Обсуждение: virus warning

virus warning

От
Tomasz Myrta
Дата:
Hi
Recently I receive massive mail attack. This attack comes from some
postgresql mailing list users. All send-to adresses are taken from users
mailboxes which contain postgresql posts. Currently I found two kinds of
viruses:
1. Empty post with "Undelivered message to..." body
2. Microsoft "Dear Customer... " based on www.microsoft.com design.
Both mails contains some .exe attachement.

Regards,
Tomasz Myrta

Re: virus warning

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
On Friday 19 September 2003 07:17, Tomasz Myrta wrote:
> Hi
> Recently I receive massive mail attack. This attack comes from some
> postgresql mailing list users. All send-to adresses are taken from users
> mailboxes which contain postgresql posts. Currently I found two kinds of
> viruses:
> 1. Empty post with "Undelivered message to..." body
> 2. Microsoft "Dear Customer... " based on www.microsoft.com design.
> Both mails contains some .exe attachement.

I've been getting something similar myself. Roughly 100 per day.

--  Richard Huxton Archonet Ltd

Re: virus warning

От
Paul Thomas
Дата:
On 19/09/2003 07:17 Tomasz Myrta wrote:
> Hi
> Recently I receive massive mail attack. This attack comes from some
> postgresql mailing list users. All send-to adresses are taken from users
> mailboxes which contain postgresql posts. Currently I found two kinds of
> viruses:
> 1. Empty post with "Undelivered message to..." body
> 2. Microsoft "Dear Customer... " based on www.microsoft.com design.
> Both mails contains some .exe attachement.
>
> Regards,
> Tomasz Myrta

So far I've had nearly 150 of these in the last 12 hours or so. Somebody
on these lists has a lot of explaining to do! Fortunately my spam filters
are up to scratch and I run Linux :) Others may not be so lucky.

--
Paul Thomas
Business |
| Computer Consultants         |

Re: virus warning

От
Tomasz Myrta
Дата:
> So far I've had nearly 150 of these in the last 12 hours or so. Somebody
> on these lists has a lot of explaining to do! Fortunately my spam
> filters are up to scratch and I run Linux :) Others may not be so lucky.

Currently I've found 45 different Return-Path values in these posts and
it's growing :-(

Regards,
Tomasz Myrta

Re: virus warning

От
Christopher Browne
Дата:
The world rejoiced as dev@archonet.com (Richard Huxton) wrote:
> I've been getting something similar myself. Roughly 100 per day.

Only 100, eh?  I have been seeing that many per hour, give or take...
--
"aa454","@","freenet.carleton.ca"
http://cbbrowne.com/info/x.html

Re: virus warning

От
"Rudi Starcevic"
Дата:
Hi,

Yeah me too - about 150 so far today.
I was thinking it's from my Debian mailing lists not PostgreSQL.

Strange people these stoooopid virus spammers.

Good luck with it all.
Regards
Rudi.

Re: virus warning

От
Tomasz Myrta
Дата:
> The world rejoiced as dev@archonet.com (Richard Huxton) wrote:
>
>>I've been getting something similar myself. Roughly 100 per day.
>

> Only 100, eh?  I have been seeing that many per hour, give or take...

If it will help someone, I found that The Microsoft Virus is called
"Swen" or "Gibe". It attacks (as usual) Internet Explorer without proper
patches.

Regards,
Tomasz Myrta

Re: virus warning

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Paul Thomas wrote:

> On 19/09/2003 07:17 Tomasz Myrta wrote:
> > Hi
> > Recently I receive massive mail attack. This attack comes from some
> > postgresql mailing list users. All send-to adresses are taken from users
> > mailboxes which contain postgresql posts. Currently I found two kinds of
> > viruses:
> > 1. Empty post with "Undelivered message to..." body
> > 2. Microsoft "Dear Customer... " based on www.microsoft.com design.
> > Both mails contains some .exe attachement.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tomasz Myrta
>
> So far I've had nearly 150 of these in the last 12 hours or so. Somebody
> on these lists has a lot of explaining to do! Fortunately my spam filters
> are up to scratch and I run Linux :) Others may not be so lucky.

Keep in mind, if you check the headers on the emails you'll see that they
are forged.  I've been getting about 20 emails a day telling me a message
I know I didn't send was infected with a virus.

I got 432 last night inbound, some with names forged from this list,
others from names unknown.

But I don't think it's not the folks on this list, I think it's a
windows worm that looks in people's email, harvests names at random, and
forged email based on it.

Re: virus warning

От
Paul Thomas
Дата:
On 19/09/2003 16:37 scott.marlowe wrote:

> Keep in mind, if you check the headers on the emails you'll see that they
>
> are forged.  I've been getting about 20 emails a day telling me a message
>
> I know I didn't send was infected with a virus.
>
> I got 432 last night inbound, some with names forged from this list,
> others from names unknown.
>
> But I don't think it's not the folks on this list, I think it's a
> windows worm that looks in people's email, harvests names at random, and
> forged email based on it.

Does seem to be. Just download another 200+. Mildly anoying for me with a
DSL line. I really feel for those on dial-up :(

--
Paul Thomas
Business |
| Computer Consultants         |