Обсуждение: How would I get rid of trailing blank line?

How would I get rid of trailing blank line?

От
"Tena Sakai"
Дата:
bottom. There is a blank line<br /> at the bottom, however.  Is there any way to<br /> have psql not give me that blank
/></font>

Re: How would I get rid of trailing blank line?

Дата:
"Tena Sakai" <tsakai@gallo.ucsf.edu> writes:
> I often use a line like:
>   psql -tf query.sql mydatabase > query.out

> -t option gets rid of the heading and count
> report at the bottom.  There is a blank line
> at the bottom, however.  Is there any way to
> have psql not give me that blank line?

Doesn't look like it --- the final fputc('\n', fout); seems to be
done unconditionally in all the output formats.  I wonder if we should
change that?  I'm afraid it might break programs that are used to it :-(
        regards, tom lane

Re: How would I get rid of trailing blank line?

От
"Tena Sakai"
Дата:
Sakai<br/> Cc: pgsql-sql@postgresql.org; pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org<br /> Subject: Re: [SQL] How would I get rid of
trailingblank line?<br /><br /> "Tena Sakai" <tsakai@gallo.ucsf.edu> writes:<br /> > I often use a line
count<br/> > report at the bottom.  There is a blank line<br /> > at the bottom, however.  Is there any way to<br
/>> have psql not give me that blank line?<br /><br /> Doesn't look like it --- the final fputc('\n', fout); seems
tobe<br /> done unconditionally in all the output formats.  I wonder if we should<br /> change that?  I'm afraid it

Re: How would I get rid of trailing blank line?

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Tena Sakai <tsakai@gallo.ucsf.edu> wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
>
> I am using postgres 8.3.4 on linux.
> I often use a line like:
>   psql -tf query.sql mydatabase > query.out
>
> -t option gets rid of the heading and count
> report at the bottom.  There is a blank line
> at the bottom, however.  Is there any way to
> have psql not give me that blank line?

Tired of those blank lines in your text files?  Grep them away:

psql -tf query.sql mydatabase | grep -v "^$" > query.out

--
When fascism comes to America, it will be the intolerant selling it as
diversity.

Re: [HACKERS] How would I get rid of trailing blank line?

От
"Tena Sakai"
Дата:
Message-----<br/> From: Andrew Dunstan [<a href="mailto:andrew@dunslane.net">mailto:andrew@dunslane.net</a>]<br />
Sent:Thu 4/2/2009 6:34 PM<br /> To: Tom Lane<br /> Cc: Tena Sakai; pgsql-sql@postgresql.org;
pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org<br/> Subject: Re: [HACKERS] [SQL] How would I get rid of trailing blank line?<br /><br
/>>  <br /> >> -t option gets rid of the heading and count<br /> >> report at the bottom.  There is a
blankline<br /> >> at the bottom, however.  Is there any way to<br /> >> have psql not give me that blank
>done unconditionally in all the output formats.  I wonder if we should<br /> > change that?  I'm afraid it might

Re: How would I get rid of trailing blank line?

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

Re: How would I get rid of trailing blank line?

От
Jasen Betts
Дата:
On 2009-04-02, Tena Sakai <tsakai@gallo.ucsf.edu> wrote:

> I am using postgres 8.3.4 on linux.
> I often use a line like:
>   psql -tf query.sql mydatabase > query.out
>
> -t option gets rid of the heading and count
> report at the bottom.  There is a blank line
> at the bottom, however.  Is there any way to
> have psql not give me that blank line?

I ask postgres to format it for me instead of relying on psql

psql db_name  -c "copy (select * from foo ) to stdout;"

this gives me postgres style tab separated values, but I can
have CSV (or any otther format COPY can do) if I want.
I usually use a more complex subquery with a list of columns and
expressions, where,  order by clauses, etc... )

I use this in a script that pulls data from one database and inserts
in into another.

Requires postgres 8.2 or later

Re: How would I get rid of trailing blank line?

От
"david.paulo"
Дата:
The sed -e '$d' is nice but it has a downside - it will mask the return code
from psql in the case when there is an error