Обсуждение: PostgreSQL HOWTO

PostgreSQL HOWTO

От
Kaare Rasmussen
Дата:
Whoever wrote this is putting the PostgreSQL community in a bad light:

http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/PostgreSQL-HOWTO-4.html

Maybe someone can change the document, or make the author change it?

Howitzvej 75               Åben 14.00-18.00        Email: kar@webline.dk
2000 Frederiksberg        Lørdag 11.00-17.00       Web:      www.suse.dk

Re: PostgreSQL HOWTO

Дата:
Kaare Rasmussen <kar@webline.dk> writes:
> Whoever wrote this is putting the PostgreSQL community in a bad light:
> http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/PostgreSQL-HOWTO-4.html
> Maybe someone can change the document, or make the author change it?

(Rolls eyes...) See the archives for past discussion of this.  We have
been unable to persuade the LDP that the maintainer of the Postgres
HOWTO is unfit to be trusted with sharp objects, let alone a HOWTO.
If we could take it away from him, we'd gladly do so.
        regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL HOWTO

От
Poet/Joshua Drake
Дата:
Hello,

I do not see how it puts the Postgres community in a bad light, although I
do see how the author is a moron.

<COMPANY>CommandPrompt    - http://www.commandprompt.com    </COMPANY>
<PROJECT>OpenDocs, LLC.    - http://www.opendocs.org    </PROJECT>
<PROJECT>LinuxPorts     - http://www.linuxports.com     </PROJECT>
<WEBMASTER>LDP        - http://www.linuxdoc.org    </WEBMASTER>
--
Instead of asking why a piece of software is using "1970s technology,"
start asking why software is ignoring 30 years of accumulated wisdom.

Re: PostgreSQL HOWTO

От
Kaare Rasmussen
Дата:
> I do not see how it puts the Postgres community in a bad light, although I
> do see how the author is a moron.

People think that it's an official PostgreSQL document. It turned up in a
discussion (PostgreSQL vs. MySQL round 1000) as "the PostgreSQL docs".

Howitzvej 75               �ben 14.00-18.00        Email: kar@webline.dk
2000 Frederiksberg        L�rdag 11.00-17.00       Web:      www.suse.dk

Re: PostgreSQL HOWTO

От
Alvar Freude

Kaare Rasmussen wrote:

> Whoever wrote this is putting the PostgreSQL community in a bad light:
>
> http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/PostgreSQL-HOWTO-4.html

it seems that the author of this HOWTO is a little bit mad in brain:

from http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/PostgreSQL-HOWTO-11.html

|> Best web-scripting (and compiling) language is PHP+Zend compiler
|> PHP is extremely powerful as it combines the power of Perl,
|> Java, C++, Javascript into one single language and it runs on
|> all OSes - unixes and Windows NT/95.

it seems that the author never used any other think then PHP ...

Ciao Alvar

--
Alvar C.H. Freude  |  alvar.freude@merz-akademie.de
   Demo: http://www.online-demonstration.org/  |  Mach mit!

Re: PostgreSQL HOWTO

Дата:
> Hello,
>
> I do not see how it puts the Postgres community in a bad light, although I
> do see how the author is a moron.

Many of use fell is puts Linux in a bad light.  :-)

Pennsylvania19026

Re: PostgreSQL HOWTO

От
"Brett W. McCoy"
Дата:
On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Kaare Rasmussen wrote:

> > I do not see how it puts the Postgres community in a bad light, although I
> > do see how the author is a moron.
>
> People think that it's an official PostgreSQL document. It turned up in a
> discussion (PostgreSQL vs. MySQL round 1000) as "the PostgreSQL docs".

Even earlier on, a lot of people portested the document because it used to
misleadingly be called the "Database HOWTO", even though it only
specifically talked about PostgreSQL.  However, that was the document that
first led me to PostgreSQL, about 2 years before I even knew MySQL
existed...

