Обсуждение: jobs.postgresql.org

jobs.postgresql.org

От
Chris Bowlby
Дата:
Hi All,

 I'm attempting to polish off the last of the cleanups for the servers
here at hub and jobs.postgresql.org is one of the remaining VM's that
needs to be either upgraded or merged with an existing VM that has
already been upgraded. The upgraded VM's are currently he
svr*.postgresql.org VM's. Who's currently maintaining the site? Is it
being maintained? How long would it take to merge into the
www.postgresql.org VM?

 Please let me know on the above so I can work on clearing off that VM
when your ready for it..
--
Chris Bowlby <excalibur@hub.org>

Re: jobs.postgresql.org

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
Hey Chris, I think the only thing left up there is techdocs. I was going
to move it to the new VM but we never got zope working so it got pushed
back, and then Josh had said he was going to convert the site to
bricolage *any day now*, so i figured he could go ahead and do that. if
it is dragging you down i can try to finish turning everything into html
docs and moving it to the new vm (some could surely be incorporated into
the main site), but i have been really swamped as of late so hate to do
the work if it is going to be replaced with bric any time soon.
unfortunatly josh is out of town i think till next tuesday so not sure
what his status is on the bricolage transfer. actually i still owe marc
a look at some of those databases :-( unless they've been deleted
already...

Robert Treat

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 14:45, Chris Bowlby wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>  I'm attempting to polish off the last of the cleanups for the servers
> here at hub and jobs.postgresql.org is one of the remaining VM's that
> needs to be either upgraded or merged with an existing VM that has
> already been upgraded. The upgraded VM's are currently he
> svr*.postgresql.org VM's. Who's currently maintaining the site? Is it
> being maintained? How long would it take to merge into the
> www.postgresql.org VM?
>
>  Please let me know on the above so I can work on clearing off that VM
> when your ready for it..
> --
> Chris Bowlby <excalibur@hub.org>

Re: jobs.postgresql.org

От
Chris Bowlby
Дата:
At 03:45 PM 8/27/03 -0300, Chris Bowlby wrote:

  I guess no one is looking after jobs.postgresql.org?

>Hi All,
>
>  I'm attempting to polish off the last of the cleanups for the servers
>here at hub and jobs.postgresql.org is one of the remaining VM's that
>needs to be either upgraded or merged with an existing VM that has
>already been upgraded. The upgraded VM's are currently he
>svr*.postgresql.org VM's. Who's currently maintaining the site? Is it
>being maintained? How long would it take to merge into the
>www.postgresql.org VM?
>
>  Please let me know on the above so I can work on clearing off that VM
>when your ready for it..
>--
>Chris Bowlby <excalibur@hub.org>

Re: jobs.postgresql.org

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
Hi Chris,

I thought I saw an email from Robert saying that Techdocs is still
running on it, and that work was underway to move it in one form or
another to the www VM.

Regards, Dave.

Re: jobs.postgresql.org

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
I thought Francisco Reyes had step'd up to the plate for that .. no?

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Chris Bowlby wrote:

> At 03:45 PM 8/27/03 -0300, Chris Bowlby wrote:
>
>   I guess no one is looking after jobs.postgresql.org?
>
> >Hi All,
> >
> >  I'm attempting to polish off the last of the cleanups for the servers
> >here at hub and jobs.postgresql.org is one of the remaining VM's that
> >needs to be either upgraded or merged with an existing VM that has
> >already been upgraded. The upgraded VM's are currently he
> >svr*.postgresql.org VM's. Who's currently maintaining the site? Is it
> >being maintained? How long would it take to merge into the
> >www.postgresql.org VM?
> >
> >  Please let me know on the above so I can work on clearing off that VM
> >when your ready for it..
> >--
> >Chris Bowlby <excalibur@hub.org>

Re: jobs.postgresql.org

От
"Dave Page"
I thought the jobs website was scrapped?

Re: jobs.postgresql.org

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
News to me ... I thought it was just backburned with nobody having any
time to move forward on it ;)

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Dave Page wrote:

> I thought the jobs website was scrapped?

Re: jobs.postgresql.org

От
Chris Bowlby
Дата:
On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 04:12, Dave Page wrote:

 Umm, I was under the impression that jobs and techdocs were on two
different VM's...

