Обсуждение: System Requirement

System Requirement

От
Saranya Sivakumar

Hi All,

We are looking to upgrade to 8.0 from 7.3.2 on production server. The current production system we are using is

2 x 2.4 Ghz Intel Xeon CPU with HT(4 virtual CPUs)

RAM - 1GB

HDD - 34GB SCSI

-------------------------------------

Production DB size: 10.89 GB

Number of tables: 253

We are planning to get a new server/system and upgrade to 8.0 on it. What is the recommended system requirement for Postgres 8.0?

Please give me your inputs on this.

Thanks

Saranya

Yahoo! Mail Mobile

Re: System Requirement

От
Madison Kelly
Дата:
Saranya Sivakumar wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We are looking to upgrade to 8.0 from 7.3.2 on production server. The
> current production system we are using is

> 2 x 2.4 Ghz Intel Xeon CPU with HT(4 virtual CPUs)
>
> RAM - 1GB
>
> HDD - 34GB SCSI
>
> -------------------------------------
>
> Production DB size: 10.89 GB
>
> Number of tables: 253
>
> We are planning to get a new server/system and upgrade to 8.0 on it.
> What is the recommended system requirement for Postgres 8.0?
>
> Please give me your inputs on this.
>
> Thanks
>
> Saranya

Hi,

   Let me be the first to recommend RAM. From what little I know so far
I think it is still important to know more about what your database
looks like and how is it used/accessed. Can you post some more
information on the details of your database? Is it a few users with
large datasets (like a research project) or many users with small data
sets (like a website)?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/kernel-resources.html

See if that helps a bit. My first suggestion would be to simply increase
your RAM to at least 2GB. Anything more would be beneficial up to the
point of being able to load your entire DB into RAM (16GB RAM should
allow for that plus other OS overhead).

Well, I'm relatively new so defer to others but this is my suggestion.

Best of luck!

Madison
--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Madison Kelly (Digimer)

Re: System Requirement

От
hubert depesz lubaczewski
Дата:
On 6/13/05, Saranya Sivakumar <sarlavk@yahoo.com> wrote:
> 2 x 2.4 Ghz Intel Xeon CPU with HT(4 virtual CPUs)

switch to amd opteron (dual cpu). for the same price you get 2x
performance - comparing to xeon boxes.

> RAM - 1GB

you'd definitelly could use more ram. the more the better.

> HDD - 34GB SCSI

is it one drive of 34G? if yes, buy another one and setup raid1 over
them. should boost performance as well.

> Production DB size: 10.89 GB

not much. you could even consider buing 12 or 16g of ram to make it
fit in memory.

depesz

Re: System Requirement

От
Saranya Sivakumar
Дата:
Hi,

Thanks for the advice on increasing RAM and switching to AMD processors.

To tell more about our DB: Our DB is transaction intensive. Interaction to the DB is through a web based application. Typically at any instant there are over 100 users using the application and we have customers  worldwide. The DB size is 10.89 GB with 250+ tables.
Also, regarding upgrading to 8.0, it is better to first upgrade to 7.4 (from 7.3.2--current version on production) and then upgrade to 8.0. Am I right?

Thanks,

Saranya