we can add news items for them attributing
> > > sponsorship of the feature to whomever funded it. This will also give us
> > > some pre-buzz about upcoming features for the next release, but not ones
> > > that are vaporware.
> >
> > I think it is a valid news item because it highlights (well known)
> > companies funding PostgreSQL development.  Just ditch the feature list.
>
> Agreed here too ... then it becomes no different then "SRA hires Bruce
> Momjian" ... but, I think those doing the work should be mentioned as
> well, no?

If you add the names of developers, isn't the very next question going
to be "what are you guys up to?"

Of course just saying fujitsu is funding development will leads people
to ask who and what so I am not sure I see the point in any of it if we
don't do full disclosure...

Incidentally someone ought to update the TODO list to mark down who is
tackling what, which is another place we can mention fujitsu's
sponsorship if people want.

Robert Treat

Re: New News Entry

Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:
> > > I think it is a valid news item because it highlights (well known)
> > > companies funding PostgreSQL development.  Just ditch the feature list.
> >
> > Agreed here too ... then it becomes no different then "SRA hires Bruce
> > Momjian" ... but, I think those doing the work should be mentioned as
> > well, no?
> >

> If you add the names of developers, isn't the very next question going
> to be "what are you guys up to?"
>
> Of course just saying fujitsu is funding development will leads people
> to ask who and what so I am not sure I see the point in any of it if we
> don't do full disclosure...
>
> Incidentally someone ought to update the TODO list to mark down who is
> tackling what, which is another place we can mention fujitsu's
> sponsorship if people want.

TODO updated.  Thanks.

Re: New News Entry

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> > > I think it is a valid news item because it highlights (well known)
> > > companies funding PostgreSQL development.  Just ditch the feature list.
> >
> > Agreed here too ... then it becomes no different then "SRA hires Bruce
> > Momjian" ... but, I think those doing the work should be mentioned as
> > well, no?
>
> OK, where should we go from here?  Remove the item?  Remove the feature
> list?  Add names of folks?

remove feature list and add names of folks ...

----

Re: New News Entry

Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> > > Agreed here too ... then it becomes no different then "SRA hires Bruce
> > > Momjian" ... but, I think those doing the work should be mentioned as
> > > well, no?
> >
> > OK, where should we go from here?  Remove the item?  Remove the feature
> > list?  Add names of folks?
>
> remove feature list and add names of folks ...

OK, can someone make that change.  The names are:

    Dave Cramer <dave@fastcrypt.com>
    Gavin Sherry <swm@linuxworld.com.au>
    Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@dcc.uchile.cl>

Re: New News Entry

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

> > > OK, where should we go from here?  Remove the item?  Remove the feature
> > > list?  Add names of folks?
> >
> > remove feature list and add names of folks ...
>
> OK, can someone make that change.  The names are:
>
>     Dave Cramer <dave@fastcrypt.com>
>     Gavin Sherry <swm@linuxworld.com.au>
>     Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@dcc.uchile.cl>

The other thought that someone else brought up that might be appropriate
would be to leave the feature list, but attribute it with the person that
they contracted to do it ... then, if nothing else, its not as much
vaporware, and ppl can nag those developers for status *muhahaha*

----

Re: New News Entry

Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> > > remove feature list and add names of folks ...
> >
> > OK, can someone make that change.  The names are:
> >
> >     Dave Cramer <dave@fastcrypt.com>
> >     Gavin Sherry <swm@linuxworld.com.au>
> >     Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@dcc.uchile.cl>
>
> The other thought that someone else brought up that might be appropriate
> would be to leave the feature list, but attribute it with the person that
> they contracted to do it ... then, if nothing else, its not as much
> vaporware, and ppl can nag those developers for status *muhahaha*

Fine with me.  It gives those developers some visibility, and
accountability!  :-)

Re: New News Entry

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > The other thought that someone else brought up that might be appropriate
> > would be to leave the feature list, but attribute it with the person that
> > they contracted to do it ... then, if nothing else, its not as much
> > vaporware, and ppl can nag those developers for status *muhahaha*
>
> Fine with me.  It gives those developers some visibility, and
> accountability!  :-)

That's kinda of what I was thinking too ... it always makes it easier
since you've attributed the TODO list appropriately ... instead of trying
to find everyting Dave is working on, its right there ...

----

Re: New News Entry

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Guys,

> remove feature list and add names of folks ...

Right now, can we take it down until we're agreed on the appropriate approach?
Fujitsu started the sponsorhips 3 months ago, a couple days isn't going to
make a difference in the announcement.

I'd argue that an actual press release, from Fujitsu America with quotes from
some PG people is the most appropriate approach.   Bruce, if SRA/Fj wants me
to handle that, I will help.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: New News Entry

Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Guys,
>
> > remove feature list and add names of folks ...
>
> Right now, can we take it down until we're agreed on the appropriate approach?
> Fujitsu started the sponsorhips 3 months ago, a couple days isn't going to
> make a difference in the announcement.

I am just waiting for someone to add the names of the folks.  I thought
everyone wanted that.

> I'd argue that an actual press release, from Fujitsu America with quotes from
> some PG people is the most appropriate approach.   Bruce, if SRA/Fj wants me
> to handle that, I will help.

Sure, that would be nice, but seems like more work.  :-)

Re: New News Entry

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Bruce,

> I am just waiting for someone to add the names of the folks.  I thought
> everyone wanted that.

It's not clear what everyone wants.  That's why I want to hold it off the
page.

> > I'd argue that an actual press release, from Fujitsu America with quotes
> > from some PG people is the most appropriate approach.   Bruce, if SRA/Fj
> > wants me to handle that, I will help.
>
> Sure, that would be nice, but seems like more work.  :-)

It would be.   But doesn't Fujitsu want this to hit the press, not just
Slashdot?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: New News Entry

Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> > I am just waiting for someone to add the names of the folks.  I thought
> > everyone wanted that.
>
> It's not clear what everyone wants.  That's why I want to hold it off the
> page.

OK, pull the item and we can adjust it.

> > > I'd argue that an actual press release, from Fujitsu America with quotes
> > > from some PG people is the most appropriate approach.   Bruce, if SRA/Fj
> > > wants me to handle that, I will help.
> >
> > Sure, that would be nice, but seems like more work.  :-)
>
> It would be.   But doesn't Fujitsu want this to hit the press, not just
> Slashdot?

I am sure they would like that, sure.