-- Brett                                    http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
Q:    How many IBM CPU's does it take to do a logical right shift?
A:    33.  1 to hold the bits and 32 to push the register.

Re: PostgreSQL HOWTO

От
Christopher Sawtell
Дата:
On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 09:46, Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
> Whoever wrote this is putting the PostgreSQL community in a bad light:
>
> http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/PostgreSQL-HOWTO-4.html
>
> Maybe someone can change the document, or make the author change it?

Most of that HOWTO document is distincly unbalanced, but if you have the time
to filter out all the raving lunacy there is quite an informative work hidden
away in there.

I'd agree that this HOWTO need editorial work, but please note that it is not
an official PostgreSQL offering.

--
Sincerely etc.,
NAME       Christopher SawtellCELL PHONE 021 257 4451ICQ UIN    45863470EMAIL      csawtell @ xtra . co . nzCNOTES

PostgreSQL HOWTO & LDp

От
Poet/Joshua Drake
Дата:
Hello,

I am the Webmaster of the LDP... What should I know?

Joshua Drake

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

>Kaare Rasmussen <kar@webline.dk> writes:
>> Whoever wrote this is putting the PostgreSQL community in a bad light:
>> http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/PostgreSQL-HOWTO-4.html
>> Maybe someone can change the document, or make the author change it?
>
>(Rolls eyes...) See the archives for past discussion of this.  We have
>been unable to persuade the LDP that the maintainer of the Postgres
>HOWTO is unfit to be trusted with sharp objects, let alone a HOWTO.
>If we could take it away from him, we'd gladly do so.
>
>            regards, tom lane

<COMPANY>CommandPrompt    - http://www.commandprompt.com    </COMPANY>
<PROJECT>OpenDocs, LLC.    - http://www.opendocs.org    </PROJECT>
<PROJECT>LinuxPorts     - http://www.linuxports.com     </PROJECT>
<WEBMASTER>LDP        - http://www.linuxdoc.org    </WEBMASTER>
--
Instead of asking why a piece of software is using "1970s technology,"
start asking why software is ignoring 30 years of accumulated wisdom.
--

Re: PostgreSQL HOWTO

От
Poet/Joshua Drake
Дата:
>|> Best web-scripting (and compiling) language is PHP+Zend compiler
>|> PHP is extremely powerful as it combines the power of Perl,
>|> Java, C++, Javascript into one single language and it runs on
>|> all OSes - unixes and Windows NT/95.
>
>it seems that the author never used any other think then PHP ...

I am afraid I would disagree. I have used all of the languages he metions
and for the Web, PHP is the best.

>Ciao
>  Alvar

<COMPANY>CommandPrompt    - http://www.commandprompt.com    </COMPANY>
<PROJECT>OpenDocs, LLC.    - http://www.opendocs.org    </PROJECT>
<PROJECT>LinuxPorts     - http://www.linuxports.com     </PROJECT>
<WEBMASTER>LDP        - http://www.linuxdoc.org    </WEBMASTER>
--
Instead of asking why a piece of software is using "1970s technology,"
start asking why software is ignoring 30 years of accumulated wisdom.
--

Re: PostgreSQL HOWTO

От
"Michael Richards"
Дата:
> from http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/PostgreSQL-HOWTO-11.html
>
>> Best web-scripting (and compiling) language is PHP+Zend
>> compiler PHP is extremely powerful as it combines the power of
>> Perl, Java, C++, Javascript into one single language and it
>> runs on all OSes - unixes and Windows NT/95.

Is everyone sure that this HOWTO is not a work of fiction sort of
like that report on the computer virus that will cause your
motherboard to catch fire and burn down your house in the middle of
the night?

As I understand Zend is a compiler/interpreter that uses a optimised
bytecode to run a little faster than the normal apache/php. It shares
few of the features of perl, even fewer of Java. C++? Last time I
checked, PHP couldn't do OOP. Next thing we know it will be as
efficient as assembler and as object oriented as SmallTalk.

