Обсуждение: Postgresql.conf - which param for in memory keys and tables?

Postgresql.conf - which param for in memory keys and tables?

От
"Christian Hofmann"
Дата:
Hello,

Which param will I need to increase when I want postgresql to store the most
requested keys, maximum 500 MB, in memory and to store the mos requested
datasets, maximum 750 MB, in memory.

So when there is a select statement the memory will be consumed instead of
the slow disks.

I would guess these are parameters like work_mem or maintenance_work_mem,
but I am not sure.

Thank you,

Christian

Re: Postgresql.conf - which param for in memory keys and tables?

Дата:
"Christian Hofmann" <christian.hofmann@gmx.de> writes:
> Which param will I need to increase when I want postgresql to store the most
> requested keys, maximum 500 MB, in memory and to store the mos requested
> datasets, maximum 750 MB, in memory.
> So when there is a select statement the memory will be consumed instead of
> the slow disks.

This happens automatically because of kernel disk caching; you shouldn't
have to worry about it, assuming that you do actually have enough
memory.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Postgresql.conf - which param for in memory keys and tables?

От
"Christian Hofmann"
Дата:
Hello Tom,

> This happens automatically because of kernel disk caching;
> you shouldn't
> have to worry about it, assuming that you do actually have enough
> memory.

Thank you for your answer. Will this also be done automaticly on a windows
server 2003 server?

When I am looking at the task manager postgresql is only consuming 10MB and
there are 2GB Free of memory.
I have enought data that postgresql could load into the memory.

On the other hand I think as it is a disk caching issue I won't see anything
in the task-manager.
Maybe windows does not have such a disk caching or I haven't found it?

Thank you,

Christian