Обсуждение: odbc - ssl: how-to-do-it.

odbc - ssl: how-to-do-it.

От
"John K. Herreshoff"
Дата:
Reading the adminstrator's guide (7.2 docs) about ssl let me get it up and
going on the PGSQL server (7.3.2).   I can connect to the database on my
local machine, but when I try to connect through the odbc driver (most
recent) on the win98 client machine, it says there is no entry in the
pg_hba.conf file.  If I turn ssl off in postgresql.conf, I connect ok with
the odbc driver on the win98 client machine.

Is there a way to get the postgresql odbc driver to work with openssl, or
should I instead use stunnel as a ssl wrapper?

John.

Re: odbc - ssl: how-to-do-it.

От
"Clay Luther"
Дата:
Actually, this touches on something that I've been wondering about.

Is there any way/what are the ways to secure the passwords sent by the PGODBC driver to the DB?

Clay
claycle@cisco.com

Re: odbc - ssl: how-to-do-it.

От
"Dave Page"

Use md5 passwords. It won't prevent a replay attack, but at least they
won't be plain text.

Regards, Dave.

Re: odbc - ssl: how-to-do-it.

От
Chris Gamache
Дата:
There is a commercial product built on the open-source ODBC driver that will
utilize an SSL connection and compression: They call it S/ODBC ...

http://www.commandprompt.com/entry.lxp?lxpe=142

I haven't tried it out yet. However, during my research of the product, I did
speak with a representative of the company who seemed very knowledgeable
regarding PostgreSQL. He was courteous as well.

CG

> > Actually, this touches on something that I've been wondering about.
> >
> > Is there any way/what are the ways to secure the passwords
> > sent by the PGODBC driver to the DB?
>
> Use md5 passwords. It won't prevent a replay attack, but at least they
> won't be plain text.
>
> Regards, Dave.

http://calendar.yahoo.com

Re: odbc - ssl: how-to-do-it.

Дата:
"Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> writes:
>> Is there any way/what are the ways to secure the passwords
>> sent by the PGODBC driver to the DB?

> Use md5 passwords. It won't prevent a replay attack, but at least they
> won't be plain text.

Actually md5 does make a replay attack substantially harder.  What goes
over the wire is an md5 checksum of the cleartext password plus username
plus a 4-byte salt chosen on-the-fly by the server.  So a replay
attacker would have to be lucky enough to be challenged with the same
salt he'd seen used before.

            regards, tom lane

Re: odbc - ssl: how-to-do-it.

От
"Dave Page"

Ahh, I thought it sent just the password checksum and compared it to the
md5 checksum in pg_shadow - thanks.

Regards, Dave.

Re: odbc - ssl: how-to-do-it.

От
"Dave Page"

Just specify md5 in your pg_hba.conf, and use encrypted passwords. eg.

CREATE USER john WITH ENCRYPTED PASSWORD 'BetchaCantGuessMe';

You'll also need a recent ODBC driver.

Regards, Dave.