Обсуждение: Adding foreign key performance

Adding foreign key performance

От
Jeff
Дата:
I recalled seeing a thread on -HACKERS about some major improvements to the speed of adding an FK to an existing table
in7.4. Naturally I was curious and decided to give it a whirl. My findings are not too good. In fact, they are bad.

Could it be this patch never made it in?

Anyway, here's the info.
Machine: Linux 2.4.18 [stock rh8], p3 500, 512mb, 4x18GB scsi raid 0

Two tables: members and watchedmembers with 1045720 and 829994 rows respectivly.

freshly vacuum analyze'd for each PG:

7.4b4, 10k shared buff, 256mb effective cache: 485706ms
7.3.4 [same settings]: 412304.76 ms

Now the odd thing during that operation was that the machine was about oh, 50-70% _idle_ during the whole time.

Then I started thinking more about it and realized hearing if you bump sort_mem up ridiculously high during a foreign
keyadd it helps.  So I did.  Bumped it up
to 256MB.

[again, vacuum analyze'd each beforehand]

7.3.4: 328912ms [cpu pegged]
7.4b4: 298383ms [cpu pegged]

Quite an improvement I'd say.

Perhaps we should make note of this somewhere? Performance guide? Docs?

And this leads to the place we'd get a huge benefit: Restoring backups.. If there were some way to bump up sort_mem
whiledoing the restore.. things would be much more pleasant. [Although, even better would be to disable FK stuff while
restoringa backup and assume the backup is "sane"] How we'd go about doing that is the subject of much debate.

Perhaps add the functionality to pg_restore? ie, pg_restore -s 256MB mybackup.db?
It would just end up issuing a set sort_mem=256000..

What do you guys think?

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/

Re: Adding foreign key performance

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Jeff wrote:

> I recalled seeing a thread on -HACKERS about some major improvements to
> the speed of adding an FK to an existing table in 7.4. Naturally I was
> curious and decided to give it a whirl. My findings are not too good. In
> fact, they are bad.
>
> Could it be this patch never made it in?

I think it went in between b4 and b5, can you try with b5?

Re: Adding foreign key performance

Дата:
Jeff <threshar@torgo.978.org> writes:
> I recalled seeing a thread on -HACKERS about some major improvements to the speed of adding an FK to an existing
tablein 7.4. Naturally I was curious and decided to give it a whirl. My findings are not too good. In fact, they are
bad.
> 7.4b4, 10k shared buff, 256mb effective cache: 485706ms

You are testing the wrong version.  beta5 has the ADD FOREIGN KEY improvement.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Adding foreign key performance

От
Jeff
Дата:
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:16:45 -0500
Jeff <threshar@torgo.978.org> wrote:

> 7.3.4: 328912ms [cpu pegged]
> 7.4b4: 298383ms [cpu pegged]

Just loaded up delicious 7.4b5 and wow...

sort_mem 8192:  137038ms [lots of tmp file activity]
sort_mem 256000: 83109ms

That's some good work there Lou, You'll make sargent for that someday.

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/
http://www.stuarthamm.net/

Re: Adding foreign key performance

От
"John K. Herreshoff"
FWIW:  I'm fiddling with that right now, and the FK think was quick...  a few
seconds...  the tables in question have 1400 records, 343000 records and 7200
records...  I'm running Beta5...

John.

On Tuesday 28 October 2003 10:21, Stephan Szabo wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Jeff wrote:
> > I recalled seeing a thread on -HACKERS about some major improvements to
> > the speed of adding an FK to an existing table in 7.4. Naturally I was
> > curious and decided to give it a whirl. My findings are not too good. In
> > fact, they are bad.
> >
> > Could it be this patch never made it in?
>
> I think it went in between b4 and b5, can you try with b5?

Re: Adding foreign key performance

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Jeff wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:16:45 -0500
> Jeff <threshar@torgo.978.org> wrote:
>

> > 7.3.4: 328912ms [cpu pegged]
> > 7.4b4: 298383ms [cpu pegged]
> >

> Just loaded up delicious 7.4b5 and wow...
>
> sort_mem 8192:  137038ms [lots of tmp file activity]
> sort_mem 256000: 83109ms

Hmm, 298383 -> 83109 (since those are the 256k numbers).  Not as
much as I'd have hoped, but I'll take a factor of 3.

Re: Adding foreign key performance

Дата:
John K. Herreshoff wrote:
> FWIW:  I'm fiddling with that right now, and the FK think was quick...  a few
> seconds...  the tables in question have 1400 records, 343000 records and 7200
> records...  I'm running Beta5...

Did those tables have analyze statistics?  Can you try it without
statistics (I think you have to drop the tables to erase the
statistics).

Re: Adding foreign key performance

От
Jeff
Дата:
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:32:36 -0800 (PST)
Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone.bigpanda.com> wrote:

> Hmm, 298383 -> 83109 (since those are the 256k numbers).  Not as
> much as I'd have hoped, but I'll take a factor of 3.

Yes. those are the numbers for 256MB of sort_mem.

It seemed to saturate the IO so once I get more disks in here it should
hopefully speed up.

