Обсуждение: Speeding up Gist Index creations

Speeding up Gist Index creations

От
mallah@trade-india.com

Hi ,

Gist indexes take a long time to create as compared
to normal indexes is there any way to speed them up ?

(for example by modifying sort_mem or something temporarily )

Regds
Mallah.

Re: Speeding up Gist Index creations

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Mallah,

> Gist indexes take a long time to create as compared
> to normal indexes is there any way to speed them up ?
>
> (for example by modifying sort_mem or something temporarily )

More sort_mem will indeed help.  So will more RAM and a faster CPU.

Our GIST-index-creation process is probably not optimized; this has been
marked as "needs work" in the code for several versions.   If you know anyone
who can help Oleg & Teodor out, be put them in touch ...

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Speeding up Gist Index creations

От
Neil Conway
Дата:
On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 11:01, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Gist indexes take a long time to create as compared
> > to normal indexes is there any way to speed them up ?
> >
> > (for example by modifying sort_mem or something temporarily )
>
> More sort_mem will indeed help.

How so? sort_mem improves index creation for B+-tree because we
implement bulk loading; there is no implementation of bulk loading for
GiST, so I don't see how sort_mem will help.

-Neil

Re: Speeding up Gist Index creations

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Neil,

> How so? sort_mem improves index creation for B+-tree because we
> implement bulk loading; there is no implementation of bulk loading for
> GiST, so I don't see how sort_mem will help.

Ah, wasn't aware of that deficiency.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions