Обсуждение: cannot create sequence

cannot create sequence

От
Olaf Marc Zanger
Дата:
hi there,

as it seems postgresql 7.0 has trouble to create

ver_id_seq

and

own_id_seq

there is nothing visible with \dt \ds \di

are these names occupied for other use?

thanks for help

olaf

--
soli-con Engineering Zanger, Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Olaf Marc Zanger
Lorrainestrasse 23, 3013 Bern / Switzerland

Re: cannot create sequence

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Olaf Marc Zanger writes:

> as it seems postgresql 7.0 has trouble to create
>
> ver_id_seq

Define "trouble".

Re: cannot create sequence

От
Olaf Zanger
Дата:
hi there,

trouble means:

it doesn't show ver_id_seq, nor own_id_seq when doing a \ds
but it brings up an error "cannot create sequence) if i want to
create table ver (id serial, ...);

this happend after i mistakenly did
create table cng (id serial, ver_id int4 constraint ver_id_cst reference ver (id));

without having
create table ver (id serial, ...);

this happend twice. the cli and ver now are nono's for my database.

thanks for help

olaf

--
mailto:info@soli-con.com
mailto:olaf.zanger@soli-con.com
http://www.soli-con.com

Re: cannot create sequence

Дата:
Olaf Zanger <olaf.zanger@soli-con.com> writes:
> it doesn't show ver_id_seq, nor own_id_seq when doing a \ds
> but it brings up an error "cannot create sequence) if i want to
> create table ver (id serial, ...);

What is the *exact* text of the error message?  (That ain't it.)

I am guessing that a Unix file matching the desired sequence name got
left around in your database directory, and that removing this file
would allow you to create the sequence.  However, I can't duplicate
any such problem by following the procedure you describe in 7.0.2...
        regards, tom lane

Re: cannot create sequence

От
Olaf Zanger
Дата:
hi there,

good guess, they are still there.

can i just delete them?

olaf

Tom Lane schrieb:

> Olaf Zanger <olaf.zanger@soli-con.com> writes:
> > it doesn't show ver_id_seq, nor own_id_seq when doing a \ds
> > but it brings up an error "cannot create sequence) if i want to
> > create table ver (id serial, ...);
>
> What is the *exact* text of the error message?  (That ain't it.)
>
> I am guessing that a Unix file matching the desired sequence name got
> left around in your database directory, and that removing this file
> would allow you to create the sequence.  However, I can't duplicate
> any such problem by following the procedure you describe in 7.0.2...

soli-con Engineering Zanger
Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Olaf Marc Zanger
Lorrainestrasse 23
3013 Bern / Switzerland
Fon: +41-31-332 9782
Mob: +41-76-572 9782
mailto:info@soli-con.com
mailto:olaf.zanger@soli-con.com
http://www.soli-con.com

Re: cannot create sequence

От
Olaf Zanger
Дата:
um, sorry,
forgot to ask

then this is a bug eh :-¦ ?

olaf

Tom Lane schrieb:

> Olaf Zanger <olaf.zanger@soli-con.com> writes:
> > it doesn't show ver_id_seq, nor own_id_seq when doing a \ds
> > but it brings up an error "cannot create sequence) if i want to
> > create table ver (id serial, ...);
>
> What is the *exact* text of the error message?  (That ain't it.)
>
> I am guessing that a Unix file matching the desired sequence name got
> left around in your database directory, and that removing this file
> would allow you to create the sequence.  However, I can't duplicate
> any such problem by following the procedure you describe in 7.0.2...

soli-con Engineering Zanger
Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Olaf Marc Zanger
Lorrainestrasse 23
3013 Bern / Switzerland
Fon: +41-31-332 9782
Mob: +41-76-572 9782
mailto:info@soli-con.com
mailto:olaf.zanger@soli-con.com
http://www.soli-con.com

Re: cannot create sequence

Дата:
Olaf Zanger <olaf.zanger@soli-con.com> writes:
> good guess, they are still there.

> can i just delete them?

Yes, if there's not any corresponding system-catalog entry for them.
        regards, tom lane