Обсуждение: Re: [ADMIN] Syslog

Re: [ADMIN] Syslog

От
Jie Liang
Дата:
I did everything as you did, however, when start the postmaster,
I got following:
FATAL 1:    'syslog' is not a valid option name.

Jie

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Conway [mailto:mail@joeconway.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2002 11:27 AM
To: Jie Liang
Cc: 'pgsql-admin@postgresql.org'; pgsql-sql
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Syslog

Jie Liang wrote:
> I did, it didn't work.
>
> Jie Liang

Works for me. Did you change postgresql.conf? Here's what mine looks like.

#
#       Syslog
#
# requires ENABLE_SYSLOG
syslog = 1                      # range 0-2
syslog_facility = 'LOCAL0'
syslog_ident = 'postgres'

 From the online docs:
SYSLOG (integer)

     PostgreSQL allows the use of syslog for logging. If this option is
set to 1, messages go both to syslog and the standard output. A setting
of 2 sends output only to syslog. (Some messages will still go to the
standard output/error.) The default is 0, which means syslog is off.
This option must be set at server start.

     To use syslog, the build of PostgreSQL must be configured with the
--enable-syslog option.

See:
http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.2/postgres/runtime-config.h
tml

Joe

Re: [ADMIN] Syslog

От
Oliver Elphick
Дата:
On Thu, 2002-03-14 at 20:13, Jie Liang wrote:
> I did everything as you did, however, when start the postmaster,
> I got following:
> FATAL 1:    'syslog' is not a valid option name.

Then you haven't configured postgresql with --enable-syslog.  (That
message comes from src/backend/utils/misc/guc.c, if you want
confirmation.)

     "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see
      your good works, and glorify your Father which is in
      heaven."         Matthew 5:16

Re: [ADMIN] Syslog

От
Larry Rosenman
Дата:
On 14 Mar 2002 21:17:05 +0000
"Oliver Elphick" <olly@lfix.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-03-14 at 20:13, Jie Liang wrote:
> > I did everything as you did, however, when start the postmaster,
> > I got following:
> > FATAL 1:    'syslog' is not a valid option name.
>
> Then you haven't configured postgresql with --enable-syslog.  (That
> message comes from src/backend/utils/misc/guc.c, if you want
> confirmation.)
Hackers: Is there any reason to NOT make --enable-syslog the default
any more?

I.E. can we change the sense of it to be --disable-syslog and have
USE_SYSLOG defined by default?

> --
> Oliver Elphick                                Oliver.Elphick@lfix.co.uk
> Isle of Wight                              http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
> GPG: 1024D/3E1D0C1C: CA12 09E0 E8D5 8870 5839  932A 614D 4C34 3E1D 0C1C
>
>      "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see
>       your good works, and glorify your Father which is in
>       heaven."         Matthew 5:16

Re: [ADMIN] Syslog

Дата:
Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org> writes:
> Hackers: Is there any reason to NOT make --enable-syslog the default
> any more?
> I.E. can we change the sense of it to be --disable-syslog and have
> USE_SYSLOG defined by default?

I thought we'd agreed to do that already; at least Peter had indicated
he planned to do it.  I guess he didn't get around to it for 7.2.

            regards, tom lane