-Michael
_________________________________________________________________    http://fastmail.ca/ - Fast Free Web Email for
Canadians

Re: PostgreSQL HOWTO & LDp

Дата:
> Hello,
>
> I am the Webmaster of the LDP... What should I know?

OK, just read a little bit of it.  After you stop laughing, come on back
and we can talk.  :-)

Pennsylvania19026

Re: PostgreSQL HOWTO

Дата:
> Is everyone sure that this HOWTO is not a work of fiction sort of
> like that report on the computer virus that will cause your
> motherboard to catch fire and burn down your house in the middle of
> the night?

The HOWTO author really reminds me of Jesus Monroy, if anyone remembers
him from the 386BSD Usenet groups.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: PostgreSQL HOWTO

От
"Brett W. McCoy"
Дата:
On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Michael Richards wrote:

> As I understand Zend is a compiler/interpreter that uses a optimised
> bytecode to run a little faster than the normal apache/php. It shares
> few of the features of perl, even fewer of Java. C++? Last time I
> checked, PHP couldn't do OOP. Next thing we know it will be as
> efficient as assembler and as object oriented as SmallTalk.

Zend is the new engine that PHP4 is built on.  It's supposed to be more
optimised for heavy web stuff, kinda like mod_perl or a Java servlet
engine.  I've never used it, and haven't touched PHP in a year, so I can't
vouch for what it really does.  PHP sorta does objects, but don't expect
Java or C++ (or even Perl) level of OO support.

-- Brett                                    http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
A kind of Batman of contemporary letters.    -- Philip Larkin on Anthony Burgess

Re: PostgreSQL HOWTO

От
"Brett W. McCoy"
Дата:
On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Poet/Joshua Drake wrote:

> >it seems that the author never used any other think then PHP ...
>
> I am afraid I would disagree. I have used all of the languages he metions
> and for the Web, PHP is the best.

I think it all depends on what you are building.  PHP is good for small
projects, but I would go with something more scalable for large systems,
like EJB/servlets or Mason -- something that has more content management &
templating features.

-- Brett                                    http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
Did you know the University of Iowa closed down after someone stole the book?

Re: PostgreSQL HOWTO

От
"Michael Richards"
Дата:
>>> Best web-scripting (and compiling) language is PHP+Zend
>>> compiler PHP is extremely powerful as it combines the power of
>>> Perl, Java, C++, Javascript into one single language and it
>>> runs on all OSes - unixes and Windows NT/95.
>>
>> it seems that the author never used any other think then PHP ...
>
> I am afraid I would disagree. I have used all of the languages he
> metions and for the Web, PHP is the best.

The comparison is neither scientific (nothing is quantified or
specified as criteria) nor is it accurate.

Since you've used all the languages, you should agree that there are
very few things in common with any of them or with PHP. Zend parses
the contents and compiles it into an optimised bytecode and executes
that. This bytecode can be cached.

PHP is server based and nothing runs on the client machine as in
JavaScript.

PHP is not a compiled nor an object oriented language as in C++.
There is no inheritance, polymorphism, or exception handling it has
little in common with C++, let alone taking the "powerful features"
from it.

Same deal with Java. PHP may be executed similar to a VM, but come
on, a JVM is not even close to PHP. On the JCL side of things PHP
lacks any sort of security manager, objects, reflection, exceptions
or platform independent bytecode. It has very little in common with
Java as well.

I build web email systems for a living and I find C++ works best for
me because my implementation is efficient, protects my source code
for outside licenses and allows me to use OOP within my CGI. For me,
it was the best of all mentioned. This is an opinion and I've stated
as to why I chose C++.

My opinion is a sharp contrast to what is written above. I could have
just said.

No, you're all wrong, C++ is the best.

That is not very helpful. Nor is the HOWTO because it is riddled with
not only statements like that, but also facts that are totally wrong.

