Обсуждение: Performance tuning for postgres

От:
Yogesh Naik
Дата:

Hi

I am performing a DB insertion and update for 3000+ records and while doing so i get CPU utilization
to 100% with 67% of CPU used by postgres....

I have also done optimization on queries too...

Is there any way to optimized the CPU utilization for postgres....

 

I am currently using postgres 8.3 version…

Help will be appreciated....

 

Regards

 

Yogesh Naik

DISCLAIMER ========== This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information which is the property of Persistent Systems Ltd. It is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, retain, copy, print, distribute or use this message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete all copies of this message. Persistent Systems Ltd. does not accept any liability for virus infected mails.

От:
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:

Yogesh Naik <> wrote:

> I am performing a DB insertion and update for 3000+ records and
> while doing so i get CPU utilization to 100% with 67% of CPU used
> by postgres....
>
> I have also done optimization on queries too...
>
> Is there any way to optimized the CPU utilization for postgres....

We'd need a lot more information before we could make useful
suggestions.  Knowing something about your hardware, OS, exact
PostgreSQL version, postgresql.conf contents, the table definition,
any foreign keys or other constraints, and exactly how you're doing
the inserts would all be useful.  Please read this and repost:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SlowQueryQuestions

-Kevin

От:
Michael Gould
Дата:

In my opinion it depends on the application, the priority of the application
and whether or not it is a commercially sold product, but depending on your
needs you might want to consider having a 3rd party vendor who has expertise
in this process review and help tune the application.  One vendor that I
know does this is EnterpriseDB.  I've worked with other SQL engines and have
a lot of experience tuning queries in a couple of the environments but
PostGresql isn't one of them.  Having an experienced DBA review your system
can make the difference between night and day.

Best Regards

Michael Gould

"Kevin Grittner" <> wrote:
> Yogesh Naik <> wrote:
>
>> I am performing a DB insertion and update for 3000+ records and
>> while doing so i get CPU utilization to 100% with 67% of CPU used
>> by postgres....
>>
>> I have also done optimization on queries too...
>>
>> Is there any way to optimized the CPU utilization for postgres....
>
> We'd need a lot more information before we could make useful
> suggestions.  Knowing something about your hardware, OS, exact
> PostgreSQL version, postgresql.conf contents, the table definition,
> any foreign keys or other constraints, and exactly how you're doing
> the inserts would all be useful.  Please read this and repost:
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SlowQueryQuestions
>
> -Kevin
>
> --
> Sent via pgsql-performance mailing list ()
> To make changes to your subscription:
> http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-performance
>

--
Michael Gould, Managing Partner
Intermodal Software Solutions, LLC
904.226.0978
904.592.5250 fax



От:
Bryan Hinton
Дата:

Is this a bulk insert?  Are you wrapping your statements within a transaction(s)?
How many columns in the table?  What do the table statistics look like?



On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 9:21 AM, Michael Gould <> wrote:
In my opinion it depends on the application, the priority of the application
and whether or not it is a commercially sold product, but depending on your
needs you might want to consider having a 3rd party vendor who has expertise
in this process review and help tune the application.  One vendor that I
know does this is EnterpriseDB.  I've worked with other SQL engines and have
a lot of experience tuning queries in a couple of the environments but
PostGresql isn't one of them.  Having an experienced DBA review your system
can make the difference between night and day.

Best Regards

Michael Gould

"Kevin Grittner" <> wrote:
> Yogesh Naik <> wrote:
>
>> I am performing a DB insertion and update for 3000+ records and
>> while doing so i get CPU utilization to 100% with 67% of CPU used
>> by postgres....
>>
>> I have also done optimization on queries too...
>>
>> Is there any way to optimized the CPU utilization for postgres....
>
> We'd need a lot more information before we could make useful
> suggestions.  Knowing something about your hardware, OS, exact
> PostgreSQL version, postgresql.conf contents, the table definition,
> any foreign keys or other constraints, and exactly how you're doing
> the inserts would all be useful.  Please read this and repost:
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SlowQueryQuestions
>
> -Kevin
>
> --
> Sent via pgsql-performance mailing list ()
> To make changes to your subscription:
> http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-performance
>

--
Michael Gould, Managing Partner
Intermodal Software Solutions, LLC
904.226.0978
904.592.5250 fax



--
Sent via pgsql-performance mailing list ()
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-performance

От:
Robert Haas
Дата:

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 12:40 AM, Yogesh Naik
<> wrote:
> I am performing a DB insertion and update for 3000+ records and while doing
> so i get CPU utilization
> to 100% with 67% of CPU used by postgres....

That sounds normal to me.  What would you expect to happen?

--
Robert Haas
EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise Postgres Company