--
Chris Bowlby <excalibur@hub.org>
Hub.Org Networking Services

Re: jobs.postgresql.org

От
Chris Bowlby
Дата:
 The sooner the better, as non-union VM's are not being backed up, they
are too large to do so, and we definatly don't want to run into the same
issues we had when the developers server bombed. Once the Vm's been
merged/converted the contents will be backed up giving us shorter
recovery times if the system crashes. From that stand-point I'm in a
rush :>

> Hey Chris, I think the only thing left up there is techdocs. I was going
> to move it to the new VM but we never got zope working so it got pushed
> back, and then Josh had said he was going to convert the site to
> bricolage *any day now*, so i figured he could go ahead and do that. if
> it is dragging you down i can try to finish turning everything into html
> docs and moving it to the new vm (some could surely be incorporated into
> the main site), but i have been really swamped as of late so hate to do
> the work if it is going to be replaced with bric any time soon.
> unfortunatly josh is out of town i think till next tuesday so not sure
> what his status is on the bricolage transfer. actually i still owe marc
> a look at some of those databases :-( unless they've been deleted
> already...
>
> Robert Treat
>
> On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 14:45, Chris Bowlby wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> >  I'm attempting to polish off the last of the cleanups for the servers
> > here at hub and jobs.postgresql.org is one of the remaining VM's that
> > needs to be either upgraded or merged with an existing VM that has
> > already been upgraded. The upgraded VM's are currently he
> > svr*.postgresql.org VM's. Who's currently maintaining the site? Is it
> > being maintained? How long would it take to merge into the
> > www.postgresql.org VM?
> >
> >  Please let me know on the above so I can work on clearing off that VM
> > when your ready for it..
> > --
> > Chris Bowlby <excalibur@hub.org>
--
Chris Bowlby <excalibur@hub.org>
Hub.Org Networking Services

Re: jobs.postgresql.org

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Robert,

> Hey Chris, I think the only thing left up there is techdocs. I was going
> to move it to the new VM but we never got zope working so it got pushed
> back, and then Josh had said he was going to convert the site to
> bricolage *any day now*, so i figured he could go ahead and do that. if
> it is dragging you down i can try to finish turning everything into html
> docs and moving it to the new vm (some could surely be incorporated into
> the main site), but i have been really swamped as of late so hate to do
> the work if it is going to be replaced with bric any time soon.
> unfortunatly josh is out of town i think till next tuesday so not sure
> what his status is on the bricolage transfer. actually i still owe marc
> a look at some of those databases :-( unless they've been deleted
> already...

We have a bricolage test site set up, but haven't done much with it because of
my absence and Elein is busy.  Soon, really.  We just want to build a large
portion of Techdocs on the test server before trying to port the real site.

A caution: we found that Bricolage is *very* difficult to install and may take
several attempts and/or the direct involvement of David Wheeler to get it
built on a BSD VM.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: jobs.postgresql.org

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
It's rumoured that Josh Berkus once said:

> A caution: we found that Bricolage is *very* difficult to install and
> may take  several attempts and/or the direct involvement of David
> Wheeler to get it  built on a BSD VM.

That doesn't surprise me - Justin tried it once and couldn't get it to
work. It would be nice to use Bricolage however, and hopefully David will
be willing to help if there are problems.
Regards, Dave.

Re: jobs.postgresql.org

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Speaking of Jobs.PostgreSQL.ORG:

Several people, over the last year, have offered to code something for
jobs.postgresql.org, but nothing has come of it.

I had an interesting idea.   I know Craig Newmar personally; would people be
interested in setting up jobs.postgresql.org as some sort of collaboration
with craigslist.org?    This might spare us the challenge of setting up the
technology, while allowing us to charge a token payment for listings.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: jobs.postgresql.org

Dave Page wrote:
> It's rumoured that Josh Berkus once said:
>
> > A caution: we found that Bricolage is *very* difficult to install and
> > may take  several attempts and/or the direct involvement of David
> > Wheeler to get it  built on a BSD VM.
>
> That doesn't surprise me - Justin tried it once and couldn't get it to
> work. It would be nice to use Bricolage however, and hopefully David will
> be willing to help if there are problems.
> Regards, Dave.