PHP also does not run on all OSes. I'm sure if I sat down and looked
I could find a large number of platforms it does not run on. How
about MS-DOS? Xenix? OS/2? AS/400? Might be silly examples, but
still points out how silly the "runs on all OSes" statement is.

-Michael
_________________________________________________________________    http://fastmail.ca/ - Fast Free Web Email for
Canadians

Re: PostgreSQL HOWTO

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Folks,
Fascinating as this thread is, is the SQL Developers list really the
appropriate place for it?  Don't we have a Policy list or something?
                -Josh Berkus
--
______AGLIO DATABASE SOLUTIONS___________________________                                       Josh Berkus  Complete
informationtechnology      josh@agliodbs.com   and data management solutions       (415) 436-9166  for law firms, small

Re: PostgreSQL HOWTO

От
Alvar Freude
Дата:
Hi,

Poet/Joshua Drake wrote:

> >it seems that the author never used any other think then PHP ...
>
> I am afraid I would disagree. I have used all of the languages he metions
> and for the Web, PHP is the best.

hmm, i guess it's not a good place for a PHP/Perl war here ;) but:
The author wrote that PHP is Perl, C, Java etc. all in one -- this seems
to me that he doesn't know perl.

perl has lots of stuff that isn't available in PHP, has lots of modules
on CPAN and so on.

You can't compare CGI perl without any module and junky self-made
HTTP-Header-Output from 1995 with PHP.

If you want to compare, then compare mod_perl/embperl and CPAN including
full DBI with PHP. Then it will be very dark for PHP. In case of all:
speed, complexity, ready-to-use modules -- see
http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/CPAN/data/ -- etc.

Ciao Alvar

--
Alvar C.H. Freude  |  alvar.freude@merz-akademie.de
   Demo: http://www.online-demonstration.org/  |  Mach mit!
Blast-DE: http://www.assoziations-blaster.de/   |  Blast-Dich-Fit
Blast-EN: http://www.a-blast.org/               |  Blast/english

Re: PostgreSQL HOWTO

От
Poet/Joshua Drake
Дата:
Hello,

I have temporarily removed the PostgreSQL HOWTO, pending peer review.

Joshua Drake

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Brett W. McCoy wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Poet/Joshua Drake wrote:
>
>> >it seems that the author never used any other think then PHP ...
>>
>> I am afraid I would disagree. I have used all of the languages he metions
>> and for the Web, PHP is the best.
>
>I think it all depends on what you are building.  PHP is good for small
>projects, but I would go with something more scalable for large systems,
>like EJB/servlets or Mason -- something that has more content management &
>templating features.
>
>-- Brett
>                                     http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
>Did you know the University of Iowa closed down after someone stole the book?

<COMPANY>CommandPrompt    - http://www.commandprompt.com    </COMPANY>
<PROJECT>OpenDocs, LLC.    - http://www.opendocs.org    </PROJECT>
<PROJECT>LinuxPorts     - http://www.linuxports.com     </PROJECT>
<WEBMASTER>LDP        - http://www.linuxdoc.org    </WEBMASTER>
--
Instead of asking why a piece of software is using "1970s technology,"
start asking why software is ignoring 30 years of accumulated wisdom.
--

Re: PostgreSQL HOWTO

От
Joseph Shraibman
Дата:
Alvar Freude wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Poet/Joshua Drake wrote:
> >
> > >it seems that the author never used any other think then PHP ...
> >
> > I am afraid I would disagree. I have used all of the languages he metions
> > and for the Web, PHP is the best.
>
> hmm, i guess it's not a good place for a PHP/Perl war here ;) but:
> The author wrote that PHP is Perl, C, Java etc. all in one -- this seems
> to me that he doesn't know perl.

He also wrote
(http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/PostgreSQL-HOWTO-2.html):
"Nuclear weapons and other more powerful divine weapons were used                      in the battle field in ancient
India!"

I'm mystified as to why this document is on the linux.org web site.

--
Joseph Shraibman
jks@selectacast.net