Обсуждение: postgresql.mp3

postgresql.mp3

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
i saw a post on -general that reminded me this was supposed to be on my
todo list. I have a copy of someone (i think bruce) pronouncing
postgresql.  I am thinking of adding it to the site at
www.postgresql.org/postgresql.mp3 and submitting a patch for the FAQ to
point to it. Any objections to this? If someone wants to lobby for a
link from the main page please give a suggestion on where you would want
it put.

Robert Treat

Re: postgresql.mp3

Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:
> i saw a post on -general that reminded me this was supposed to be on my
> todo list. I have a copy of someone (i think bruce) pronouncing

It was a friend of Marc's actually.

> postgresql.  I am thinking of adding it to the site at
> www.postgresql.org/postgresql.mp3 and submitting a patch for the FAQ to
> point to it. Any objections to this? If someone wants to lobby for a
> link from the main page please give a suggestion on where you would want
> it put.

I think we should mention that you can also just say "postgres".

Re: postgresql.mp3

От
Oleg Bartunov
Here is a link:

http://postgresql.rmplc.co.uk/postgresql.mp3

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Robert Treat wrote:
> > i saw a post on -general that reminded me this was supposed to be on my
> > todo list. I have a copy of someone (i think bruce) pronouncing
>
> It was a friend of Marc's actually.
>
> > postgresql.  I am thinking of adding it to the site at
> > www.postgresql.org/postgresql.mp3 and submitting a patch for the FAQ to
> > point to it. Any objections to this? If someone wants to lobby for a
> > link from the main page please give a suggestion on where you would want
> > it put.
>
> I think we should mention that you can also just say "postgres".

    Regards,
        Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: postgresql.mp3

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Robert Treat wrote:
> > i saw a post on -general that reminded me this was supposed to be on my
> > todo list. I have a copy of someone (i think bruce) pronouncing
>
> It was a friend of Marc's actually.

*Actually*, Vince got one of the radio personalities where he is/was
working at to do the recording for us :)

> > postgresql.  I am thinking of adding it to the site at
> > www.postgresql.org/postgresql.mp3 and submitting a patch for the FAQ to
> > point to it. Any objections to this? If someone wants to lobby for a
> > link from the main page please give a suggestion on where you would want
> > it put.
>
> I think we should mention that you can also just say "postgres".

If ppl say postgres, fine ... but, let's encourage using the proper name
wherever possible ...

----

Re: postgresql.mp3

Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Robert Treat wrote:
> > > i saw a post on -general that reminded me this was supposed to be on my
> > > todo list. I have a copy of someone (i think bruce) pronouncing
> >
> > It was a friend of Marc's actually.
>
> *Actually*, Vince got one of the radio personalities where he is/was
> working at to do the recording for us :)
>
> > > postgresql.  I am thinking of adding it to the site at
> > > www.postgresql.org/postgresql.mp3 and submitting a patch for the FAQ to
> > > point to it. Any objections to this? If someone wants to lobby for a
> > > link from the main page please give a suggestion on where you would want
> > > it put.
> >
> > I think we should mention that you can also just say "postgres".
>
> If ppl say postgres, fine ... but, let's encourage using the proper name
> wherever possible ...

They proper name is too hard say.  I think we should make it easier.

Re: postgresql.mp3

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> They proper name is too hard say.  I think we should make it easier.

That is why we put up the MP3 ... I still can't get over why ti is that
ppl things its hard to say "Post-Gres-Q-L", other then that ppl are lazy
... if you *tell/show* them how to pronounce it, it really isn't *that*
hard ... if they can say "Post-Gres", it isn't too hard to add "Q-L" to it

----

Re: postgresql.mp3

Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > They proper name is too hard say.  I think we should make it easier.
>
> That is why we put up the MP3 ... I still can't get over why ti is that
> ppl things its hard to say "Post-Gres-Q-L", other then that ppl are lazy
> ... if you *tell/show* them how to pronounce it, it really isn't *that*
> hard ... if they can say "Post-Gres", it isn't too hard to add "Q-L" to it

I know how to say it, but it is still too hard.

Re: postgresql.mp3

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > > They proper name is too hard say.  I think we should make it easier.
> >
> > That is why we put up the MP3 ... I still can't get over why ti is that
> > ppl things its hard to say "Post-Gres-Q-L", other then that ppl are lazy
> > ... if you *tell/show* them how to pronounce it, it really isn't *that*
> > hard ... if they can say "Post-Gres", it isn't too hard to add "Q-L" to it
>
> I know how to say it, but it is still too hard.

It is only as hard as you encourage it to be so ... I've never had a
problem with pronouncing it, and other then the first pronounciation that
I have to correct, I've dealt with government officials that are
techo-illeterates, that have no problems pronouncing it ... the only
problem I've ever had with ppl pronouncing it has been that everyone
expects it to be pronounced:

Post-Gre-SQL

instead of

Post Gres Q L

once they realize where the split it, they no longer have problems ...

----

Re: postgresql.mp3

Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> It is only as hard as you encourage it to be so ... I've never had a
> problem with pronouncing it, and other then the first pronounciation that
> I have to correct, I've dealt with government officials that are
> techo-illeterates, that have no problems pronouncing it ... the only
> problem I've ever had with ppl pronouncing it has been that everyone
> expects it to be pronounced:
>
> Post-Gre-SQL
>
> instead of
>
> Post Gres Q L
>
> once they realize where the split it, they no longer have problems ...

When I say it 100 times in a talk, it becomes a mouth-full and I
abbreviate it.

Re: postgresql.mp3

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> When I say it 100 times in a talk, it becomes a mouth-full and I
> abbreviate it.

'k, that is different ... but I suspect (would hope) that you start off
the talk itself with the "proper" name, vs the slang/short name?

In my case, I shorten to to simple pgsql, postgres for me never rang off
my tongue *shrug*

----

Re: postgresql.mp3

Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > When I say it 100 times in a talk, it becomes a mouth-full and I
> > abbreviate it.
>
> 'k, that is different ... but I suspect (would hope) that you start off
> the talk itself with the "proper" name, vs the slang/short name?

Yes, but I go for slang very quickly.  :-)

> In my case, I shorten to to simple pgsql, postgres for me never rang off
> my tongue *shrug*

Oh, no, I never use pgsql.

Re: postgresql.mp3

От
"Dave Page"

I completely agree. It can be a nightmare when talking to management -
Postgres is much easier and they tend to remember it a lot more which is
always important when trying to justify it for a project.

Regards, Dave.