Обсуждение: query using cpu nearly 100%, why?

query using cpu nearly 100%, why?

От
LIANHE SHAO
Дата:
Hello,
I use php as front-end to query our database. When I use System Monitor to check the usage of cpu and memory, I noticed
thatthe cpu very easily gets up to 100%. Is that normal? if not, could someone points out possible reason?

I am using linux7.3, pgsql 7.3.4, 1G Memory and 2GHz CPU.

Regards,
William

Re: query using cpu nearly 100%, why?

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
On Friday 05 December 2003 21:03, LIANHE SHAO wrote:
> Hello,
> I use php as front-end to query our database. When I use System Monitor to
> check the usage of cpu and memory, I noticed that the cpu very easily gets
> up to 100%. Is that normal? if not, could someone points out possible
> reason?

The idea is that CPU should go to 100% when there's work to be done, and drop
off when the system is idle. There's nothing to be gained with having the CPU
at 50% and taking twice as long to perform a task.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

Re: query using cpu nearly 100%, why?

От
Neil Conway
Дата:
LIANHE SHAO <lshao2@jhmi.edu> writes:
> Hello, I use php as front-end to query our database. When I use
> System Monitor to check the usage of cpu and memory, I noticed that
> the cpu very easily gets up to 100%. Is that normal? if not, could
> someone points out possible reason?

You haven't given us nearly enough information about the problem to
allow us to provide any meaningful advice.

-Neil