Обсуждение: pg replication tools?

pg replication tools?

От
sarlav kumar
Дата:
Hi all,

Which is the best available PG replication tool in market now?

From searching on the internet, I found some resources on the following tools used for replication :

  • postgres �R
  • Usogres
  • eRServer/Rserv/Dbmirror
  • PgReplicator
  • Mammoth PostgreSQL Replicator
  • Slony-I

Which one of these is a good option for replicating Postgres 7.3.2?

Thanks again,

Saranya

Do you Yahoo!?

Re: pg replication tools?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
sarlav kumar wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Which is the best available PG replication tool in market now?

There is no "best", there is only best for your situation. The two
most supported are:

>     * Mammoth PostgreSQL Replicator
>     * Slony-I
>
> Which one of these is a good option for replicating Postgres 7.3.2?

Mammoth PostgreSQL Replicator will automatically upgrade you to 7.3.8
which you should be running anyway.

I believe Slony will work with 7.3.2.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Thanks again,
>
> Saranya

> Read only the mail you want - Yahoo! Mail SpamGuard
> <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/spamguard/*http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail/static/protection.html>.

Re: pg replication tools?

От
Darcy Buskermolen
Дата:
On December 2, 2004 06:38 am, sarlav kumar wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Which is the best available PG replication tool in market now?
>
> From searching on the internet, I found some resources on the following
> tools used for replication :
>

>    postgres –R
>    Usogres
>    eRServer/Rserv/Dbmirror
>    PgReplicator
>    Mammoth PostgreSQL Replicator
>    Slony-I
>
> Which one of these is a good option for replicating Postgres 7.3.2?

What are your needs in a replication solution? for example, do you need to be
able to replicate a running install with out needing to initdb, do you want
to be able to replicate across versions; do you require sync or will async
work, etc..

--
Darcy Buskermolen
Wavefire Technologies Corp.

Re: pg replication tools?

От
Christopher Browne
Дата:
Clinging to sanity, jd@commandprompt.com ("Joshua D. Drake") mumbled into her beard:
> sarlav kumar wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>  Which is the best available PG replication tool in market now?
>
> There is no "best", there is only best for your situation. The two
> most supported are:
>

>>     * Mammoth PostgreSQL Replicator      * Slony-I
>>
>> Which one of these is a good option for replicating Postgres 7.3.2?
>>

> Mammoth PostgreSQL Replicator will automatically upgrade you to
> 7.3.8 which you should be running anyway.
>
> I believe Slony will work with 7.3.2.

No, it won't.

I believe there was something about namespace support that did not
stabilize until PostgreSQL 7.3.3, and Slony-I works with that version,
at the earliest.

And you're quite right; "best" is a slippery metric.  Like many
things, it may be altered by perspective.
--
If this was helpful, <http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=cbbrowne> rate me
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/postgresql.html

Re: pg replication tools?

От
"Vishal Kashyap @ [SaiHertz]"
Дата:
Go for Slony its best thing to start with.