Обсуждение: postgres eating CPU

postgres eating CPU

От
"silviapg@tiscali.it"
Дата:
Hi,

in March there was an interesting discussion on the list with the
subject "postgres eating CPU on HP9000".

Now I'm the same problem on a Dell dual processor machine.

Anybody know if there was a solution?

Thanks

Piergiorgio

Re: postgres eating CPU

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
> in March there was an interesting discussion on the list with the
> subject "postgres eating CPU on HP9000".

Link, please?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: postgres eating CPU

От
"silviapg@tiscali.it"
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:

>>in March there was an interesting discussion on the list with the
>>subject "postgres eating CPU on HP9000".
>>

>Link, please?

   http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2004-03/msg00380.php

Re: postgres eating CPU

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
> >>in March there was an interesting discussion on the list with the
> >>subject "postgres eating CPU on HP9000".

Aha, this one.   Yeah, I believe that they upgraded to 7.4 inorder to deal
with REINDEX issues.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: postgres eating CPU

Дата:
"silviapg@tiscali.it" <silviapg@tiscali.it> writes:
> in March there was an interesting discussion on the list with the
> subject "postgres eating CPU on HP9000".
>    http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2004-03/msg00380.php

Reviewing that, the problem is most likely that (a) they didn't have
max_fsm_pages set high enough to cover the database, and (b) they were
running 7.3.* which is prone to index bloat.

            regards, tom lane

Re: postgres eating CPU

От
"Joshua D. Drake"