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/
http://www.stuarthamm.net/

Re: Adding foreign key performance

От
"John K. Herreshoff"
Дата:
I'm not sure about the analyze stats...  Where would I find that  (in
postgresql.conf I suppose)  I'll go see what I have set up, and get back to
you in 30 minutes or less...

John.

On Tuesday 28 October 2003 13:34, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> John K. Herreshoff wrote:
> > FWIW:  I'm fiddling with that right now, and the FK think was quick...  a
> > few seconds...  the tables in question have 1400 records, 343000 records
> > and 7200 records...  I'm running Beta5...
>
> Did those tables have analyze statistics?  Can you try it without
> statistics (I think you have to drop the tables to erase the
> statistics).

Re: Adding foreign key performance

Дата:
John K. Herreshoff wrote:
> I'm not sure about the analyze stats...  Where would I find that  (in
> postgresql.conf I suppose)  I'll go see what I have set up, and get back to
> you in 30 minutes or less...

They are in pg_statistic.  If you have ever anaylzed the table, there
are stats.  I am interested in the non-analyze case because that's how
the data will load into a fresh db via pg_dump.

Re: Adding foreign key performance

От
"John K. Herreshoff"
Дата:
That did not take long... about 13 minutes to reload the tables from an *.mdb
file, and a second or two for each of the 'alter table foo add foreign
key...' lines.  I tried to drop a 'referencing' table, and the database would
not let me, said that something depended on it ;o)

Is there some way to name the foreign key so that it can be dropped later, or
is there a way to drop the foreign key using information already in the
database?

John.

On Tuesday 28 October 2003 13:34, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> John K. Herreshoff wrote:
> > FWIW:  I'm fiddling with that right now, and the FK think was quick...  a
> > few seconds...  the tables in question have 1400 records, 343000 records
> > and 7200 records...  I'm running Beta5...
>
> Did those tables have analyze statistics?  Can you try it without
> statistics (I think you have to drop the tables to erase the
> statistics).

Re: Adding foreign key performance

От
Vivek Khera
Дата:

J> And this leads to the place we'd get a huge benefit: Restoring
J> backups.. If there were some way to bump up sort_mem while doing
J> the restore.. things would be much more pleasant. [Although, even

There was a rather substantial thread on this about the time when
7.4b1 was released.

J> better would be to disable FK stuff while restoring a backup and
J> assume the backup is "sane"] How we'd go about doing that is the
J> subject of much debate.

If you're restoring from a pg_dump -Fc (compressed dump) it already
happens for you.  The indexes and foreign keys are not added until the
very end, from what I recall.

J> Perhaps add the functionality to pg_restore? ie, pg_restore -s
J> 256MB mybackup.db?  It would just end up issuing a set
J> sort_mem=256000..

This was essentially my proposal, though I had better speed
enhancement by increasing the number of checkpoint buffers.

Internet: khera@kciLink.com       Rockville, MD       +1-240-453-8497
AIM: vivekkhera Y!: vivek_khera   http://www.khera.org/~vivek/

Re: Adding foreign key performance

Дата:
John K. Herreshoff wrote:
> That did not take long... about 13 minutes to reload the tables from an *.mdb
> file, and a second or two for each of the 'alter table foo add foreign
> key...' lines.  I tried to drop a 'referencing' table, and the database would
> not let me, said that something depended on it ;o)
>
> Is there some way to name the foreign key so that it can be dropped later, or
> is there a way to drop the foreign key using information already in the
> database?

You have to use ALTER TABLE DROP CONSTRAINT perhaps.

Re: Adding foreign key performance

От
Jeff
Дата:
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:22:04 -0500
Vivek Khera <khera@kcilink.com> wrote:

> If you're restoring from a pg_dump -Fc (compressed dump) it already
> happens for you.  The indexes and foreign keys are not added until the
> very end, from what I recall.

This happens with regular dumps - at the end is a pile of alter table's
that create the indices, FK's and triggers.

Is the -Fc method different?

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/
http://www.stuarthamm.net/

Re: Adding foreign key performance

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
>>Just loaded up delicious 7.4b5 and wow...
>>
>>sort_mem 8192:  137038ms [lots of tmp file activity]
>>sort_mem 256000: 83109ms
>

> Hmm, 298383 -> 83109 (since those are the 256k numbers).  Not as
> much as I'd have hoped, but I'll take a factor of 3.

Hi Jeff,

Could you let us know the load times when you have done:

1. A full ANALYZE
2. A delete all from pg_statistic

So we can see if ANALYZE stats make much difference?

Chris

Re: Adding foreign key performance

От
Jeff
Дата:
On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 09:47:28 +0800
Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au> wrote:

> >>Just loaded up delicious 7.4b5 and wow...
> >>
> >>sort_mem 8192:  137038ms [lots of tmp file activity]
> >>sort_mem 256000: 83109ms
> >

> 1. A full ANALYZE
> 2. A delete all from pg_statistic

I had previously analyze'd before I ran those numbers.
But I did it again with and without stats.

With:
Run 1 Time: 80157.21 ms
Run 2 Time: 80763.59 ms

Killed statistics:

Time: 80571.71 ms
Time: 80759.18 ms

Chances are it is going to seq scan regardless so the stats are rather
useless.  Perhaps in other scenarios it would help.