I have David's IM address if you want it.

Re: jobs.postgresql.org

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Wednesday 03 September 2003 14:56, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Speaking of Jobs.PostgreSQL.ORG:
>
> Several people, over the last year, have offered to code something for
> jobs.postgresql.org, but nothing has come of it.
>
> I had an interesting idea.   I know Craig Newmar personally; would people
> be interested in setting up jobs.postgresql.org as some sort of
> collaboration with craigslist.org?    This might spare us the challenge of
> setting up the technology, while allowing us to charge a token payment for
> listings.

I'm not against it, though I really wonder if folks would actually pay to

The "somethings better than nothing" fix:

* add pgsql-jobs to mailing lists web page
* add pgsql-jobs to archives
* remove bad information on techdocs jobs page, pointing folks to the mailing
list pages, reminding them to search for postgre, postgres,postgresql,pgsql
when searching job sites.
* put up announcement on main web page
* put notice in weekly news

Robert Treat

Re: jobs.postgresql.org

От
"Marc G. Fournier"

> * add pgsql-jobs to archives

done ... should have sub-pages in there in the next 20 minutes or so ...

Re: jobs.postgresql.org

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Robert,

> I'm not against it, though I really wonder if folks would actually pay to

Sure, why not?  Craigslist.org is entirely funded by job listings.

Also charging some kind of fee screens out the vapor and most of the
agency-recruiters-in-sheeps-clothing.

> The "somethings better than nothing" fix:
>
> * add pgsql-jobs to mailing lists web page
> * add pgsql-jobs to archives
> * remove bad information on techdocs jobs page, pointing folks to the
mailing
> list pages, reminding them to search for postgre, postgres,postgresql,pgsql
> when searching job sites.
> * put up announcement on main web page
> * put notice in weekly news

Sure, that sounds great as something we can do right now.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: jobs.postgresql.org

От
Francisco Reyes
Дата:
On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

Coming very late into the topic..

> I thought Francisco Reyes had step'd up to the plate for that .. no?

I have been out of involvement with the jobs site for a long time.
According to the last messages I saw there was some discussion about
moving to a system developed by a company (sounded like a jobs site). Did
this ever come to pass?

I have two projects I am working on with a consultant. I should have time
by late december. This consultant has a framework we have been using and
he is very quick. I am going to ask him if he would be willing to let
outsiders see his framework. If the answer is yes I would be willing to
pay him to do an initial site and then we can have volunteers help
with the upkeep.

For the most part I think between him and me we could do all the work, but
we will need someone to help with the graphic design.

Would this approach be of interest?

Re: jobs.postgresql.org

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Francisco,

> I have been out of involvement with the jobs site for a long time.
> According to the last messages I saw there was some discussion about
> moving to a system developed by a company (sounded like a jobs site). Did
> this ever come to pass?

My company  may do this.  My PHP guru has done HR apps in the past, and may be
willing to throw something up in exchange for publicity (i.e.
"jobs.postgresql.org designed by Ascher Consulting").

So please keep in touch; I figure whichever of us gets around to this first
should do it.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: jobs.postgresql.org

От
Francisco Reyes
Дата:
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:

> My company  may do this.  My PHP guru has done HR apps in the past, and may be
> willing to throw something up in exchange for publicity (i.e.
> "jobs.postgresql.org designed by Ascher Consulting").

I really don't think I can work on this till mid to late december so if
you can take a jump start or do it go for it. Last time I think part of
the problem was too many ideas.

If I was to take this project I would do a design specification. Show it
on this list get feedback and then get it done. Different people want
different things out of the jobs site and trying to please everyone is
difficult at best.

Re: jobs.postgresql.org

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Francisco,

> If I was to take this project I would do a design specification. Show it
> on this list get feedback and then get it done. Different people want
> different things out of the jobs site and trying to please everyone is
> difficult at best.

That's why my company may "just do it"; we'll recycle existing code to make
something that won't please everybody but will work.  Sometimes getting
something done is more important that getting it exactly right.

Add this to the mix:  There is a private company which may be offering a
service which will eliminate our need to do this at all.   Can't say more,
but if all of us end up procrastinating until March, it may become a moot
point.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions