Обсуждение: Executing dynamic queries (EXECUTE)

Executing dynamic queries (EXECUTE)

От
"Carla Mello"
Дата:
Hello!

I need to execute a dynamic query and capture your result in a integer variable.

I´m using the statement "EXECUTE string", but I don´t obtain to capture the result of dynamic query.

See the example:

create or replace function f_population_check() returns bigint as
'
declare
   v_tot bigint;
   v_query varchar(4000);
   v_count integer;
   r record;
begin
   v_tot:= 0;
   for r in select * from pg_tables loop
      v_count:= 0;
      v_query := ''select count(*) from '' || r.tablename;
      v_count:= EXECUTE v_query;
      if v_count = 0 then
         RAISE NOTICE ''Empty table % '',r.tablename;
      end if;
      v_tot:= v_tot + 1;
   end loop;
   return v_tot;
end;
'
language 'plpgsql';
ERROR:  parse error at or near "$1" at character 18
CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function "f_population_check" line 11 at assignment
Somebody could help me?
Thanks, Carla Mello.

Re: Executing dynamic queries (EXECUTE)

От
Tomasz Myrta
Дата:
Dnia 2004-01-27 16:25, Użytkownik Carla Mello napisał:

>     Hello!
>
>     I need to execute a dynamic query and capture your result in a
>     integer variable.
>
>     I´m using the statement "EXECUTE string", but I don´t obtain to
>     capture the result of dynamic query.
>           v_count:= EXECUTE v_query;

Documentation:
19.5.4. Executing dynamic queries

"The results from SELECT queries are discarded by EXECUTE, and SELECT
INTO is not currently supported within EXECUTE. So, the only way to
extract a result from a dynamically-created SELECT is to use the
FOR-IN-EXECUTE form described later."

Regards,
Tomasz Myrta

Re: Executing dynamic queries (EXECUTE)

От
"Carla Mello"
Дата:
Hello Tomasz,

I´m going to study the FOR-IN-EXECUTE statement and to try again.

Thanks,
Carla Mello