Обсуждение: AP2

AP2

От
Sho Cki
Дата:
 Hi all,

has someone heard about the AP2 web application server (www.petroffcse.com/systems/ap2)?

I just want to know how it really works and if it is really usefull.

Thanks!

Téléchargez le ici !

Re: AP2

От
Neil Saunders
Дата:
This is just a bundle of free software being sold for money. I'm not
entirely sure if this is legal since I'm not familiar with the
licences for all the products (I'm fairly sure it's OK to sell a
packaged PostgreSQL, though).

If I were you, I'd download all the software individually, and install
them yourself. You're

a) Guaranteed to get the most up to date versions (The included
PostgreSQL is an old version, at least)
b) You'll learn something along the way, which will most likely save
you time later down the line if things go wrong
c) You'll save yourself $29.

On 12/11/05, Sho Cki <shocki2003@yahoo.fr> wrote:
>  Hi all,
>
> has someone heard about the AP2 web application server
> (www.petroffcse.com/systems/ap2)?
>
> I just want to know how it really works and if it is really usefull.
>
> Thanks!
>

> ________________________________
> Appel audio GRATUIT partout dans le monde avec le nouveau Yahoo! Messenger
> Téléchargez le ici !

Re: AP2

От
Sho Cki
Дата:
Thank you Neil for your answer.

You're right I can save 29$ by installing all the stuff myself. But as I don't like spending hours putting all together I was curious to know if it does the work well.

I see it like a commercial Linux distribution: I buy the distribution even if it relies on free software because otherwise it would be too long time for me.

Téléchargez le ici !

Re: AP2

От
Neil Saunders
Дата:
I agree with your point, but am still of the opinion that setting up
your own configuration will be reclaimed down the line when you need
to change your configuration, and you have that extra bit of
familiarity. If you still want to go down the package route, there are
plenty of *free* equivilants to this, it's just that most don't
include PostgreSQL.

Try something like WAMP:
http://www.wampserver.com/en/index.php

And then install PostgreSQL using the Windows installer - It doesn't
get much easier than that!

Best of luck!

On 12/12/05, Sho Cki <shocki2003@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> Thank you Neil for your answer.
>

> You're right I can save 29$ by installing all the stuff myself. But as I
> don't like spending hours putting all together I was curious to know if it
> does the work well.
>
> I see it like a commercial Linux distribution: I buy the distribution even
> if it relies on free software because otherwise it would be too long time
> for me.
>

> ________________________________
> Appel audio GRATUIT partout dans le monde avec le nouveau Yahoo! Messenger
> Téléchargez le ici !

Re: AP2

От
Sho Cki
Дата:
I agree you have a better control over your software when you know it well and install it yourself.

I'll take a look to WAMP. I'm just wondering why MySQL is the standard DB server coming along with PHP and Apache in this kind of package. PostgreSQL seems to me much more powerfull.

Anyway. Thank you very much for your advices!

Cheers

On 12/12/05, Sho Cki wrote:
> Thank you Neil for your answer.
>

> You're right I can save 29$ by installing all the stuff myself. But as I
> don't like spending hours putting all together I was curious to know if it
> does the work well.
>
> I see it like a commercial Linux distribution: I buy the distribution even
> if it relies on free software because otherwise it would be too long time
> for me.
>

> ________________________________
> Appel audio GRATUIT partout dans le monde avec le nouveau Yahoo! Messenger
> Téléchargez le ici !

Téléchargez le ici !

Re: AP2

От
Neil Saunders
Дата:
As far as I can tell, MySQL is usually bundled because of it's orignis
- PHP was meant to be a lightweight, easy to use scripting language
for personal projects, and MySQL complemented this by being a
lightweight, fast database server. It didn't need to be enterprise
strength, because 95% of PHP sites at the time were simple blogs; They
were personal sites developed by individuals.

Also at the time, PostgreSQL didn't run natively on Windows - You had
to use an emulation layer such as cygwin, and was a headache for
anyone with little *nix experience (i.e most individuals writing
personal sites). Hence MySQL, with it's Windows installer and easier
maintainance, won out.

On 12/12/05, Sho Cki <shocki2003@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> I agree you have a better control over your software when you know it well
> and install it yourself.
>
> I'll take a look to WAMP. I'm just wondering why MySQL is the standard DB
> server coming along with PHP and Apache in this kind of package. PostgreSQL
> seems to me much more powerfull.
>
> Anyway. Thank you very much for your advices!
>
> Cheers
>
> Neil Saunders <n.j.saunders@gmail.com> a écrit :
> I agree with your point, but am still of the opinion that setting up
> your own configuration will be reclaimed down the line when you need
> to change your configuration, and you have that extra bit of
> familiarity. If you still want to go down the package route, there are
> plenty of *free* equivilants to this, it's just that most don't
> include PostgreSQL.
>
> Try something like WAMP:
> http://www.wampserver.com/en/index.php
>
> And then install PostgreSQL using the Windows installer - It doesn't
> get much easier than that!
>
> Best of luck!
>
> On 12/12/05, Sho Cki wrote:
> > Thank you Neil for your answer.
> >

> > You're right I can save 29$ by installing all the stuff myself. But as I
> > don't like spending hours putting all together I was curious to know if it
> > does the work well.
> >
> > I see it like a commercial Linux distribution: I buy the distribution even
> > if it relies on free software because otherwise it would be too long time
> > for me.
> >

> > ________________________________
> > Appel audio GRATUIT partout dans le monde avec le nouveau Yahoo! Messenger
> > Téléchargez le ici !
> >

> ________________________________
> Appel audio GRATUIT partout dans le monde avec le nouveau Yahoo! Messenger
> Téléchargez le ici !

Re: AP2

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Monday 12 December 2005 09:25, Sho Cki wrote:
> I agree you have a better control over your software when you know it well
> and install it yourself.
>
>   I'll take a look to WAMP. I'm just wondering why MySQL is the standard
> DB server coming along with PHP and Apache in this kind of package.
> PostgreSQL seems to me much more powerfull.

my$ql used to be included with the php distribution, and untill recently
postgresql didnt run on widows, so most of the php community took to working
with my$ql by default and just coding around it's warts with extra php code.

--
Robert Treat

Re: AP2

От
Sho Cki
Дата:
Ok, I understand now the reason why MySQL is so popular.
I hope PostgreSQL will become as popular and even more!

Thanks!

Téléchargez le ici !

Re: AP2

От
"Pedro B."
Дата:
On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 18:50 +0100, Sho Cki wrote:
> Ok, I understand now the reason why MySQL is so popular.
> I hope PostgreSQL will become as popular and even more!

For serious applications AND/OR experienced users, it already is. By
far.

\\pb