Обсуждение: Training Recommendations

Training Recommendations

От
"Campbell, Lance"

PostgreSQL: 8.2.4

Does anyone have any companies they would recommend using for performance tuning training of PostgreSQL for Linux?  Or general DBA training?

Thanks,

Lance Campbell

Project Manager/Software Architect

Web Services at Public Affairs

University of Illinois

217.333.0382

http://webservices.uiuc.edu

Re: Training Recommendations

От
"Usama Munir Dar"
Дата:
EnterpriseDB (www.enterprisedb.com), ofcourse

Campbell, Lance wrote:

> PostgreSQL: 8.2.4
>

> Does anyone have any companies they would recommend using for
> performance tuning training of PostgreSQL for Linux?  Or general DBA
> training?
>

> Thanks,
>

> Lance Campbell
>
> Project Manager/Software Architect
>
> Web Services at Public Affairs
>
> University of Illinois
>
> 217.333.0382
>
> http://webservices.uiuc.edu

Re: Training Recommendations

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Wednesday 28 November 2007 11:20, Usama Munir Dar wrote:
> EnterpriseDB (www.enterprisedb.com), ofcourse

lame :-P

> Campbell, Lance wrote:
> > PostgreSQL: 8.2.4
> >

> > Does anyone have any companies they would recommend using for
> > performance tuning training of PostgreSQL for Linux?  Or general DBA
> > training?

Never take advice from a guy who top posts...  A friend of mine just went
through an OTG course and had good things to say, and I've heard other speak
well of it too, so I'd probably recommend them, but there are several
options, check out the training section on the website:
http://www.postgresql.org/about/eventarchive

Note also some of the more popular pg support companies also offer personal
training, even if it isn't advertised. HTH.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Training Recommendations

От
"Merlin Moncure"
Дата:
On Nov 30, 2007 4:15 AM, Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Never take advice from a guy who top posts...  A friend of mine just went
> through an OTG course and had good things to say, and I've heard other speak
> well of it too, so I'd probably recommend them, but there are several
> options, check out the training section on the website:
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/eventarchive
>
> Note also some of the more popular pg support companies also offer personal
> training, even if it isn't advertised. HTH.

I've been dying to know if anyone has ever done PostgreSQL training at
'the big nerd ranch'.

merlin

Re: Training Recommendations

От
Guido Neitzer
Дата:
On 02.12.2007, at 06:30, Merlin Moncure wrote:

> I've been dying to know if anyone has ever done PostgreSQL training at
> 'the big nerd ranch'.

There are a couple of reviews floating around the web:

http://www.linux.com/articles/48870
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7847

I was in the course too (out of interest) but as I'm with Big Nerd
Ranch, I don't want to say anything here about the course.

cug

--
http://www.event-s.net

Robert Treat wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 November 2007 11:20, Usama Munir Dar wrote:
>
>> EnterpriseDB (www.enterprisedb.com), ofcourse
>>

> lame :-P

Have you or anyone you know tried the training offerings? or you think
its lame because i top posted , which of course would be a very poor
criteria , not to mention completely unrelated, so i definitely think
its not the reason. i would love to hear whats wrong with it so we can
work on its improvement

>> Campbell, Lance wrote:
>>
>>> PostgreSQL: 8.2.4
>>>

>>> Does anyone have any companies they would recommend using for
>>> performance tuning training of PostgreSQL for Linux?  Or general DBA
>>> training?
>>>

> Never take advice from a guy who top posts...  A friend of mine just went
> through an OTG course and had good things to say, and I've heard other speak
> well of it too, so I'd probably recommend them, but there are several
> options, check out the training section on the website:
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/eventarchive
>
> Note also some of the more popular pg support companies also offer personal
> training, even if it isn't advertised. HTH.

Re: Training Recommendations

От
Paul Lindner
Дата:
At hi5 we had the pleasure of having Enterprise DB provide a two-day
training seminar for our DBA and operations staff.  Everyone was very
satisfied with the quality and the price.

On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 01:26:58AM +0500, Usama Munir Dar wrote:

> Robert Treat wrote:
>> On Wednesday 28 November 2007 11:20, Usama Munir Dar wrote:
>>
>>> EnterpriseDB (www.enterprisedb.com), ofcourse
>>>

>> lame :-P
>>

> Have you or anyone you know tried the training offerings? or you think its
> lame because i top posted , which of course would be a very poor criteria ,
> not to mention completely unrelated, so i definitely think its not the
> reason. i would love to hear whats wrong with it so we can work on its
> improvement

>> Never take advice from a guy who top posts...  A friend of mine just went
>> through an OTG course and had good things to say, and I've heard other
>> speak well of it too, so I'd probably recommend them, but there are
>> several options, check out the training section on the website:
>> http://www.postgresql.org/about/eventarchive
>>
>> Note also some of the more popular pg support companies also offer
>> personal training, even if it isn't advertised. HTH.

--
Paul Lindner        ||||| | | | |  |  |  |   |   |
lindner@inuus.com

Вложения

Re: Training Recommendations

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Sunday 02 December 2007 15:26, Usama Munir Dar wrote:
> Robert Treat wrote:
> > On Wednesday 28 November 2007 11:20, Usama Munir Dar wrote:
> >> EnterpriseDB (www.enterprisedb.com), ofcourse
> >
> > lame :-P
>
> Have you or anyone you know tried the training offerings? or you think
> its lame because i top posted , which of course would be a very poor
> criteria , not to mention completely unrelated, so i definitely think
> its not the reason. i would love to hear whats wrong with it so we can
> work on its improvement

What I thought was lame was that you, being someone who works for EntepriseDB,
suggested EnterpriseDB as a solution, with no mention of the other training
options available.  Now one guy doing this isn't such a big deal (though it
is still poor practice), but if every training company we're to do this I
think you can see how it doesn't do much for helping the public discourse. Of
course I probably would have let the whole thing slide, but you top posted,
so...

--
Robert Treat

Re: Training Recommendations

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 04:15:09 -0500
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Never take advice from a guy who top posts...  A friend of mine just
> went through an OTG course and had good things to say, and I've heard
> other speak well of it too, so I'd probably recommend them, but there

As a CMD representative, I will state that I have heard good things
about OTG's training as well. We have sent several of our smaller
customers (those who don't need in shop training like CMD provides) to
them and they have all reported back very happy.

> are several options, check out the training section on the website:
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/eventarchive
>
> Note also some of the more popular pg support companies also offer
> personal training, even if it isn't advertised. HTH.

Right, I believe some even offer (besides CMD) custom training.
2ndQuandrant (sp?) for example recently announced a PITR training.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Вложения

Re: Training Recommendations

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 15:50 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> > Note also some of the more popular pg support companies also offer
> > personal training, even if it isn't advertised. HTH.
>
> Right, I believe some even offer (besides CMD) custom training.
> 2ndQuandrant (sp?) for example recently announced a PITR training.

Just posting to get the spelling right; thanks Josh for mentioning.

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com